Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics Card Roundup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Love the article!

I'm really happy with my 2 xtreme's. Last month I cranked our A/C to 64f, closed all vents in the house except the one over my case and set the fans to 100%. I was able to game with the 2-2.1ghz speed all day at 4k. It was interesting to see the GPU usage drop a couple % while fps gained a few @ 4k and able to keep the temps below 60c.

After it was all said and done though, the noise wasn't really worth it. Stock settings are just barely louder than my case fans and I only lose 1-3fps @ 4k over that experience. Temps almost never go above 60c in a room around 70-74f. My mobo has the 3 spacing setup which I believe gives the cards a little more breathing room.

The zotac's were actually my first choice but gigabyte made it so easy on amazon and all the extra stuff was pretty cool.

I ended up recycling one of the sli bridges for my old 970's since my board needed the longer one from nvida. All in all a great value in my opinion.

One bad thing I forgot to mention and its in many customer reviews and videos and a fair amount of images-bent fins on a corner of the card. The foam packaging slightly bends one of the corners on the cards. You see it right when you open the box. Very easily fixed and happened on both of mine. To me, not a big deal, but again worth mentioning.

The EVGA FTW is a piece of garbage! The video signal is dropping randomly and make my PC crash on Windows 10. Not only that, but my first card blow up after 40 days. I am on my second one and I am getting rid of it as soon as Vega is released. EVGA drop the ball hard time on this card. Their engineering design and quality assurance is as worst as Gigabyte. This card VRAM literally burn overtime. My only hope is waiting a year and RMA the damn thing so I can get another model. The only good thing is the customer support... they take care of you.

Hupiscratch

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
It would be good if they get rid of the DVI connector. It blocks a lot of airflow on a card that's already critical on cooling. Almost nobody that's buying this card will use the DVI anyway.

Nuckles_56

Admirable

Two things here, most of the cards don't vent air out through the rear bracket anyway due to the direction of the cooling fins on the cards. Plus, there are going to be plenty of people out there who bought the cheap Korean 1440p monitors which only have DVI inputs on them who'll be using these cards

G

The best card out of box is eVGA FTW. I am running two of them in SLI under Windows 7, and they run freaking cool. No heat issue whatsoever.

Mike_297

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
I agree with 'THESILVERSKY'; Why no Asus cards? According to various reviews their Strixx line are some of the quietest cards going!

trinori

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
LOL you didnt include the ASUS STRIX OC ?!?
well you just voided the legitimacy of your own comparison/breakdown post didnt you...
"hey guys, here's a cool comparison of all the best 1080's by price and performance so that you can see which is the best card, except for some reason we didnt include arguably the best performing card available, have fun!"
lol please..

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

You 100% right. I simply got nothing yet. Not my fault. May be, they are not interested in a deeper look? No idea...
But the roundup is not closed. I'm updating it in Germany each month.

beshonk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
I got the PNY 1080 OC on sale at Frys for $570 ($599 with a $30 mail in rebate) in October. At that price, it's the real winner since it hits same clocks and has good temps. I don't find it noisy, either, actually my asus strix 970 was noisier under load.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
Many thanks to Tom's for this article. I especially enjoyed the fact that the reviewer is evidently quite knowledgeable with electronics. The best part of the review is definitely the Thermal Camera Imaging and the detailed examination of the cards for hotspots. Good job guys, bravo.

brucek2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Great article, but six months too late. The 1080s launched in May and rumors are the 1080ti may be less than a month away. Many people who wanted to be in on the 1080, made their purchase decision months ago. For people who chose to skip, it's not clear why now would be an especially smart time to jump back in. For the next major card launch, any chance we could see this sort of article much closer to the launch date?

Faux_Grey

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I own two of those Galax/KFA2 cards, I can tell you they're super-quiet, and they OC like a demon. (2.2Ghz stable on air!)
But, very heavy, and 3-slot. Includes a support-stick to mitigate this.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
To ensure that great articles like this one come to our attention as soon as they get published, one has to subscribe to the German (Tom's.de) feed since the OP was originally posted in German and Igor works for Tom's.de. All you have to do is visit Tom's.de and subscribe to the feed TESTBERICHTE Tom's Hardware. When I was kid, I took French instead of German. Fast-Forward 25 years later, I have only had to use French exactly one time in my career, but German keeps popping up here and there and I feel stupid that I didn't pick German instead of French.

Status
Not open for further replies.