Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Pascal Review

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
I'm pretty much at the same boat as both guys above me.
As an owner of 750Ti, I was expecting another great value stuff from nVidia for poorfag like me.
I want a card that can do a single 1080p on High and strong enough to sustain beyond 60fps while still at $120-150 price range or less, without any GPU power pin. The GTX950 just wasn't cut it. Let alone my mere 750Ti.
Either nVidia or AMD would have an SKU capable of this, I'm certain of it now. Even more so after I saw early prototype of Polaris 11 capable of.
But at this point, if the numbers add up. I don't think it would be the 1060. The power-performance may hit my desirable ballpark, but price? I don't think so. However, I'll be very happy to be proven otherwise. Even then, I'd still wait for AMD's responses.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Not really what? I can't tell which point you're responding to here.

I never mentioned resolution dependency, and it very much depends on the game. The custom settings I use for Crysis make even a 980 run below 60Hz at 1920x1200. Even for ED I had to set one in-game slider (SMAA I think) at one notch below max because otherwise it would exceed 4GB VRAM usage.

And even if a game at default max settings might run ok, then there are mods, etc., especially for titles like Skyrim.

And my point is that will never happen. As GPU power evolves, game developers exploit what is available to introduce new features and effects, driving complexity ever upwards. The advent of consumer VR that's actually worth buying is kicking this curve back even further. There are still numerous visual effects that games still do not have, because their complexity is too high atm (proper volumetric fluids such as water and lava, genuine surface erosion from fluids, gas modelling with proper effects such as correct fire and smoke, etc.); one can do all sorts of tricks to approximate these things, but the more GPU power is added, the more game developers will use up any spare performance to introduce more cool stuff into the latest games. It'll never end.

It's kinda funny actually, what you're looking for is similar to SGI's old ethos for visual simulation after they released InfiniteReality, ie. dropping below 60Hz was intolerable, so they introduced features such as Dynamic Resolution (sound familiar? But this was 20 years ago. :D)

But the consumer market doesn't operate this way. Most consumer buyers, even of higher end GPUs, are not that bothered about frame rates dropping down to 30 or 40 (hence why reviews will always describe any game running at such a rate as 'playable'; FPS fans may have stronger demands, but even then the majority are not demanding high frame rates). Minimum rates are another issue of course, but if that's where your focus lies, waiting for a consumer card that provides 60Hz minimum for any game that's current at the time of launch, well, that's just never going to happen.

Btw, irony with this is that the more one is exposed to high frame rate video, the less tolerant one is of lower refresh rates (ref. recent article in New Scientist).

My Crysis and Elite Dangerous configs both push a 1266MHz GTX 980 below 60Hz at 1920x1200.

There are no absolutes here. Acceptable visuals settings for a game at a particular resolution for you might be still not good enough for some other person A, while being total overkill for person B.

I've seen people posting on the OCN Skyrim mods thread who are using three Titans in order to get the performance they want because of the added visual complexity of the mods they're using.

Data expands to fill the space available. Game complexity will expand to soak up extra performance, piled on top with mods and players who like to max out details and customise everything with low level tweaks and ini's.

Ian.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
The way I see it, the poor performance in SolidWorks is almost certainly nVidia tailoring their non-professional drivers to give poor performance in SolidWorks so they can bilk SW users for more money. As has been shown in the past, their pro cards are the same silicon just for an outrageously high cost being justified by nVidia as "tailored performance for pro apps."

It is pretty clear that other pro apps perform very well with the card. I would not be surprised to see that in the not-to-distant future, that nVidia tailors the performance of consumer drivers to give poor performance in all pro apps. After all, the pro market is a large market to bilk.

Eventually, yes, GPUs may catch up. However, I think you're missing the math Ian is hinting at. And this goes to everyone else bemoaning the GPU not able to "max out" 4K gaming.

Look back at the resolutions that used to be the standard for 3D gaming and look at the pixel increase to get to the next common resolution, particularly as a percentage. Let's start with 1280x1024. 1440x900 is about the same total pixel count, 1600x900 is about 10% more pixels, 1680x1050 is about 35% more pixels, and 1600x1200 is a 47% increase.

Ok, now lets consider 1680x1050. Moving up to 1920x1080 is only a 17.5% increase whereas 1920x1200 is only 31% more pixels. Not insignificant hurdles, but not terribly demanding either.

With each resolution shift, we saw a brief period where GPUs had to catch up a little bit in order to "max out" games at the newer resolution. And as Ian says, this was compounded with games getting more demanding while the new GPUs were coming out. However, since the resolution bump was usually small ( especially in the last ten years, ) and because processing power was increasing exceptionally fast, it usually only took one GPU generations to do it, two at the most.

Now look at today. Moving from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440 is a 78% increase, which is much bigger than we've seen in a while. And it's arguable we still don't have a single GPU that can maintain 60fps minimum at 1440p ( the 980 Ti is close, but it still stumbles in a few titles ). This is a perfect example of Ian's shifting goalposts: as powerful as the 980 Ti is, a few games, especially newer ones, will still challenge it.

3840x2160 has 300% more pixels than 1920x1080 and 125% more than 2560x1440. We've never seen a resolution jump even doubling pixels, let alone quadrupling them. Even if you consider a 980 Ti as a 1440 "max out" GPU, you're expecting a 4K GPU the very next generation? That's ridiculous.

As a side note, it's fairly common for anti-aliasing to be included in the high quality detail presets. I'd be interested to see these 4K benches re-done on the same presets, but with AA turned off ( or at least turned down to 2x ). That's one of the biggest graphics sinks and one that's becoming increasingly unnecessary as resolution and PPI have gone up.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

Listen...none of what you're saying matters to me. What does matter to me is if this card can do 4k 60, which it cant. Now if you want to have a conversation about if i should have expected that or not then that's fine. However, the fact is I did (rightly or wrongly) , and it can't. So with that in mind, I'll stick with what I have now until a card can do what I want. As I said i'm prepared to wait several generations if need be.

The 295X2 isn't the most powerful graphics card anymore, the Fury Pro Duo is.
Maybe true but the 295X2 is the only cards in reviews I've seen that beat the 1080. Notice I asked for benchmarks with better cards.

j937621

Commendable
May 19, 2016
I am in the market for a new video card or cards to replace my MSI r9 295x2 that was an RMA disaster. MSI is a horrible horrible company and i will never buy another MSI branded product again. I was set to buy a Radeon Pro Duo when the new GTX 1080 was announced. Now i am torn on getting the Pro Duo or 2 GTX 1080 and running SLI. I have not been able to find any benchmarks for SLI GTX 1080 or any GTX1080 V Pro Duo Benchmarks. Does anyone know of anyone that received 2 of the GTX1080 for reviewing SLI with these cards?

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

MSI horrible? I find them to be great. I had a 7870 that died and and I rma it with no problem. I wanted an nvidia card of equal (more or less) power due to more stable drivers, and they gave me a gtx 660 ti with no questions asked. I just mentioned that i'd like one since i saw it was the competing card and they gave me one.

j937621

Commendable
May 19, 2016
It was a fiasco, sent the card in with a copy of the purchase receipt. After a couple weeks I get a response back that same model replacement was not available and was offered around 1/3 of the purchase price of the 295x2 that was just over a year into the 3-year warranty. I responded and explained why that offer was unacceptable and even said I would take cards that would match the 295x2 in crossfire. I received no response to several emails and then my voice messages were never responded to. Eventually I was able to get the rep on the phone and was told they would check with the RMA dept. and see what they could do and they would call me back, as you can guess I never received the calls back and would have to blow up the phones at MSI to get any sort of response. Eventually their solution was to send the card back to china for repairs but that would take 5 weeks. The rep advised that she would once again check with the RMA department for replacement options first. I heard nothing from the Rep and 2 weeks later when my emails went unanswered again I called her. She then told me that RMA had nothing and the card would now be sent to china. I waited awhile and sent several emails regarding the status of my RMA I got nothing. I then resorted to contacting the BBB and amazingly the day the complaint was filed with MSI I received several emails in response to all of the emails that had gone unanswered and the Rep was suddenly concerned for my situation. Eventually I received another email saying they would refund the purchase price of my card. It took over a week before I received another email stating a check would be mailed soon. I received no apologies for my extended wait, we aren’t talking just a couple weeks we are talking months and no offer from MSI to compensate for horrible experience with the RMA process. I have had long RMA processes before but never had to contact the BBB and even then those companies gave me a discount on purchasing different models to make up for my troubles.
During the process I found numerous others that had sent in Radeon 295x2 cards to MSI that were receiving the same treatment from MSI. The common solution offered from MSI was here take this 400.00-500.00 check to replace a $1500.00 graphics card. It would have been different if I could have found a card with similar performance at the 400.00 price tag.

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

That's...terrifying...

I'm saving your post as a reminder.

Are there any MSI guy here? Please confirm this. Preferably on a new thread.

Also, if you mean 1080 SLI is its scaling, my guess are about the same as Maxwell was. And tbh, I don't think reviewer gets 2 of these from nVidia. Remember when 980 and 970 reviewed? Or the 780 and 770? On average, it took about a month after that to figure it out as its already released on market and the reviewer had to buy the thing for that purpose.

Waseem Saker

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
this whole article is written like a video card called: Nvidia gtx 980Ti is not exist.
this is a joke.
i bet the performance gain between gtx 1080 and gtx 980ti is so minimal that mentioning gtx 980ti in this article will diminish the advertisement of 1080.

cmi86

Distinguished
Not bad but not really the quantum jump I was being told to expect, seems right in line with historically expected performance gains. I think I will wait for AMD, Fury X cards really closed a gap with Nvidia both in terms of performance and efficiency. The upcoming polaris cards are rumored/leaked/confirmed to be a huge tock in terms of GPU throughput and efficiency where as I see the 1080 as more of a tick.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
SMP could correct for perspective in curved displays if handled correctly and making some assumptions about seating distance and screen size (essentially solving the same perspective problem as 3 angled displays).

Also SMP could reduce the overhead of 3dvision for anybody that is still using that tech.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
If you have the money to now or at some near point buy two of the 1080s for sli, these are great cards and offer a lot of performance. But why would you just buy one 1080? Unless of course your current system is limited to one card or not contemplating 4k. One of these with aftermarket partner cooling will cost probably $660-680. For an extra $100-120 you will be able to purchase 2x1070s for sli with numbers that will blow one 1080 away, being a true 4k solution.

It doesn't appear these will have the memory issues like the 970s and the write ups indicate that these cards are engineered to work better in slis. .

At least someone seems to like it.

TechPowerUp:
"...the GeForce GTX 1080, is a true marvel in silicon engineering."
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/32.html

HiTech Legion:
"The new Performance King has arrived; its name is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, it’s finally time for you give up branding bias and go with what makes the most sense based on technology, price and performance."
http://www.hitechlegion.com/video-cards/48249-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review-the-advent-of-pascal?showall=&start=8

Hot Hardware:
"the GeForce GTX 1080 is one of the most impressive and well-rounded graphics cards we have tested to date. If you’re shopping for a high-end graphics card, the GeForce GTX 1080 is the one to get – bar none."
http://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal-gpu-review?page=9

Hexus:
"Want the best consumer graphics card in the world? The GeForce GTX 1080, in no uncertain terms, is it."
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/92846-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-founders-edition-16nm-pascal/?page=13

NeoSeeker:
"There we have it folks. The HYPE is actually real!"
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-founders-edition/5.html

Overclockers Club:
"Truly, this card brought me back to the screen for some gameplay."
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_geforcegtx_1080_founders_edition/11.htm

KitGuru:
"The Nvidia GTX1080 is without question a truly phenomenal graphics card."
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/nvidia-gtx-1080-graphics-card-review/33/

TweakTown:
"The GeForce GTX 1080 is the most exciting video card in years."
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7703/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review-hail-king-baby/index12.html

PC Perspective:
"If you are PC gamer, regardless of your current GPU commitments, you WANT to see launches like this, ones that push the envelope and make competitors work harder to keep up. NVIDIA’s GP104 launch does exactly this."
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/GeForce-GTX-1080-8GB-Founders-Edition-Review-GP104-Brings-Pascal-Gamers/Sound

Hardware Canucks:
"I can’t remember the last time a product allowed me to write from the heart instead of trying to place some kind of positive spin on the latest yearly stutter that may have brought a bit more performance to the table. Pascal and by extension the GTX 1080 have changed that in a big way by offering a leap forward in terms of graphical efficiency, overall performance and a top-to-bottom feature set."
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/72619-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review-25.html

Guru3d:
"We've got to go Daft Punk here as Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger does sum it up."
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review,30.html

TechSpot:
"The GeForce GTX 1080 is the new GPU king and we expect it to sit in the throne for some time to come. It is hands down, the fastest graphics card you can get, and it does so without resorting to sky-high Titan-like pricing or other compromises."
http://www.techspot.com/review/1174-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080/page10.html

TechGage:
"After taking a look at our performance results, and poring over all that Pascal brings to the table, the GTX 1080 earns, without hesitation, one of our Editor’s Choice awards."
http://techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review-a-look-at-4k-ultra-wide-gaming/8/

HardOCP:
"The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 is a marvel of engineering and gaming performance. It performs amazingly, it's power efficient, there's potential for higher clocks, and it is feature rich. The GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition is the fastest video card on the planet when it comes to today's games. And the GTX 1080 is not just a little faster than yesterday's flagship GPUs, it is a lot faster."
http://hardocp.com/article/2016/05/17/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1080_founders_edition_review/14#.Vz6O2o-cGUk

Legit Reviews:
"It’s only fitting that the GeForce GTX 1080 came out 30 years to the week after ‘Top Gun’ came out. Because we all feel the need for speed and the GeForce GTX 1080 is the fastest graphics card ever made!"
http://www.legitreviews.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-founders-edition-video-card-review_181298/14

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Its a nice increase over the 980 this is intended to replace, waiting for is the TI flavor and see if it matches the same upgrade % from the 980ti - If that baby have HBM it's a rather safe bet it can handle 4k@60fps with flying colors...

termathor

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2015
"As a multi-monitor gamer, I’m cautiously optimistic that game developers will incorporate SMP to make playing across three angled screens perspectively correct."

Good luck with that ! SLI has been here for what, 10 years, and most games of today can't run SLI.
So, SMP is gonna be niche for many years.

I have used SLI on and off since 2 X GTX 480's and never had issues playing games in SLI.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Indeed. Factor in game mods and people wanting custom settings (like I do with Crysis) and the notion of a "max out GPU" for any generation at any time for all games is just daft.

Not much one can do if logic and reason have no effect on someone's opinion. Feel free to continue to believe that some mystical mega GPU will one day drop down from the heavens, because I can guarantee that will never, ever happen. What you want has never existed, doesn't exist, never will exist, it's simply not a product that any part of the gaming industry is remotely interested in creating, for reasons I mentioned earlier. And why should anyone make such a thing, since top-end performance is precisely the whole point of SLI/CF anyway. There is no sensible market rationale for the kind of product you're looking for, no company in their right mind would make something like that.

I don't understand why you can't get that by the time the next top-end GPU is out, games that are current in that future time will also have moved on, placing more demands on the hw, raising the visual fidelity bar yet again. Game developers and GPU designers simply don't design products or games with an SGI-style min-60Hz level in mind; they never have and they never will, not as long as the vast majority of gamers are happy with frame rates being in the 30s or 40s, and the advent of newer display tech makes many of the older issues irrelevant now.

What you're looking for is a GPU holy grail. Doesn't exist, never will.

Well, not unless we get a real revolution in tech, like overnight affordable quantum computing or something. :D

Ian.

5lush

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
Would people agree that upgrading to a 1080 would be worth it from two 780s? I held of the 9xx series cards as didn't think it was worth the upgrade but think that the 1080 probably is. Advice would be appreciated?

Status
Not open for further replies.