Nvidia: GeForce GTX 480 Was Designed to Run Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
"The chip is designed to run at high temperature so there is no effect on quality or longevity."

sure, we'll see in a few months when people's cards start dying from the heat.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Well considering that most GPUs seem to have a meltdown temperature of 115C... I wonder what the threshold is this time.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]xenol[/nom]Well considering that most GPUs seem to have a meltdown temperature of 115C... I wonder what the threshold is this time.[/citation]
105c is what has been said over and over, the chip regularly seems to go into 90-100c depending on case but never really gets over 100c the fan is pretty lenient only really pumping up the speed when it gets past 95c

It was the right move by nvidia to get more performance for the exchange of heat and power, first off it's a massive chip they aren't going to make great money on it if the card wasn't expensive.

to justify the expensive card they need it to be at least competitive in a price range, although just barely competitive the GTX 470 and competitive in another way as being the most powerful gpu being the GTX 480 nvidia can still turn a profit on selling the cards

instead of selling an under powered mess for much cheaper like ATI had to for their 2600 Xt etc that ran hot used alot of power and still did not compete.

I do agree in thinking it was the right move, as for the ones saying it would die in a few months, that's unlikely probably sooner then most but you realize most chips could last 10-20 years depending on quality and more likely is the board will fail long before the chip, so what's it to you if it only last 4-5 years when you should probably trade up by then.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
The chip is designed to run at high temperature so there is no effect on quality or longevity. We think the tradeoff is right.

...because heat radiating in a case is never an issue to the surrounding components, right?

(I, personally, like it when I have to connect an air conditioning unit directly onto my modded case - not like I have any hearing left after cranking my games loud enough to be heard.)

kravmaga

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
[citation][nom]rigaudio[/nom]"We wanted your chips to last longer, so we made them run really really hot."Does not compute.[/citation]

Those are misleading quotation marks; that ain't what they said at all.
They said the high power requirements were a tradeoff for performance and that the chip itself was designed to be able to take the heat so its longevity won't be affected by higher temps.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Well, that's reassuring (not sarcasm).

It's nice when ANY company comes forward and says "We know that XXXXX is above what is considered the norm (in this case heat), but we designed it to have a higher threshold and withstand prolonged use... you'll have about the same lifespan as any other card"

Not that I think anyone was really worried, I doubt they would release it otherwise.

So, he says that more heat and more power means better performance on GPU.

Just can I ask something, Where are the more heat and more power that use the 5970, 5870 or 5850, because in the benchmarks you see a better performance against fermi with less power and heat. Do I'm wrong?

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Maybe this card is meant to run hot, maybe it isn't. Whatever the case might be I do know this; Every other component of the pc isn't meant to run hot. When you stick this next to your brand spanking new 930 how do you think it's going to respond? Let's see, a 50c 5870 vs a 100c 480. 50c difference, what's that going to do to every other temp in your case?

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]SAINT19[/nom]So, he says that more heat and more power means better performance on GPU.Just can I ask something, Where are the more heat and more power that use the 5970, 5870 or 5850, because in the benchmarks you see a better performance against fermi with less power and heat. Do I'm wrong?[/citation]

Well you only see better performance than fermi in most games when using the 5970, fermi beats out 5870 and 5850 in some/most other applications.

So it is by far the worlds fastest single GPU core, not fastest single slot solution.

And yes, You Am Wrong. (spelling?) i dunno.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]flyinfinni[/nom]Ok, so they had to choose performance or low power/heat? How the heck did ATI get performance almost as good, while still using ridiculously low power and heat?[/citation]

there there......CUDA will fix everything.....

ColliSions

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
You guys here whine so much about the heat, my xfx 8800gt has been ~100c under load for the past 2 years and its still running fine. Sometimes it does reach the shutdown threshold (110c) while playing Crysis for 2 hours but so far it hasn't failed..

Status
Not open for further replies.