Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Core Review: GF110 On A Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernst56

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I just recently replaced an aging 8800 GTS with the 2GB Twin Frozr 560TI card. I have a large case with 7 fans and with a fan profile running the Twin Frozr at 70%, I can overclock to well past 570 performance.

Since I got the card, with a game, for $249, I'm very happy. An hour of MW3 or SC2 at max settings shows a max temp of 53C.

nhat11

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
In the battlefield 3 tests, why aren't the testers testing the settings on Ultra? I don't care about settings on high.

borden5

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
thanks for great article, does anyone notice the 6950 1gb vs 2gb give same performance even tho at higher resolution ??

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]nhat11[/nom]In the battlefield 3 tests, why aren't the testers testing the settings on Ultra? I don't care about settings on high.[/citation]

Because none of these cards are fast enough to run on Ultra unless you're going to drop resolution, and nobody buys this class of card to run below 1080p.

We try to make our benchmark settings realistic, not theoretical.

jimmy-bee

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Wow, I hate to see the death of 1920 x 1200 resolution monitor to be replaced by 1080P. But liked this benchmark since I have a 560Ti. Always used Tom's benchmarks to help me decide on video cards.

G

I'm with nhat11.

I play my BF3 on Ultra settings and 1080p with the 6950 2GB. Ans this is not "theoretical". So if the framerate its 10fps everybody should know.

I always find it almost shocking that the 6950 1gb and 2gb models have basically identical framerates even at 2560x1600 in all of these super demanding games. Do we really need more than 1gb VRAM? I always think about going triple monitors, and always think my 1gb is going to be a drawback...

badtaylorx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
it really bugs me when Nvidia does this crap!!!

id like to see if this thing is any better than a Sparkle GTX 560 Ti DF Calibre

i highly doubt it

the other thing that stands out here is AMD's ever increasing performance on the HD 6970!!!

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
On the Zotac page you write

Zotac’s option is based on its GeForce GTX 570 AMP! Edition card.
The 448-core card doesn't get the designation of being one of Zotac's AMP! models

yet in the conclusion on the same page you write

The Zotac GeForce GTX 560 AMP! Edition has an MSRP of $299

Either I am misunderstanding this, or one of those are wrong.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]Ernst56[/nom]I just recently replaced an aging 8800 GTS with the 2GB Twin Frozr 560TI card. I have a large case with 7 fans and with a fan profile running the Twin Frozr at 70%, I can overclock to well past 570 performance.Since I got the card, with a game, for $249, I'm very happy. An hour of MW3 or SC2 at max settings shows a max temp of 53C.[/citation]
I've used a GTX560ti in school with BF3 and it gets mid 50's Celcius with room temp of 60f with A/C.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
My favorite part of the review was how min FPS values were included for Batman, AND the comment that the game was unplayable in the first set of tests due unacceptable min values.

Too many times do I see this sort of thing overlooked. Great job!

G

how the hell were those temperatures so low ?
i mean 34c is in idle mode for my msi r6950 tf3 pe/oc

banthracis

Distinguished
[citation][nom]wolfram23[/nom]I always find it almost shocking that the 6950 1gb and 2gb models have basically identical framerates even at 2560x1600 in all of these super demanding games. Do we really need more than 1gb VRAM? I always think about going triple monitors, and always think my 1gb is going to be a drawback...[/citation]

2560x1600 is 4mp whilst 3 1080p monitors is 6mp, a 50% increase. This makes a significant difference especially if you enable AA options. On a xfire 5850 setup I used to run, several games simply would not run at all (Shogun 2, GTA IV, Crysis come to mind) at 3240x1920, but would run fine if I lowered the resolution. Switching to a 2x 2gb 6950 setup allowed 3240x1920 to run.

Remember, most review sites simply do no do multi monitor reviews. If the cases where they are done, like the below HardOCP article, there are very clear cases where VRAM walls are hit in triple monitor gaming. In this specific case, tri fire 6970 were able to beat tri sli 580's simply because the 580's didn't have sufficient VRAM even with 1.5gb.

Is VRAM an issue at 1080p? No. Don't bother worrying about it. However if you're using multimonitorssetups, it makes a big difference.
http://hardocp.com/article/2011/04/28/nvidia_geforce_3way_sli_radeon_trifire_review/2

Ok, here are the ingredients:

- Short lived "special" video card
- XMas season
- Option to unlock/OC to the next tier
- Limited quantity

Ok, this might not be in everybody's pleasure to read, but I think it's a sadistic way to get more green juice out of fanbois. This card will be at the GTX570 levels or more (price wise). Supply and demand tell me so.

I don't know if we'll be able to recommend this card at all =/

Cheers!

G

Why oh why there is never a good low end integrated or at least reasonably priced GPU given for comaprison in the charts. The numbers are quite helpless until I understand how much money I must spend to get N time the performance. People buy card only very rarely - and mostly are coming from low end or at least 2-3 generations back - never from another super card. So at least one low end comparison would be nice to show what this amount of money can do.

banthracis

Distinguished
[citation][nom]scatman[/nom]Why oh why there is never a good low end integrated or at least reasonably priced GPU given for comaprison in the charts. The numbers are quite helpless until I understand how much money I must spend to get N time the performance. People buy card only very rarely - and mostly are coming from low end or at least 2-3 generations back - never from another super card. So at least one low end comparison would be nice to show what this amount of money can do.[/citation]

You'll have to define reasonably priced. For many enthusiast's a $250 card is a reasonable price. As for integrated cards, no point including them in the test and they simply will not run the majority of these tests. Adding the equivalent of a line saying zero for each of these test's is kinda silly.

To get >0 for integrated cards you'd need much lower settings which are no longer representative of the common settings used by gamers and wouldn't allow the high end GPU to distinguish amongst themselves since they wouldn't be stressed. You'll have shifted bottleneck to CPU and at that point you''ll essentially be looking at a CPU performance graph.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]LothDK[/nom]Either I am misunderstanding this, or one of those are wrong.[/citation]

You forgot option 3: We're wrong!

Fixed, thanks for the heads up. :)

So... this is a $300 novelty card, when you can get a factory OC 570 for $300 after rebates most of the time. I have grown fond of Zotac over the last few years, but I think most people will pass on this.

Also, I think this review really drives home the point that AMD really owns the midrange market for $/performance. I would have gotten an AMD myself except that I edit video more than game, and CUDA is wonderful to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.