Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Founders Edition Review: Replacing GeForce GTX 1080

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
There are really no bad modern graphics cards. There are only badly priced cards.

This is a badly priced card. The entire 2000 series is badly priced compared to what we use to get.

The GPU market has been crap for more then a year now, sucks! Historically performance/$ has gone up about 30% each generation. To have it instead go down sucks. Your choice is to buy 2 year old tech for 2 year ago prices(roughly same price today as it was 2 years ago), or buy overpriced 2000 series stuff with worse performance/$ then the 2 year old stuff.

I'll wait for 7nm cards...at least it should be less then a year now. Save me 7nm, you're my only hope.

Please AMD come out with something good on 7nm, nvidia shit the bed on performance/$.

I am tired of seeing this allusion. It is NOT AMD FAULT if Nvidia is driving their prices up.

This argument is the one of someone wanting to buy an Nvidia card, but don`t agree with the price. These people are never going to buy an RTG product.

Nvidia do so, because they know some of their blind cultist fan will follow them to Jonestown. In reality, they are doing this, the whole RTX thing, to draw AMD in a corner to get the upper hand in the long run over gimmicks. So basically they are doing that for their investors, and not you, the gamers.

If you want to send a message, don`t buy at these prices, however I don`t believe it will be possible due to the size of the dies and the GDDR6. No way in hell this will come down in price without killing Nvidia profit margin greatly.

Basically, Nvidia knew that going from 16nm to 12nm would not be a game changer. They were not expecting a revolution but with their stock price they had to sell one... and that was exactly it.

It never was about the quality of the cards. I do believe they are awesome cards... however they offer the worst value ever in the GPU business.

Nvidia got burned with bigger dies and GDDR6, worst than AMD with HBM.

As funny and as expensive as Vega 7nm sound with 32 GB of HBM2, I would be curious to see if it would not be retailing near the 2080 TI. Now it seems there is a business for these crazy priced cards.

The question is, would you buy it even if AMD was releasing something? Or would you buy an RTX card if the price was to drop to AMD value?

This is my point, people want an Nvidia card at AMD price. It never was about saying no to Nvidia tactics or wanting AMD to trump Nvidia... it is all about getting an Nvidia card at a more reasonable price... which I believe is simply hypocrite.

I have a 1080 TI and this is my last Nvidia card ever. They are going to screw someone else. People need to stand for their values and say no to that kind of business.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Truth to that: the 1070 and 1080 shared the same GPU (GP104), whereas the RTX 2070 uses TU106 while the RTX 2080 uses TU104.

This goes a long way towards explaining the larger performance gap, but then the mystery is why it's not also accompanied by a larger price gap. Perhaps the RTX 2070 is the card whose price will drop fastest, and then we'll see it. But Pascals have got to sell out, first.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I dunno. Depends on how you feel about perf/W. I have difficulty recommending Vega 64, unless you also need a space heater.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014

We should make an App! Call it "Space Heater" and it's just an animated image of a space heater while the Video Card gets maxed out and heats up your otherwise cold downstairs office.

Krazie_Ivan

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
thx for the testing & fair conclusion.

RTX=On won't offer playable framerates if the 2080ti barely does at 1080p ... and DLSS is still AWOL. even given Nvidia had to add silicon for those "features" (& incurred costs from that), it's offering zero benefit to consumers as of yet, and we'd be paying for nothing.

so we're left with raster performance to measure against price, and value of 30mo old previous Pascal series as competition ...which still hasn't come down below it's own launch msrp. for the 2070 to offer appreciable performance/currency value based on steps from Keplar-present, we'd expect it to beat a 1080ti by 5-10% with a $400 msrp ...and that still leaves us with an extra year+ of development time unaccounted-for.

instead, we're looking at 35-45% less expected performance for $100-200 more.

yikes :/

Oct 16, 2018
WQHD Performance Index for Tom's GeForce RTX 2070 Launch Review

152.2% ... GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE
131.4% ... GeForce RTX 2080 FE
108.4% ... GeForce RTX 2070 FE
124.5% ... GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
100% ..... GeForce GTX 1080 FE
92.6% .... GeForce GTX 1070 Ti FE
80.2% .... GeForce GTX 1070 FE
96.4% .... Radeon RX Vega 64 Reference
85.2% .... Radeon RX Vega 56 Reference

Index from 15 other launchreviews with an overall performance index of the GeForce RTX 2070 launch here:
https://www.3dcenter.org/news/geforce-rtx-2070-launchreviews-die-testresultate-zur-wqhd-performance-im-ueberblick

This has rather ominous implications for the 2060. If they price it anywhere near in line with the 1060 that leaves a $200+ hole in their product stack. And it would have to be in the neighborhood of $350 to close the gap, which would be ludicrous and just push the hole further down the line. $250 msrp 2050 ti? I don't think so. But I can't see them conceding an entire price point, or rather, an entire price range. All I can think is that they're cashing in as long as they can. Once they're finally forced to release the 1060 they'll do so and also drop prices across the board, or maybe release an RTX Titan.

Strider_X

Honorable
Feb 26, 2015
Thanks for the continuous reviews and updates as these cards roll out.
Many of us skip generations for our upgrades, so guys like me who are still on a GTX980 have saved some cash by not buying a 10 series. Our question isn't 'which current card is the best value?', it is 'Should we upgrade yet?' I'm playing BF1 at decent frame rates on an HD monitor.
It would be nice if you kept two generations of info on your graphs so we don't have to go back to old reviews for comparison. Any chance you have 980/980ti info for HD and QHD handy?

It's pretty simple actually. Nvidia is being forced to use this strategy.

1)Nvidia really doesn't have any competition right now, so they can set whatever price levels they want. Also new high end hardware is usually more expensive especially in the beginning.

2)More importantly there is still a pretty big stock of last gen Nvidia GPUs in the market while the RTX stock is pretty low. If the new RTX models were priced competitively no one would buy a last gen GPU, which is bad for Nvidia, and it can't lower its Pascal prices even further since it will create more internal competition with its new Turing GPUs.

So either way Nvidia is really winning with its strategy. In the near future when all the old cards are gone from the market and AMD releases new competitive (hopefully) GPU models it will be forced to lower its prices and later even release new faster (Turing refresh) models.

Illuminist

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
It wasn't really mentioned what not having SLI on the 2070 means, they dont want you buying 2 of these to get way better performance than a 2080ti for less money, and that sickens me.

Also, why isn't someone pointing out the blatant fact that on the 70 80 and 80ti cores have been disabled making it seem like they are holding back the unlocked ones for next year, they didn't have competition so they didn't need to unlock to make a % increase on pascal. This sickens me too.

Also by the way, when i read people bad mouthing AMD, just know that the vega 64 is level with a 2080 in black ops 4, the new forza and monster hunter world.... your group brainwashing will ignore this fact, but it's worth noticing.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

Woah there! What's your point? Are you saying that Vega 64 is as good as the RTX 2080? I'm being serious, its not clear what you're trying to communicate.

I can say for certain that its not uncommon for video cards to have a little variability between titles. This article in particular illustrates that Vega 64 is strong in Far Cry 5 and Forza but weak in Destiny 2, GTA 5, and World of Warcraft. Every other benchmark shows that Vega 64 competes in the same ballpark as the GTX 1080. That's where it should be.

Pleeeease consider the possibility that you might be biased towards AMD and you're not viewing these benchmarks objectively.

Illuminist

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017

The point i'm trying to communicate is simply that in 3 (that i know of) brand new titles the 2080 and vega 64 are almost identical in framerates... thats it. Just pointing out that in Dx12 and vulcan (which will become more and more common) The vega 64 which people seem to think is trash is competing now with a £799 card "next gen" card.

I have no bias except what makes sense for me as a consumer and my hard earned wages based on emotionless recently gathered data.

But my bigger point was about the disabled cores on the 70 80 and 80ti in preparation to sting people next year with the unlocked ones.

AMD is the platform of devs. These games are made on consoles and ported to PC. It was AMD plan since the get go. Their plan to get the horinzontal market. It is just starting to port fruit and it is going to be worst when Navi become the console standard, and become a PC product.

Remember The Witcher 3 with the whole Gameworks fiasco? When AMD was not trying to fix the Gameworks sabotage, my CF setup with 2X290x was running around 60 FPS. Even my TI is actually slower than the perfoirmances I was getting.

s1mon7

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018
That's the most disappointing x70 series card in almost 10 years now. In the last few generations, a new x70 was always faster than previous gen x80Ti and priced at $400-$500. This is merely faster than a 1080 and the price is what we would normally expect from a xx80 card, just named "7"instead of "8" to hide the fact that there are merely 10% performance gains over the last generation. This card is in the same price tier as the most expensive Pascal at launch and offers minuscule gains over it 2.5 years later.

So the reality is that naming tricks aside, taking actual pricing into account, this card is really a 2080 that performs like a 1080, the 2080 we got is really a 2080TI that performs like a 1080Ti, and we have ~10% progress over the last generation with a %15-20 price increase in all tiers (except the bonkers priced 2080Ti which is almost double what the 1080Ti went for). That's simply horrible. Looks liike we need AMD back and Intel in the GPU space to get exciting products again.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah, but you can do RAY TRACING!

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
How is $600 "affordable" for a mid-range card? Unless you're rich, by which point you might as well get 2 or 3 RTX 2080 Ti's in SLI (depending if you're using a server board with 2 CPUs for more processing power).

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

*80 Ti cards always have some cores (and sometimes memory channels) disabled. The next Titan should be at or near fully-enabled. Or, you can pay megabucks for a Quadro RTX 6000, which seems to have a fully-enabled TU102 GPU.

Maybe I missed it, but why do we think the RTX 2070 has cores disabled? The GTX 1070 did, but that's because it used the same chip as the GTX 1080.

Sounds almost too good to be true. I would want to look closely at the settings, for one thing. Link?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Yeah, I can see price drops in the next 6 months and a 7 nm refresh within a year. That would teach a lesson to all the geniuses who decided to "just buy" a RTX 2000 card. Especially given that they're still spending yet more of their life not looking at ray traced pixels.