Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Founders Edition Review: Replacing GeForce GTX 1080

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

How do you know it's not simply due to yield? 12 nm is a pretty new process node and these are pretty big chips. Maybe it wasn't practical to launch with more cores enabled?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I actually had a chance to ask some AMD employees about this, recently. They said the ported code usually bares little resemblance to the original (whether originally developed on the console or PC) and that most ports are outsourced to firms that just do game ports. I'm sure it sometimes happens, but it's seems mostly just wishful thinking.

I think the bigger win from being in the consoles is all the input and feedback AMD gets from developers at Microsoft and Sony.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I have a slightly different take on it. It's using a TU106, so it should really be compared against the GTX 1060. That would provide a proper performance increase, except they can't do it because of the price disparity.

Imagine the 2080 is really somewhere in between where the 2070 and 2080 were planned to be. And this was planned to be the 2060. But then they got burned by chips' sizes and the poor yields, resulting in higher than intended pricing. This caused them to switch around the lineup, and might've even accounted for some of the launch delays.

cewhidx

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

What I think will end up happening is that the RTX 2070 ti will come out replacing the RTX 2070 in that price point, pushing the 2070 down a couple hundred bucks...well maybe not that much, but a bit anyway.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

Nvidia has hit all of the meaningful performance points with the 2080Ti, 2080, and 2070. I can't see a good place for a 2070Ti.

I think your idea has merit though and I wonder if other video cards in their lineup will use a Ti version to help fill holes in their price points. The 2070 replaces the 1080, but the 2060 doesn't have to replace the 1070. There could be a 2060Ti for that, then the normal 2060 could fit in at a reasonable price point of $250 or so.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
I've always been very happy with my NVIDIA GPU products (I usually go with the EVGA variety), and I'm fortunate enough that I can throw some stupid amounts of money at my PC, but even I think they've over-reached a bit on pricing with the RTX series.

I don't know what NVIDIA's RTX sales numbers are, but when $400 doesn't even put you in the middle of their product line-up, and essentially relegates cash strapped kids into "entry level" products, then they're leaving a HUGE door open for AMD Radeon (and possibly even Intel).

NVIDIA would do well to take a lesson from that particular demographics willingness to embrace Ryzen over Intel CPU's.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

They also seem to love oddball memory sizes. Various Pascal GPUs came with 3, 5, and 11 GB, not to mention the more normal quantities.

Heh, if they offered 7 GB, the'd have all the primes covered up to & including 11.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
gigabyte has a 1070ti windforce 3x for $370 right now on new egg. last month they had the gigabyte 1070ti windforce 2x for $360. it never last more that 3 days at that price though. they claim brand new cards and they have the full warranty but it look like the package had been opened. runs fine. fans work. warranty is good.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
vega 64 is terrible. I really wanted to buy one and use freesync but 220 more watts of power for slower performance on a card that always way over MSRP if ever in stock. they need to do a vega+ card on 12NM like they did with ryzen. vega 56 is a way better card they to get vega 56 down to 300 bucks and they would grab tons of marketshare

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
i paid $329 for a 970 4 or 5 years ago and $359 for a 1070TI last month you just have to be patient and check prices all the time because flash sales where they slash the price for 6 hours are where they bargains are.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

The 970 only launched about 4.2 years ago.

I got a 980 Ti for only about $450. In that case, I waited until the 1080 launched and the 1070 was either announced or had launched (I forget which). If you really waited, you could even snag one for like $400. To bad 1080 Ti prices didn't reach the same levels, but that's probably one reason the RTX series launched at such a high price point.