Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition Review: A Titan V Killer

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I'm not sure about that, since Nvidia themselves make the distinction between their FE cards and the reference design. Do you actually know that they provided their FE design to AiB partners? Since they're now more serious about competing with them, maybe they don't.

Yeah, that's an odd statement for @David_326 to make, since the Titan V was never a cost-effective gaming option. Unless you have unlimited funds, the Titan V was stillborn, as a gaming product. And if you have unlimited funds, then price wouldn't even be a consideration in judging the new RTX cards.

For the first FE cards, yes. The current ones I am only assuming the only thing not delivered would be the binned chips. But typically nVidias base design is the reference design so the FE car design would be what a basic GPU from Asus, EVGA etc should be based on (PCS design and power delivery etc).

If you go to nVidias website they have the specs for FE and reference. The only difference is the clock speed and I bet the PCB and power delivery are the same. Just the binned chips clocked higher.

I also doubt nVidia will stop AiBs from offering higher binned chips for OCing. The AiBs would not be too happy about being pushed out of the higher speed parts market.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

This will be interesting to learn. I'm looking forward to Igor's teardowns of AiB cards.

I think Nvidia is quite willing to push around its AiBs. They're in a position of strength and they know it.

phobicsq

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
I'm curious how many people complaining about the price bought a iphone x for a grand plus? I'm not big on the increase but I'm sure the next gen may be lower. I'm not replacing my 1080ti just yet.

logainofhades

Titan

Definitely not me. I don't buy anything Apple, nor would I spend that much on any phone. I have a strict policy of not buying a phone that costs as much, if not more, than a decent laptop.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

That still leaves room for a pretty expensive phone.

I spent $250 on my current phone, and it still does everything I need. When the battery capacity drops too low, I don't think I can stomach paying even twice as much. I think Apple and Google are going to get burned by these insane prices, in the not-too-distant future.

I got lucky and was able to trade my S8 Plus in and basically pay $400 for my S9 Plus. So overall I have paid $600 for an S8 Plus and $600 for an S9 Plus. Not too bad considering they are top end phones.

But yea the prices keep climbing and performance seems to have hit a bit of a wall. Best new features is more RAM and storage but I have a 64GB S9 Plus and have never come close to filling it plus I have an SD card slot so I wont need storage really.