Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition Review: A Titan V Killer

Aug 10, 2018
"Waste of time to write a review. "Just buy it"."

Oh yeah, god forbid Tom's does an in-depth review of the latest and greatest. Keyword greatest. If you desire 4K gaming and have the funds available, why wouldn't you?

I'm probably going to buy one... Though it's not my fault... I feel like the Russians are compelling me to do this by way of Facebook. I'm a victim in this whole Nvidia marketing scam. Don't judge.

That being said, I like high-quality, high-speed graphics performance. This may also be influencing my decision.

Great review!

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
How much of the performance increase is due to using GDDR6 memory? I know this makes the cards perform better the higher the resolution is, how does it effect other aspects of the video cards.

chaosmassive

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
While I appreciate this very detailed and nicely written review, its kinda redundant
because I think Avram has already reviewed this card with his opinion on late august
with the conclusion was "just buy it"

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
SMH I don't understand the reasoning for comparing a $3k known non-gaming card with a $1.2k gaming card. Are there really gamers our there ignorant enough, other than those with deep pockets who want bragging rights, to purchase the $3K card for gaming when they know it is not meant for gaming? Or is this to differentiate Tom's from the other tech sites in order to inspire confidence in Tom's readers?

Personally, I would have rather seen the 2080 Ti compared against 1080 Ti even if it Tom's comes to the same conclusions as the other tech web sites.

The comparison in this article does not make me want to rush out and buy it because it is $1.8k cheaper than a non-gaming card. I really hate to say it, but with the premise of this review being somewhat along the lines of "lookie hereee kiddies. Heree's a gaming card for $1.2k that beets a $3k non-gaming card" turned this review into a TL;DR review for me.

NewbieGeek

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Too pricey for me now, maybe in a few months if prices go down. With the AI based anti aliasing, does the pc have to be connected to the internet for this to work or no? Do the Tensor cores handle all the AI stuff?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

We (people who use this stuff) should always appreciate the early adopters for shouldering much of the development cost for new products. I would personally not want to discourage them from helping us. So maybe I go 4k next year...all because they chose to go 4k today :)

So this is a complaint about the title? Or would you have preferred both a change in title and the removal of the Titan V from the charts? I only ask this because the 1080 TI is also in the charts.

I think this little quote sums up the reviewer's feelings nicely:
"But we fancy ourselves advocates for enthusiasts, and we still can't recommend placing $1200 on the altar of progress to create an audience for game developers to target. If you choose to buy GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, do so for its performance today, not based on the potential of its halo feature. "

https://www.originpc.com/landing/2017/nvidia-titan-v/

Just because the GPU is not really geared towards gaming only doesn't mean people don't buy it for gaming. You can build a PC with it from most OEMs and plenty of people have bought it for a workstation and use it for both.

Its interesting to compare it since the Titan V was the king of the hill for gaming even with the insane price tag and this just dethroned it. And the 1080 Ti was in there for plenty of comparison.

Tensor cores handle the DLSS and Ray Tracing. Not sure on the internet part.

Chris, great review. I can tell a lot of work went into it.

Afrospinach

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012

I think you must have missed the hooplah some people had over an opinion piece Tom's posted a couple of weeks ago.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
Just can't get past the sticker shock and I'm obviously not alone. What percentage of gamers can actually afford the 2080 and 2080Ti? It sure looks like gaming at 4K will continue to be out of reach for the vast majority of gamers for at least another couple of years.

Crazyjay53

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
If nvidia were smart ,they should add a card with RTX chip like sli pci to run with 1080ti ,if possible, just saying

That was an opinion piece by the EiC. While I didn't like the article, I think Toms is better than those kinds of articles, it was the opinion of one man.

Chris has never been in that group. He always does an in depth review with as much information as possible to make a proper assessment. This and the one he posted previously are the articles we needed not the others.

The "Just Buy It" has no relevance to this article.

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
This is what I need...but this isn't what I can afford. I will stick with 2K Ultra Setting gaming on my 1070 or crank down a few settings for 4K until a 2080Ti can get at least below $1k

bloodroses

Distinguished
It's a shame they didn't make the cooler shroud gold plated. It would match the insane asking price.

I suppose if someone has already spent tons of money to have 4k resolution, $1200 probably isn't that much more for them to be able to achieve it. For the average consumer, the real excitement will probably happen once the 2060 and 2070 has been released.

The real excitement will take place if AMD can produce something close to the 2080 Ti in performance. Look at what the Ryzen processor did to Intel prices and product offerings!?

For consumers, competition is king. Right now, there is none.