News Nvidia GeForce RTX 3000 Super Graphics Cards Rumored for Early 2022

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
The Supers for the 20xx were cheaper than their original counterpart. The only thing that can keep GPU prices inflated is mining, because the only way the market will pay $800+ for a gaming GPU is if at least some of the cost can be offset by the monetary return of mining. The mass market isn't going to pay for artificial cost boosters like twice the memory on a card that won't benefit for it. Surely Nvidia knows this and hasn't forgotten about how sales of the original 20xx series went.

RTX 20xx Super GPUs actually was slightly more expensive than non-Super GPUs. But they came with faster clock speed and extra RAM, so extra 50-100$ paid off. RTX 2060S cards have nearly same performance as RTX 2070 non-Super cards which was more expensive than 2060S. What will happen in RTX 30xx line, I can't say, but Nvidia certainly will not want undermine their next level GPUs and will want to squeeze extra profit from S versions. Anyway there is still no reason to pay extra only to feed manufacturer whims. For me any GPU with price above MSRP + VAT (I live in EU) is no go. RTX 2060S is still good on 1440p, so I can wait.

I think the point is the GPU manufacturers have figured out the mid/high to high end GPU consumers are proven suckers, and will shovel down whatever they feed them.

And lose trust and respect between gamers and non-mining users who need powerful GPUs.

VTXcnME

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
I would just be happy to hear they doubled production of existing models rather than any new models.
100% agree

With everything else where it is... It would make the most sense.

Nvidia should stop this new product nonsense and work on getting their supply stabilized for existing Ampere cards. It has been like 9 months now since Ampere was released, and supply is still crap. Then they talk about the "Super" refresh, which is nothing super and may end up with bad availability. And truth to be told, looking at where each product sits now, the performance uplift with the refresh is not going to be meaningful. If you are an Ampere card owner, or if you think that Ampere is not bringing a good performance uplift, I doubt the "Super" cards will excite you.
Wholeheartedly agree.

There are some that are tired of hearing the complaints on this forum.

But it can't be denied, we're well into the life of this gen GPU and majority share of mainstream users can't get their hands on them.

Same as 2Be said above, same as you said: stabilize and increase the ** existing ** cards before adding more cards.

Last edited:

venser

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Hopefully the RTX3090 gets a Super treatment as well. We really need better graphics cards, the 3090 can't even run MS Flight Simulator above 60 FPS in VR at native resolutions of modern headsets.

Hopefully the RTX3090 gets a Super treatment as well. We really need better graphics cards, the 3090 can't even run MS Flight Simulator above 60 FPS in VR at native resolutions of modern headsets.

Erm... RTX3090 Ti SLI with cooling pump connection to home heating system for "green" gaming in winter. Will cost extra in electricity bill tho.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Did anyone else noticed how Tom's also slipped in a mention of the next gen Lovelace cards that are to come after Ampere? So not only are they releasing Ampere Supers, they are also gearing up for RTX 4000, or whatever they plan to call it, before everyone has even had a chance to buy an Ampere card. And where is the 3050 and 3050Ti that were supposed to be at the bottom of the product stack? Are they not going to sell an entry level Ampere card, or is the 3060 12gb as low as they are planning to go? The 3060 12gb is kind of expensive for a bottom of the stack product, and a lot of people won't be able to afford them. It also will leave the system builders without a product to put in their budget PC's. They can't keep making GTX 16 cards for the next 5 years. That would mean having to keep Turing cores in production, keeping the foundries busy making an obsolete product, and would tie up production lines at the AIB's, that could be devoted to getting more Ampere cards out to the people who want them.

Last edited:

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
RTX 20xx Super GPUs actually was slightly more expensive than non-Super GPUs. But they came with faster clock speed and extra RAM, so extra 50-100$ paid off. RTX 2060S cards have nearly same performance as RTX 2070 non-Super cards which was more expensive than 2060S. What will happen in RTX 30xx line, I can't say, but Nvidia certainly will not want undermine their next level GPUs and will want to squeeze extra profit from S versions. Anyway there is still no reason to pay extra only to feed manufacturer whims. For me any GPU with price above MSRP + VAT (I live in EU) is no go. RTX 2060S is still good on 1440p, so I can wait.
The MSRP stayed the same, but the Founders Editions dropped $100 to the base MSRP. Since AIB cards never sell for MSRP, but FE's cards do you could now get a Super for less than you could have bought an original 20xx.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Did anyone else noticed how Tom's also slipped in a mention of the next gen Lovelace cards that are to come after Ampere? So not only are they releasing Ampere Supers, they are also gearing up for RTX 4000, or whatever they plan to call it, before everyone has even had a chance to buy an Ampere card. And where is the 3050 and 3050Ti that were supposed to be at the bottom of the product stack? Are they not going to sell an entry level Ampere card, or is the 3060 12gb as low as they are planning to go? The 3060 12gb is kind of expensive for a bottom of the stack product, and a lot of people won't be able to afford them. It also will leave the system builders without a product to put in their budget PC's. They can't keep making GTX 16 cards for the next 5 years. That would mean having to keep Turing cores in production, keeping the foundries busy making an obsolete product, and would tie up production lines at the AIB's, that could be devoted to getting more Ampere cards out to the people who want them.
Everyone isn't owed a gaming graphics card. Companies will produce what makes financial sense for them. A chip shortage doesn't mean that tech companies are all going to stop developing new products. If 30 series Super cards are released, and this leak is by no means a bulletproof guarantee they will, it would imply that the next architecture isn't likely to be released at the typical 2 year cadence next fall, and instead will get pushed back maybe to 2023.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
And lose trust and respect between gamers and non-mining users who need powerful GPUs.
Probably makes up the minority. The profits they'll make from everyone else speaks volumes over that.
Not enough people care, so it enables companies and other individuals to do stuff like this.
Scalping? Not enough care, so it's still here.
In game macrotransactions(they're not micro anymore) and the pursuit of live services subscriptions and mobile cash grabs? Not enough people care.
Right to repair? That should've been enforced a long time ago.
And so on... it applies to many things.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
100% agree

With everything else where it is... It would make the most sense.

Wholeheartedly agree.

There are some that are tired of hearing the complaints on this forum.

But it can't be denied, we're well into the life of this gen GPU and majority share of mainstream users can't get their hands on them.

Same as 2Be said above, same as you said: stabilize and increase the ** existing ** cards before adding more cards.
Where have you been the last year? Are you some how unaware of the global chip shortage? The guy above saying Nvidia should double production? Seriously? You believe if Nvidia had the ability to buy twice as many chips they wouldn't have already done it? There is no indication that Samsung is having any yield issues with Ampere GPU's, so there is nothing to "stabilize" whatever that even means in this context. Ford and other auto manufacturers aren't enjoying shutting down plants because they can't get enough chips to continue making cars. You can't sell products that you can't get the parts for to make. There is no way to magically increase global wafer capacity significantly quickly. It's going to take years. This is why Intel is reportedly trying buy Global Foundries. It will have no affect on global production, but it will give a significant boost to Intel's capacity to produce chips, albeit on older nodes.

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Probably makes up the minority. The profits they'll make from everyone else speaks volumes over that.
Not enough people care, so it enables companies and other individuals to do stuff like this.
Scalping? Not enough care, so it's still here.
In game macrotransactions(they're not micro anymore) and the pursuit of live services subscriptions and mobile cash grabs? Not enough people care.
Right to repair? That should've been enforced a long time ago.
And so on... it applies to many things.

Yup, everyone grumbles and moans, but at the end of the day enough people will fork over the money (including many of those who were complaining) to where there is no incentive for companies to change anything.

Everyone acts like some corporate move is going to create some event that causes this awakening of consumers and lead to a mass boycott, yet each year these companies continue to rake in billions and nothing ever changes. No matter what these companies do, there will always be enough people paying for the product to allow them to continue their actions since they remain profitable each time, which is the only metric they are looking at.

I'm not saying the complaints are unfounded, but the reality of it is that the amount of people who don't care and will pay anyway will almost always outnumber those who do care and would prefer to spend their money more wisely.

Some quote I saw paraphrased/secondhand explained it perfectly: "Whenever I see the solution to an issue is to vote with your wallet, I know that cause is doomed."

They aren't going to put more RAM on the Super than is on the Ti. The 3060 12gb was an anomaly based on the 192 bit bus that makes it more practical to release with 12gb than 6gb. The 3080 Ti only has 12gb, so how can they release a 3080 Super with 20? That would also put pressure on the memory supply line, which could cause delays in production and price hikes.
There's nothing that says Ti must be faster than the Super. Sure, the 2080 Ti was better than the 2080 Super. Maybe they don't even call these cards "Super" — there are lots of (dumb) adjectives Nvidia could use. The 3060 12GB was made into a 12GB card because Nvidia rightly knew that reviewers and consumers would have ripped them to pieces if they had used 6GB again. 2060 6GB already struggles in plenty of games, and lack of VRAM is a big part of that. 3060 Ti has a 256-bit memory interface with eight 1GB DRAM modules (32-bits each). 3060 has a 192-bit interface with six 2GB DRAM modules (32-bits each). There are 3060 6GB mobile GPUs that use 1GB modules, to save money (and because Nvidia is stingy on VRAM). Anyway, nothing says Nvidia has to do 20GB or 16GB on its next GPU refresh, but it really should do exactly that. 8GB is only fit for mainstream $300 cards and below at this point, at least for new GPUs.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
There's nothing that says Ti must be faster than the Super.

How old are you? Ti cards have been the flagship cards going all the way back to the GeForce 2 Ti. So yes, the Ti has always been the fastest. It would be stupid of nVidia to change it up now. As for the rest, you're not telling me anything that I don't already know, except the part about 8gb being obsolete. 8gb is still fine for many games.

How old are you? Ti cards have been the flagship cards going all the way back to the GeForce 2 Ti. So yes, the Ti has always been the fastest. It would be stupid of nVidia to change it up now. As for the rest, you're not telling me anything that I don't already know, except the part about 8gb being obsolete. 8gb is still fine for many games.
Old enough to have been around when C64 gaming was the new hotness. Also old enough to know that starting a post with an ageist question like "How old are you?" clearly shows imaturity. Bye.

Reactions: Krotow
Old enough to have been around when C64 gaming was the new hotness. Also old enough to know that starting a post with an ageist question like "How old are you?" clearly shows imaturity. Bye.

Offtopic, but I clearly miss Fidonet era when people argued strictly about topic, omiting skin color, gender, occupation and other insignificant crap for opposite side. And flamewars was a cause for a ban for prolonged time.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU
Offtopic, but I clearly miss Fidonet era when people argued strictly about topic, omiting skin color, gender, occupation and other insignificant crap for opposite side. And flamewars was a cause for a ban for prolonged time.
Many people have found their way only my illustrious ignore list. It saves me a lot of grief over time. And the great thing is, I don't need to give warnings or anything else. Say something derogatory toward me and you join the list. :D (If it was directed at someone else, I'd have turned it over to the mods for a potential warning/ban.)

Giroro

Splendid
Where is the wafer capacity coming from? Nvidia can't keep up with demand for $2000 cards, what's the point of wasting their time trying to produce a "mass market" GPU for $150 they have no where near the capacity to properly produce?

I'm not arguing that Nvidia makes more upfront money selling a single $1500 card than they make by selling 10x $150 cards.
Similarly they make more money rebadging that $1500 RTX card and selling it as a $6000 Quadro.
We all know that, now Nvidia knows they can charge more, they will continue to raise prices dramatically.

I'm just saying that, as a gaming customer, I have never cared about workstation or Server-grade GPUs which cost more than my car. Now that gaming GPUs are getting pushed deeper into that category, I no longer care about gaming GPUs.
When I'm building a computer for a family member that wants to learn how to make youtube videos, I can't justify that they spend 3/4 of their of their computer budget on a "nice to have" feature like a dedicated GPU -even though adding a sub $200 card would normally have been a no-brainer addition.

One reason why Nvidia should care is because they make a whole lot of money licensing proprietary software and tools to game developers. It's an essential part of their core business. Unfortunately for Nvidia, none of their "mass audience" cards support any of the new technologies that they are trying to license for developers (RTX, DLSS, etc.).
Game developers are only interested in targeting the largest possible user base, and Nvidia has historically dominated that market. Gamers are a reliable source of repeat busines; mining companies are not.
Nobody wants to make a game targeting a $700 GPU as a minimum system requirement, because only a tiny niche of gamers actually buy cards in that price category. If Nvidia kills off mainstream PC gaming hardware, then their competitive edge is gone, and they eventually lose most of their middleware/software business to Intel (iGPU), AMD (consoles), and mobile.

They need that market to "stay big" and keep the scale required for the giant R&D budgets needed to support their pro/server business.

Last edited:
Where have you been the last year? Are you some how unaware of the global chip shortage? The guy above saying Nvidia should double production? Seriously? You believe if Nvidia had the ability to buy twice as many chips they wouldn't have already done it?

As the "guy saying Nvidia should double production" :) - my point was instead of devoting production lines to new models, they could devote those lines to the existing models (like 3080s - sheesh). So if they have 2 lines on the 3080 and they are going to have 2 lines on the "new" model, I'd rather have 4 lines on the 3080. See? Not a big deal, really.

... and yes, we all know production supply is tight & nothing is magically appearing. Though I do not put it past Nvidia to not buy more (if anything became available) because they are raking in more profits the longer the supply crunch continues. More supply would begin to satisfy the demand, thus driving the pricing back to normal. The supply crunch continues to drive profit for them, especially as they say they are producing more than ever but demand outpaces supply.