Nvidia GPU Settlement Covers Apple, Dell, and HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Atleast Nvidia pay up to get the issue fixed, not like asome other companies - Make some lame excuse and offer some so called fix for a limited time hoping the media storm blows over and they saved some money by screwing their customers!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Great. I have 2 systems on this list. Both GPUs on both systems (one Dell and one Apple) run VERY hot. I can hardly wait until they fry themselves and I get to wade through this process. Still, better than nothing.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]Great. I have 2 systems on this list. Both GPUs on both systems (one Dell and one Apple) run VERY hot. I can hardly wait until they fry themselves and I get to wade through this process. Still, better than nothing.[/citation]
Make sure you have insurance/coverage, Apple default is one year. Put the Mac on a blanket (cover the exhaust port) and play a several full scree HD resource hogging Flash movies, that will do the trick. Then get a new cooler chip installed.

theoutbound

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Yay they are owning up to systems with defective cards from 4 years ago. That should have been fixed then. Most people just moved on from those oldest systems i bet.[/citation]
That is the problem. Some of these are so old that most people have purchased new notebooks, and thrown the defective one away. This is too little too late from Nvidia.

meat81

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
[citation][nom]theoutbound[/nom]That is the problem. Some of these are so old that most people have purchased new notebooks, and thrown the defective one away. This is too little too late from Nvidia.[/citation]

Then they obviously are not affected by the problem if their laptop is in the garbage...

G

nVidia's customers are OEMs in that particular case. You should talk to Apple, HP and Dell for not checking what stuff they placed in their own product. If that was a defect in every single unit (like people tell) then someone at those companies should have noticed way before selling the notebooks. You just don't make a product without testing it a little bit before selling.

nVidia did wrong in not keeping an eye on the production. They should have had better QA to spot such problems and stop shipments.

And then there are the nVidia's contractors, who did the shoddy job at producing the chips (nVidia, much like Intel and AMD doesn't manufacture chips in-house).

There was a long chain of errors. nVidia is certainly to blame because they didn't had enough controls to prevent this from happening, but the real production of shoddy chips was done by third party manufacturers, and by the OEMs witch didn't have a decent QA policy or simply didn't care. All those products are for the consumer market anyway.

RDIII

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
What are we supposed to do if we started parting our system out because it died? I can send in what I've got but I sold the memory, wireless card, and burner. I bet they won't accept it unless it's a complete system.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I personaly feel safer about nvidia right now than the competition, usualy companies who been burnt by costly quality issues walk ahead of the competition quality wise (before they forget the cost and slowly drop the quality again until its time to get reminded again!)

G

damn it, my HP laptop I had to send it before to repair because my GPU would overheat....unfortunately I won't be able to change it because my product identification number is not on the list.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]Make sure you have insurance/coverage, Apple default is one year. Put the Mac on a blanket (cover the exhaust port) and play a several full scree HD resource hogging Flash movies, that will do the trick. Then get a new cooler chip installed.[/citation]

Just try to play a game, that'll work just as well.

buhusky

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
how are they going to replace my hardware? do they have a huge stock of mobos sitting around with 2-year old gpu in it?

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]Great. I have 2 systems on this list. Both GPUs on both systems (one Dell and one Apple) run VERY hot. I can hardly wait until they fry themselves and I get to wade through this process. Still, better than nothing.[/citation]

If I were you I'd probably tilt things in that direction to make them fail and get replacements that will probably work without issue instead of being stuck with something that may fail at any time. Sometimes to get the replacement it has to be in a limited time.

verbalizer

Distinguished
i think the options are current replacement equivalent for most and then replacements for others.
I'm not quite sure, I didn't read entire document, I just registered and keep moving after I got certain facts..

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
what about the rest of the companies that used these chip in their laptops will nvidia pay to have those fixed as well or do those customer get fk'd up the butt. just wondering lol

verbalizer

Distinguished
you'll have to check the list.
if your not on there then I guess not.
maybe there is another class action coming but it seems this one it just from a certain time period.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I'm a little sad here I made the mistake of buying an nVida GPU the previous time arround. It did fail on me but since I bought an eVGA add in board that's on me isn't it :(

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
It's pass the potato where consumers loose, getting outdated replacements when someone must've asked NVIDIA for state of the art crap guaranteed to fail. Now NVIDIA has to pay up for somebody going for cheap & consumers get more of the same too little too late.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I see five of these a week (on average) that people have to replace (mainly the dv series). too bad it takes so long to get something done about bad manufacturing....

stiehl

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Atleast Nvidia pay up to get the issue fixed, not like asome other companies - Make some lame excuse and offer some so called fix for a limited time hoping the media storm blows over and they saved some money by screwing their customers![/citation]

You make it sound like Nvidia admitted wrong doing and is trying to help their customer. If someone hadn't sued Nvidia, they would have done the same thing as any other company.They were forced to help their customers even though they didn't want to. As you can see from the article, Nvidia still believes they did nothing wrong and it was never their fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.