Nvidia GPUs Speed Up Win 7 & Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

blarneypete

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
So will the GPU be relegated to things like Photoshop filters, or will it be able to help crunch other things - like encoding an H.264/AVC video?

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I have been wondering why I never have access to see exactly how much of my GPU is being taxed. I hope this means I will be able to do so in the future.

G

I wonder what the effect would be if we ran both Nvidia and ATI high end graphics cards in a system?

Which card would we connect the monitor to?

Would the system use both GPUs for processing?

It'd be kind of interesting to see what the results would be. Too bad we couldn't connect the cards together as you can with Crossfire or SLI.

boomhowar

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
[citation][nom]A Stoner[/nom]I have been wondering why I never have access to see exactly how much of my GPU is being taxed. I hope this means I will be able to do so in the future.[/citation]

gpu-z will show your gpu load under "sensors" tab. it does for my 4850.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]I wonder what the effect would be if we ran both Nvidia and ATI high end graphics cards in a system?Which card would we connect the monitor to?Would the system use both GPUs for processing?It'd be kind of interesting to see what the results would be. Too bad we couldn't connect the cards together as you can with Crossfire or SLI.[/citation]

not really, the gpu is not running x86 instruction set, but for certain tasks the software developer could have specially coded code that if the gpu are around it could offload those computations to. i recently wrote some code that does just that, microsoft and nvidia and ati make it very easy to do so. if there is not gpu then your cpu is stuck with the task, but if there is then it get it and the cpu is free to do other things. this will allow for some amazing windows eye candy tweaks, much like we see in games being available to the desktop programs rendering. i did a simple texture filter, and wow it worked, microsoft visual studio made is soo easy to do, just simple function. think of water, cload, smoke, ect effects and windows. wow

G

Snow Leopard is a pretty shitty name I can't believe apple is running with it.

Hahah well, there is a real leopard that is called a Snow Leopard, it's also known as an Ounce. The Toronto zoo had one when I was there last.

Now for my self I find the name Twitter pretty bad hahahah

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Cool, so does that mean theoretically I only need either a gpu or cpu to boot up and use the most basic funtions of my computer? :eek: Well there are the physical limitations like no vga/dvi port...

G

is this going to be limited to cards specifically made for DirectX 11? Is my GTX 260 SLI setup going to be unable to take advantage of parallel processing?

sneakypete

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]crisisavatar[/nom]Snow Leopard is a pretty shitty name I can't believe apple is running with it.[/citation]
Yeah, and Windows 7 is so brilliant. Who would have thunk?

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]sneakypete[/nom]Yeah, and Windows 7 is so brilliant. Who would have thunk?[/citation]
At least Windows 7 doesn't sound like it wants to kill you...

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
[citation][nom]blarneypete[/nom]So will the GPU be relegated to things like Photoshop filters, or will it be able to help crunch other things - like encoding an H.264/AVC video?[/citation]

Photoshop CS4 already uses CUDA (for some Nvidia cards) for some filters.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]mbbs20[/nom]ok so if ATI can also take use of it then y is the title talks only about Nvidia[/citation]

It's because ATi hasn't released something for OpenCL, yet. Anyone who has seen how to even initialize CAL would see that it isn't really ready for primetime yet, it needs a bit more polishing (and ease of use!). From what I read elsewhere, OpenCL is almost based on CUDA (or the code appears almost like it).

GPU's have a major advantage when it comes to anything having to do with math, thanks in part to a wider data bus (ie: a 256bit data bus for a GPU with 256bit registers can load 8 32-bit integers in a single operation, while a 64bit CPU can load only 2 32-bit integers in a single operation). Hence why PhysX runs so much faster on a GPU then on a CPU.

I wonder though, if dual cards will suddenly lead to a noticable performance increase in general computing as a result...

Fadamor

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
[citation][nom]mbbs20[/nom]ok so if ATI can also take use of it then y is the title talks only about Nvidia[/citation]
Heh I was wondering when an AMD afficianado would complain. Surprisingly, I had to scroll pretty far down the list to find the first one. Even the Nvidia rep quoted in the article says both Nvidia AND AMD products are going to be able to do this.

Who cares what the title said? You read the article so you got all the information, right?

marokero

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
So with a GTX 295 for example, how many cores will appear in the Task Manager, 480 cores? How about a 4870 X2, 1600 cores? I'm sure they'll figure out a better way than to utterly overcrowd that Task Manager window :)

android

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
[citation][nom]marokero[/nom]So with a GTX 295 for example, how many cores will appear in the Task Manager, 480 cores? How about a 4870 X2, 1600 cores? I'm sure they'll figure out a better way than to utterly overcrowd that Task Manager window[/citation]

Only 1 core per card or set of cards will appear in task manager.

mforce2

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Funniest thing is that Apple will release Snow Leopard well , in the summer :). Hope it will be able to cope with the heat. Maybe they should have waited for winter :)

NocturnalOne

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
OpenCL is a step in the right direction. It will be pretty amazing if the various players can come to a compromise and give us access to the GPUs for tasks other than graphics rendering. CUDA is nice but I would much rather develop against OpenCL and grab Mac, Linux, Windows, ATI and NVIDIA in one go. I want to use it for astronomical image processing.

Status
Not open for further replies.