Nvidia GTX 1080, 1070 Display Port Incompatible With Vive HMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why people on the forums here need to calm down about issues at launch. There is almost always something wrong when new GPUs come out. I tired of responding to people who seem to think the RX 480 will burn your computer to the ground.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
I'm constantly blown away by the incompetence of Nvidia. Half the time I wonder if they even test their products before release.
Was thinking about buying a 1080 to boost my vive performance. After the memory fiasco of my 970 and now this. I just hold off a bit.

Questors

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2004
A release day issue, a month gone by and no word from Nvidia? If this was an AMD product, the Nvidia fanboys would be peeing all over themselves to find a place to post bashing Team Red.

Oh! Wait! AMD does have a release with a problem and yes, AMD is slammed down like a cop-killing murder suspect before they even get a chance to investigate and fix the problem.

Nvidia issue? I can't hear the crickets chirp for the deafening silence.

Very big difference between a port not working for a specialty device vs a GPU going out of spec and potentially, while not 100%, causing damage to your motherboard.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

AMD's issue is much more serious than Nvidia's, and it potentially affects everyone.
Using a Display Port cable for the Vive is an optional setup, which requires a special cable that doesn't come in the box. Most people will never encounter this problem, hence why it hasn't gotten much attention.

John Nemesh

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
Sorry but the entire PREMISE of the article is flawed here. I have the same limitation at home. Want to take a guess how I solved it? Using a displayport to HDMI adaptor. $20. Hook THAT output to your TV, hook the native HDMI output to the Vive. Done and done.

rayden54

Honorable
May 14, 2013
@THOR220
There's a very big difference between an optional extra feature not working and a card being released with something fundamentally wrong with it.

Ironkidz

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Kinda ironic considering how much Pascal was touted as the "GPU of the VR Revolution" yet it cant even power the most popular piece of VR hardware. I am glad I stuck with my 980ti's for now.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
It is really ironic that when Nvidia releases crap that does not work the Nvida fan club stays quiet...... but they blast crap all over the internet about AMD....... I have owned a few Nvidia products and they have allways lived up the the reputation of crap.

I don't agree with this mentality. This is akin to game publishers with their "release now, patch later" method. Their "we already made bank on the pre-orders, so we don't care if the game is 100% polished" approach. Just because it may happen a lot does not mean it needs to be acceptable or condoned by the consumers. However, since most consumers don't seem to care and still shower these companies with money, they won't bother to change their tactics.

Is this a small problem? Yes, it's fairly niche, as Kevin says. However, it's also quite embarrassing. NVidia said VR was a big part of these cards. Yet they didn't thoroughly test them with the main VR products available. As someone experienced in QA, I can tell you the iceberg principle is the first question that crops up. If they missed this somewhat obvious small problem, chances are higher they missed a more obscure, yet bigger impact problem as well.

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
It's not a major issue but it is a bit of one. Some people prefer to use Displayport. Maybe their monitor already takes up their HDMI port. Or maybe they want the 1ms decrease in latency HDMI vs DP.

Technically its more of an issue than the AMD fiasco. That's just all a pitchfork party because numbers are higher than spec'ed. There's no fires, its not stopping any functionality for anyone period. While the this vive incompatibility might be a dealbreaker for some because it currently doesn't work PERIOD.

az_fred

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Displayport (or Mini-displayport) is a standard of its own distinct from HDMI. Most Displayport can be configured to be used as HDMi with the addition of an adapter cable which actually has an active circuit inside to mimick the output of HDMI's Open Drain configuration. In order for a Displayport Output to be used that way, the manufacturer has to send out HDMI protocol over the Displayport's outputs. NVidia may or may not have chosen to do that on their implementation, so it may not be as simple as new drivers. There is supposed to be a special logo placed on a DP output that is meant to be compatible with HDMI consisting of ++ DP, but not all manufacturers bother with it.

Joshwar

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
I've had this exact issue with the 1070 but there is a work around which works for me (mostly).

If you connect the Vive headset to the GPU HDMI port and then use a Displayport to Mini Displayport cable to the Vive breakout box and plug your TV in to the output HDMI on the breakout box then it'll work. That is if you go directly from the breakout box to the TV, if you go via a surround sound receiver it still might not work.

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Gamebrigada... Do some research before you spout off. You sound highly uninformed, and the information is out there.

AMDs issue is affecting plenty of people. Some have experienced MB failures. And even more experience their system shutting down when they attempt to use their system due to the PCI over draw protection systems. It's everywhere, and it is a far more serious issue. Every major review and tech authority (which you are not) has agreed and/or even experienced this issue first hand.

Nvidia certainly made a mistake here, it is hardly a system breaking issue like AMD has. Educate yourself a little, ignorance wreaks

John Nemesh

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

They have acknowledged the problem, and are posting a driver fix to address the issue, in the meantime, a simple fix, which I detailed, is available to get things working. Some people just like to whine.

Drivers - the crutch to all problems.

Crap, some people must really be mad if they bought a 1070 or 1080 with an HMD. Hopefully they will get this fixed soon for those people wanting to use VR.

It also goes to show you still how few people actually own HMDs. If more people owned them, I'd think I would have heard about these issues prior to now.

Soapinmouth

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

When did they say they are Fixing with a driver???

Last official word from them is only "We are still investigating this issue.".

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/939426/geforce-1000-series/displayport-does-not-work-with-the-htc-vive-on-gtx-1080-/post/4898660/#4898660

Do you propose an alternative idea? It seems like usually drivers is the answer to everything, just saying :p I'm not saying it's what they'll do. But it's what they'll do.

Soapinmouth

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

What if it is non fixable via software, they haven't even confirmed that much?

Then they won't fix it with software. Or the HMD headsets are going to issue driver updates :p

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
The broken motherboard thing is currently a wildfire with pitchforks. No official nor any confirmed reports. Just a bunch of guys saying their motherboards blew up. The only one that has pictures posted overclocked a reference card with 1. A dusty as heck motherboard and 2. Poor cooling. The problem was fixed after someone pointed out to clean the dust that caught on fire in the guys PCIe slot.

The RX480 using too much power is not a big issue, and there have been 0 people that have had problems that were not their own fault.

The current wildfire is the unlock of 4GB cards to 8GB. That one is pretty embarrassing. I guess AMD might as well just get rid of the 4GB sku.

Status
Not open for further replies.