[SOLVED] Nvidia GTX 950 not detected

Jul 25, 2020
i've a gtx 950 gigabyte after i plug it in the motherboard the fan is working and i fell heat on it but bios doesn't recognize it and no display in monitor

Solution
if may be the system that i test it in not capable of using it the GPU won't work at all . cuz my GPU work for one day and stop working after that

Only good way to find out if it's the card or some issue with your computers is to test the card on a real gaming grade system or a larger OEM tower system with a good power supply, like a workstation class one.

The second system you tested it in is also a basic uses system with the same 240 watt power supply, which won't tell you much, you need to test it on a system that should work 100% with that video card, meaning about a 300 watt or higher good quality power supply and one with a full spec PCIe slot that will deliver full 75 watts from it.
Is this a used card? Was it tested and known working? Does it have a power connector or gets power from the motherboard only? System and power supply are an issue, aside from the card, you will probably need a power supply upgrade to something good quality with 300+ watts for that card, and your motherboard may not be able to supply all the PCIe power the card needs. The recommended power supply for a 950 is a 350 watt power supply, which is usually more than it really needs but you are way bellow that, and on an OEM system to boot.

Start with checking for a newer BIOS, but there are several issues you will need to check on.

Jul 25, 2020
Is this a used card? Was it tested and known working? Does it have a power connector or gets power from the motherboard only? System and power supply are an issue, aside from the card, you will probably need a power supply upgrade to something good quality with 300+ watts for that card, and your motherboard may not be able to supply all the PCIe power the card needs. The recommended power supply for a 950 is a 350 watt power supply, which is usually more than it really needs but you are way bellow that, and on an OEM system to boot.

Start with checking for a newer BIOS, but there are several issues you will need to check on.
Card is used and they said that is tested and worked for me for one day . it get power from motherboard only .
i try ir in another Pc and still not working .if the bios is the problem is there something that lock ghraphic card from booting in other pc's ?

Card is used and they said that is tested and worked for me for one day . it get power from motherboard only .
i try ir in another Pc and still not working .if the bios is the problem is there something that lock ghraphic card from booting in other pc's ?

For OEM systems there may be an issue with compatablity with video cards, but that would mean it will never work not work for a day, which you did not say it did, worked then stopped working is different than it never worked. If the card worked in the system at all my guess is that it's a power issue or the card is bad. This other PC you tried it in, is it one built from parts or OEM like your HP? What is the power supply brand and model in that other PC?

Jul 25, 2020
For OEM systems there may be an issue with compatablity with video cards, but that would mean it will never work not work for a day, which you did not say it did, worked then stopped working is different than it never worked. If the card worked in the system at all my guess is that it's a power issue or the card is bad. This other PC you tried it in, is it one built from parts or OEM like your HP? What is the power supply brand and model in that other PC?
the pc that i tried it in is HP and the PSU in from hp with model PS-4241-9HB

Wait, are there models of the GTX 950 that get all their power from the PCIE slot? I thought they all had a 6pin or 8 pin PCIE port.

Edit
it get power from motherboard only .

I believe this is the problem. Everything I'm reading says the GTX 950 is a 90watt card requiring a 6pin PCIE cable for extra power because the PCIE x16 slot only provides 75watt. Some GTX 950s require an 8pin cable. Recommended PSU is 350watt with 6pin PCIE cable.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020
Wait, are there models of the GTX 950 that get all their power from the PCIE slot? I thought they all had a 6pin or 8 pin PCIE port.

Edit

I believe this is the problem. Everything I'm reading says the GTX 950 is a 90watt card requiring a 6pin PCIE cable for extra power because the PCIE x16 slot only provides 75watt. Some GTX 950s require an 8pin cable. Recommended PSU is 350watt with 6pin PCIE cable.
I have this one View: https://imgur.com/a/YuU3x40

i don't think it there is 6pin or 8pin PCIE cable on it

I have this one View: https://imgur.com/a/YuU3x40

i don't think it there is 6pin or 8pin PCIE cable on it
Interesting, I never knew there was a release of 75watt GTX 950 cards. https://www.anandtech.com/show/1025...-gtx-950-with-75w-power-consumption-to-lineup

You appear to have the Gigabyte GV-N950D5-2GD. If you tried it in another PC and had no video output, it probably means the card is defective and you should try to get your money back. Hopefully the place you bought it will not refuse a return.

You should be able to run any 75watt GPU in that system that don't require a PCIE cable. The current fastest card would be a GTX 1650. If you want to be safe and avoid any possible power limitation issues, get the 35watt GT 1030 GDDR5 version.

Reactions: roshian
Jul 25, 2020
Interesting, I never knew there was a release of 75watt GTX 950 cards. https://www.anandtech.com/show/1025...-gtx-950-with-75w-power-consumption-to-lineup

You appear to have the Gigabyte GV-N950D5-2GD. If you tried it in another PC and had no video output, it probably means the card is defective and you should try to get your money back. Hopefully the place you bought it will not refuse a return.

You should be able to run any 75watt GPU in that system that don't require a PCIE cable. The current fastest card would be a GTX 1650. If you want to be safe and avoid any possible power limitation issues, get the 35watt GT 1030 GDDR5 version.
i want to try to learn fixing it just for curiosity do you have any idea of what the problem laying in or what should a do to know the source of problem . or it just broken and no way to fix it.
Thank you for your time .

i want to try to learn fixing it just for curiosity do you have any idea of what the problem laying in or what should a do to know the source of problem . or it just broken and no way to fix it.
Thank you for your time .
If the GPU is actually defective, you probably won't beable to fix it unless you have extensive knowledge of electronics and the proper soldering tools. That is assuming there are components on the card that can be fixed or replaced.

It's still possible the GPU is fine and that the systems you have tested it in are just not capable of using it or there is a setting in the bios that needs to be changed to use PCIE for graphics output instead of the iGPU of the CPU.

Jul 25, 2020
If the GPU is actually defective, you probably won't beable to fix it unless you have extensive knowledge of electronics and the proper soldering tools. That is assuming there are components on the card that can be fixed or replaced.

It's still possible the GPU is fine and that the systems you have tested it in are just not capable of using it or there is a setting in the bios that needs to be changed to use PCIE for graphics output instead of the iGPU of the CPU.
if may be the system that i test it in not capable of using it the GPU won't work at all . cuz my GPU work for one day and stop working after that

Only good way to find out if it's the card or some issue with your computers is to test the card on a real gaming grade system or a larger OEM tower system with a good power supply, like a workstation class one.

The second system you tested it in is also a basic uses system with the same 240 watt power supply, which won't tell you much, you need to test it on a system that should work 100% with that video card, meaning about a 300 watt or higher good quality power supply and one with a full spec PCIe slot that will deliver full 75 watts from it.

Reactions: roshian
Solution