Nvidia installer not working

Thanatognomonic

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
Hey folks
After recently having to completely wipe my Nvidia drivers due to a Nv4_disp.dll blue screen error, (apparently re-installing all Nvidia drivers made the error go).

Now, every time I go to install the drivers, the installer gets stuck on the "system check" part. I've had it sitting on that one part for over 20 minutes..
Is there a way to fix this? or should I just leave it longer, but I remember it taking no where near 20 minutes my first time installing the drivers..

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Try going to Device Manager and installing the drivers from there (manual installation, if you didn't, unpack your driver files in a folder on the desktop).

EDIT:

Windows XP isn't supported anymore so it's kind of expected to see this.

Thanatognomonic

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013

Currently running off a Semprom 140 and 4gb of 800mhz (Old I know, it's served me well until recent)
I plan on migrating to 7 when I come to building a new rig, no point spending £70 then another in a few months.
System restore is gonna be a last resort incase nothing else works.

Thanatognomonic

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013

I'd expect Nvidia to atleast fail the first test instead of just running it,
is there a way I can download older drivers?

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Did you just buy this videocard?

I don't think you have a driver issue. I would gamble that your motherboard (or PSU) just can't run that GPU. Windows XP is just adding to the situation.

A fresh, 64-bit install of Windows 7 (or Even Vista) would make a significant performance boost on your system. I would say that's easily that safest thing to do.

I've been experimenting a lot with older hardware.

If you go under "features" on this site and compare the FX8350 to your chip, you will see how many instruction sets are missing. There are basically built in short cuts to decode media or perform similar tasks repeatably.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-Sempron-140-vs-AMD-FX-8350

If the Driver attempts (or the card) to take advantage of any of those instruction sets, the chip won't support it and it will bluescreen, crash or generally not boot into Windows.

Thanatognomonic

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013

I got the video card 60% off with a XFX ProSeries 450w PSU around December and they've both been working perfectly with absolutely no hiccups until I decided to install the newest Nvidia drivers.

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Probably because the default installed graphics drivers for Windows were designed to work, but they wouldn't work perfectly, one way or another, you'd find yourself with problems or needing features. That's what the drivers from Nvidia are for.

Seriously ditch XP. That's a DX11 card, and XP only supports DX9c. Going to Windows 7 will most likely increase performance more than you expect.

You are way overdue for an OS upgrade, especially if you are trying to play games. Microsoft might release a free version of Windows 8.1, which might be worth looking into.

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

It's free to upgrade if you have Windows 8.

Thanatognomonic

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
I know i'm over-due for an OS upgrade, but like I said, I'm building a new computer within the next month so I'm saving money for then because there's no point paying £70 for a new OS now then paying another £70 in the next month or two.

You can use the same CD key, you just need to deactivate it on the old system after the install. I've transferred my Windows 7 CD between 3 - 4 different computers.