Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

You're comparing a factory overclocked card to a reference model.

MadaSnave

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
where can i get one? keep seeing the uk sites saying they have their's ordered keep seeing that asus was releasing their version of the 2 cards today but i dont see any retailers with them even listed as sold out or coming soon.

I have yet to see a single benchmark showing the the 980 being a "little faster" than the 780. I wouldn't call 23% "a little faster"..... that's a much bigger margin than the 780 over the 680 and the 680 over the 580.

perfrel_1920.gif

williamcummins

Reputable
May 9, 2014
This might sound weird, but i like the look of the reference cooler on those cards (especially the GEFORCE glowing in green). Why can't we get a 970 with the reference cooler? That's sad...

Henk van dommelen

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
Altough i like the performance per watt these new cards give. I can't shake the feeling of disapointment. The highest tier gfx cards shouldn't comprimise performance for efficiency.

Swede69

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Not that impressed, looks like they got the power usage way down, but that's all that did. Based on the benchmarks this card is not any faster than the 780ti, I'll keep my 770 SC ACX Sli till next series

I don't understand the relevance of the comparison. We are not going to see the 980 Ti until AMD pops their next gen cards. The 980 has a 23% advantage over the 780 which is much bigger advantage than the 780 over the 680 or the 680 over the 580.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

I don’t recommend upgrading your graphics card unless the replacement card is at least three tiers higher. Otherwise, the upgrade is somewhat parallel, and you may not even notice any worthwhile difference in performance.

Your 770 SLI setup won't fall 3 tiers below the next gen (1080 ?) ....I wouldn't be thinking of upgrading till the 2nd generation after this.

Yeah well that's not what I said. I said the 980 is a little faster than the 780 Ti, NOT the 780. I also said the 970 is a little faster than the regular 780, though you could just as well call it a little slower than the 780 Ti.

Rexer

Distinguished
Hmm. I just pre ordered 2 970 cards. Two days ago, I slyly worked a great choice between a Sapphire Toxic and a Sapphire Vapor, cheap. I though, "Wonderful choices, beautiful cards". Now I'm wondering how I went 2 hundred bucks over budget appeasing my excitement. I'm not a heavy gamer but I did need underwear. Looks like I'll bare 455 my intelligents for another month. I am happy I didn't run into 770 4gb prices.

Rexer

Distinguished

I'm with you on that one, Bud. As soon as the sun was coming up on the 18th, I would've bought the latest model Sapphire R9 280x Vapor-X.

Rexer

Distinguished

Yeah. Every once in a while Vitamin 'T' doesn't hurt (Tylenol). But they aren't dumb. They'll get something going, like drop the price of the 290x to $299 (I hope). The prices for some of those video cards are foot stomping crazy, anyway. $700+ for card that struggles after 2 years, I don't wanna pay that.

At less than $400, the GTX 970 is a deal that is simply too good to pass up. While this GPU is being sold out in numerous retailers, such as Newegg and Amazon, I was lucky enough to find an available EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 at the EVGA website and ordered it from there for $360. It should be a nice companion to my brand-new CPU and motherboard. Crysis 3 ultra settings, here I come!!! :D

voltagetoe

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
Nvidia doesn't like to sell cheap products - GTX 8800 & Geforce 2 MX were exceptions - cards that are legendary simply because they made customers very satisfied. Even though these have nice TDP I stay away because it's pointless to upgrade just to gain 20 % increase in performance (somewhat unnoticeable difference). Upgrading like crazy just downgrades our dear Earth.

That's been the standard advice going back a very long time.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

I don’t recommend upgrading your graphics card unless the replacement card is at least three tiers higher. Otherwise, the upgrade is somewhat parallel, and you may not even notice any worthwhile difference in performance.

A 580 to a 780 was only two tiers.

As for the pricing, I am beginning to suspect something more nefarious than "sympathy for our wallets" from nVidia.

1. They know well enough that AMD isn't making a lot of money on the consoles; they've been there, done that.

2. We all know that the sales of R9 series cards have been disappointing. Steam hardware survey doesn't even list the cards individually ..... AMD has sold only 60 R9 cards (that's 7 models) for every 53 780 Tis sold.

3. Sales wise, AMD has only 4 cards in the Top 25.

I can't help but wonder if we are not seeing a bit of predatory pricing here.

Where are you getting this sales information from?
The GTX 780 Ti is an enthusiast card. I wouldn't expect Nvidia to sell very many of these at all compared to lower models.
As for AMD sales, during the mining craze there was so much demand it pushed prices up to the point where these were more expensive than equivalent Nvidia models.

Rexer

Distinguished

Yeah, that bit mining craze was sort of weird. I didn't understand the chemistry nor the semantics of it aside from the prices of g cards making moths in my wallet. I can't help believing the comments made by R9 280 and 280x owners (about artifacting and blackouts) were problems created by the direct response of AMD to appease that mining demand. My HD7950 succumb to psu problems so I kept wanting to replace it. Seeing driver problems AMD customers were having, I put-off from buying a new AMD card. I'm amazed I waited 4 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.