Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting. You would think from these forums that AMD was very popular but the steam survey shows a lot of Nvidia GPUs at the top of the list (and of course Intel integrated graphics).
Of course this is install base for gamers, not sales information.
Cards used for mining won't be in the list and multi card setups will only count once.

2. Some R9 series are being identified as 7000 series cards, so that may be skewing the statistics a little.

3. These aren't sales numbers. Unless you want to tell me the GTX 550 Ti is selling really well.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Yep that info is just based on the gamers that use Steam and opted in on the survey, there's a lot of 'gamers' that use Steam that didn't participate, there's lots that don't play Steam games, this has nothing to do with non-gamers of which many, many get high end GPUs

only_human89

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I have a 560 Ti running in a PCI Express 2.0 x16 expansion slot. It's about time I should upgrade to a new card. I like the 970, but will it work in my 2.0 x16 slot without any performance bottlenecks?

How is this misidentification taking place .... must wreak havoc when updating drivers.

Like political polls, surveys are very effective in determining results with very low margins of error. With a sample size of just 2400 your accuracy is within 2 %.

And if ya looking for correlation, just look at AMD's continuing dismal financial reports.....20 % drop since 9xx series was announced.

And yes, 550 Ti 's were very popular in store bought machines....

If you expand past gamers, it gets much worse. The number of users using CUDA for graphics / video work far far outpaces bitmining market which has been shrinking last cupla months.

And there's no logical assumption to suggest that those using two cards favor one brand in different % than single card users.

Much of the 200 series are rebadged 7000 series cards, so no it doesn't cause any issues. It's just using a different name for the same thing.

Surveys are only effective and accurate when you have a sufficiently large sample size and the sample is representative. Steam surveys have the large sample size, but they are FAR from representative. It's like polling for the presidential election only in rural areas of the midwest.

AMD has not released financials for Q3 2014 yet, so you don't know what you're talking about there. They will release their Q3 2014 financial report in two weeks.

As for the GTX 550 Ti, yes it was very popular... in 2011. Nobody in their right mind buys that crap today.

Same is true for the GTX 700s so I don't see how that would be in any way relevant ... but I don't see the entire relevance of the discussion. If it's a survey and you are asked a question, how many people don't know which card they bought ? How many people even know what card was made on what platform ? When asked what GFX card you have how many people will say I have GTX 770 versus I have a re-badged 6809 ?

And argue if you will about survey accuracy but 7 cards to 1 ! No way is a recount with any sampling going to turn that tide.

As for the financials look at how their stock has tanked in the last month. Stock prices in PC component manufacturers arena run seasonally and both companies stocks are down in the past month .... but AMD is down twice what nVidia is over the month, 5 times as much in the last 2 months since rumors of the 9xx hit.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=AMD+Interactive#symbol=AMD;range=6m

AMD ... down 25% since July, down 13% since last year / NVIDIA 1 and 3 year returns are +21.19% & +53.99%
nVidia - down 5% since July, up 20% since last year / Advanced Micro Devices 1 and 3 year returns are -12.44% & -32.78%

http://ycharts.com/companies/NVDA/performance
http://ycharts.com/companies/AMD/performance

If anything, your analogy applies in reverse .... the gaming orientation favors AMD greatly not the other way around. Who isn't in the gaming arena:

Bitminers..... AMD favored

Photograhers ... nvidia favored
CAD .... nvidia favored
Architectural Rendering .... nvidia favored
Videographers ..... nvidia favored

With regard to the Steam Data, more importantly is the trending ..... ignore the totals if you will ..... look at the trends .... look how much market share AMD has lost in the last 18 months. Intel is the only winner but AMD has lost four times the market share AMD has.

AMD = 33.62 % => 29.47
nVidia = 52.74 => 51.56

That's 1.57 to 1.75 ratio or a loss of 4.15% to a loss of 1.18%

The reason this is important and comes into play when you consider the price of the 970. When have we seen a x70 series card prices this low ? With performance topping the $550 290x, why isn't the 970 $570 ? With AMD struggling financially, you have to wonder if nVidia isn't doing a bit of predatory pricing in order to put a hurt on AMD while they are down.

And while I like the cheap prices we see at present .... I can't help but think it's going to come back and haunt us in the long run if the lack of revenue impacts AMDs ability to compete. That's why ya gotta root hard for the 390 series and hope 1) that it is competitive in every sense of the word and 2) is still competitive when nVidia breaks out what they have hidden in the closet.

Yeah the same is true for the geforce 700 series, and just like the 200 series it wouldn't have been a problem if eg. a GTX 770 showed up as a GTX 680, since it's the same card.

The survey is not asking people. It's automated. Anyway, the point is not everyone is asked. It's not a representative sample.

As for your broken links and broken logic about financials, that fanboy rant does not deserve a response.

Is it really any value to posting statements that can be so easily verified as incorrect ? Did you even read the statement at the top of the Steam hardware survey home page ?

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Steam conducts a monthly survey to collect data about what kinds of computer hardware and software our customers are using. Participation in the survey is optional, and anonymous. The information gathered is incredibly helpful to us as we make decisions about what kinds of technology investments to make and products to offer.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=7969aa1f911d3295a5800be60de82d86&t=2268170

Occasionally they'll do a survey, which pops up on your screen, asking you whether you want to participate or not.

If you choose yes there, then the results will be uploaded to them. If you choose not to then they won't.

You can easily go a year without it happening.

As far as I was aware, they ask 1/12th of the users once a month, so it should be about a year between getting asked. I actually can't remember the last time I was asked to participate.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1938012

http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/cheese-talks-the-steam-hardware-software-survey.2629/page=2

From sometime prior to 2004, Valve have been collecting and publicly publishing what is most likely the largest survey of consumer gaming hardware and system configuration ever conducted. What presumably started as a tool for Valve to help understand their audiences has grown into something that gamers, journalists and even other developers get excited about and attempt to draw upon as a resource.

Being tied to a title agnostic distribution platform that spans the breadth of gaming genres, the Steam Hardware & Software Survey is positioned to inherently sidestep most of the issues that face the types hurdles to data collection that technical groups, journalists, individual software developers and hardware vendors encounter when trying to draw understanding of broader industry behaviour. By providing a moderately unobtrusive opt-in prompt to randomly selected users when Steam is launched, the survey is able to target gamers specifically, cross demographic bounds and have a higher likelihood of response.

The frequency and regularity of the survey also provides what is perhaps the most detailed picture of gaming system configuration over time that has ever been compiled.

Now with that issue soundly and definitively settled ... I can understand why there's no response because no contrdictory information exists. All links work fine for me.

I can't be responsible for THGs practice of truncating long links. But, even truncated, the first link still works, you just have to click on the "6M" to get the 6 month result....it involved looking at the data on the graphs and using a calculator. And besides this is readily available and very easy to find published financial data that the entire world has access to..... is your google / yahoo search broken ? Try a web search on:

"Yahoo finance Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD)" ..... 1st hit on Yahoo w/ Firefix and IE
"Yahoo finance Nvidia" ...... 1st hit on Yahoo w/ Firefix and IE

When ya get there you have to click on the information you want. Click on 1 year, 6M to get relevant data

There is a 10 page limit before ya gotta sign up, so if ya want the data, get to it before ya allotment is up. Switch browsers and ya get another 10.

This data is available from multiple sources .... if there was data that contradicted it, it wouldn't be hard to find. But as these filings are public documents, reporting what they contain is not subject to interpretation or opinion. If contrary documentation existed, I am sure you could have found it.

BTW, a '"fanboy" wouldn't be suggesting that nvidia might be engaging in predatory marketing practices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predatory_pricing

Your sources clearly back up my point: It is not a representative survey. The survey only runs when you run Steam, and people can opt out. Both those things clearly prevent it from being representative.

Are you serious? I just proved to you that the Q3 2014 financial information from AMD is NOT available yet! With a link from AMD themselves stating that it will be released on October 16th.

Borge80

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
Gtx 970 came in today. After 5 hours of overclocking and benchmarking in heaven 4.0, metro LL, and DAYZ SA, I've managed to pull off a clock of 1556MHZ GPU clock and 4055MHZ mem clock....+225 gpu, +550 mem. I'm literally 5 mhz away from the smallest artifact on heaven 4.0 at +230. I ran the bench first at 230 and got a score of 1617 @ 64.5 fps extreme setting. Ran a second bench at +225 and got 1636 with 65.0fps, so hopefully this clock stays stable.

Sweet card. I see 190 fps in metro tunnels, and 160 average. Haven't seen the surface yet. Sli down the road is a definite here, as well as a monitor upgrade. Choosing a cheaper 144hz over double the price 1440p.

1. I was not referring to 3rd quarter.....AMD didn't burst on the scene this quarter ....

Click on 1 year, 6M to get relevant data

I also posted the one and 3 year returns (down 38% over 3 years)

2. The 1 year and 6 months clearly indicate a content that exceeds 1 quarter ?

3. And they weren't links to quarterly reports, they were links to stock market prices. If you are going to criticize a post, criticize what was actually written, not what you need to plug in in order to invalidate something that was never written. The links were to historical record of stock market prices. That is a very much different thing than quarterly results, though one has an impact on the other .... To get a view of stock market prices, we don't have to wait for October 16th ...we can look at the graphs and see what the stock market prices were on any given day .... over even over the course of a day.

The stock price is determined by investor's faith in any given company. Based upon a companies performance, investors will choose to buy and sell and when they are scared, stock price drops.....They get scared when they see sales reports, breaking news and other things that reflect on a company's viability. Now that we have established the difference between stock prices and quarterly results, let's look at what has happened since my October 3rd post.

October 3rd, 10:14 am = $3.455
October 9th, 01:14 pm = $2.960

End of July = $4.66
End of July = $4.28

That's a 14+% drop in value over 6 days, down 36+% since the end of July, 32 % since the end of August.

This is exactly what I was afraid of. nVidia has never released a x70 card at this price point. With AMD reeling from lackluster sales of the R9 series, it would seem that nVidia, sitting in a rather secure financial position at this time, may be employing predatory pricing in order to handcuff AMD's ability to compete down the line. And while we are all smiling now at the price of these cards and the effect it has had on the pricing structure in both lineups, I am concerned about the long term implications.

Well what happened to the first argument that it wasn't valid cause it was automatic, done without user acknowledgement and that the "machine" was misreporting the cards .....now with that debunked, you are trying to make the same argument with reversed reasoning ?

That reasoning is still flawed .... One can opt out of any poll, that doesn't change results... I get called for a political poll, can I opt out ? Yet these polls are extraordinarily accurate ....(google poll accuracy .... you will find 5% is extremely unusual, 1-2% typical) what reasoning do you have for the apparent contention that AMD users are more likely to opt out the nvidia users ?

What reasoning do you have that Steam users are any more or less likely to use one brand or the other. When professional pollsters make calls , let's say for how District 31 will vote on an issue ...they robo call phone numbers in a district ending in randomly generated digits....they only reach 2% of residents yet these polls are again extraordinarily accurate.

Again with double emphasis

The frequency and regularity of the survey also provides what is perhaps the most detailed picture of gaming system configuration over time that has ever been compiled.

"Most detailed picture of gaming system configuration over time that has ever been compiled" is a pretty strong statement by the author.

Now granted that Steam survey only hits gamers but we are talking about gaming cards aren't we. My Aunt Tillie and Grandma are using integrated graphics,....but again, if there is any bias by concentrating on gamers, it works in reverse.... AMD's highest penetration is in the gaming markets and mining markets, the latter of which has collapsed.

Again:

If anything, your analogy applies in reverse .... the gaming orientation favors AMD greatly not the other way around. Who isn't in the gaming arena:

Bitminers..... AMD favored

Photograhers ... nvidia favored
CAD .... nvidia favored
Architectural Rendering .... nvidia favored
Videographers ..... nvidia favored

Just exactly what class of users are you talking about that are not represented in these groups ?

You were talking about:

And if ya looking for correlation, just look at AMD's continuing dismal financial reports.....20 % drop since 9xx series was announced.
The 900 series was announced in September 2014, so the alleged 20% drop since the 900 series couldn't possibly show up until the Q3 financial report... which still isn't out.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Might take into effect the general dump of the market, even just over the last week or so. Also tons of stocks have been dropping over the last 30 days - including the DOW and NASDAQ - last 30 days nVidia has dropped from 19.50, to under 18 today

I didn't say anything about a Q3 report. All the links I gave were to the company's financial health as indicated by its stock price which is going down faster than a cheerleader on prom night. When I last posted it was above 3.2 .... Now trading at 2.71

The stock just took another 18 % dump in last 48 hours, 33% in last month

4.28 => 2.71 .... 37 % drop since August 20th

As for the 3rd quarter ..... I believe the expression "the writing is on the wall" is appropriate

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2014/10/09/amd-street-lauds-new-ceo-su-but-timing-was-spooky/?mod=yahoobarrons&ru=yahoo

Generally, coverage by the sell-side was extremely favorable toward Su. However, the announcement, coming a week before AMD’s quarterly report on October 16th, struck everyone as strange, odd, spooky, and questionable, even though the company said Su’s appointment was part of a planned succession for Rory Read.

“Be that as it may, the optics of pulling a shotgun replacement of the CEO, a week before earnings, without even having the compensation package of his replacement fully in place is going to (justifiably) raise questions with investors.”

The lack of any update on the quarter, such as a reiteration, he finds “ominous,” and a bad news may be on the way: “To us, the failure to reassure investors on guidance for the quarter suggests downside is probably on its way again, as any rational company or management team would have presumably shared good (or even indifferent) news if there was any to provide.”

Go back and look at the quote. You were talking about dismal financial reports, and a 20% drop since the 900 series launched. Which I have proven is nonsense, since there hasn't been any financial report since the 900 series launch.

The URL is fine, it is just the hyper-link that doesn't work because of the ' in the URL.

Copy and paste the entire URL into the address bar. Now it loads.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd’s-new-president-and-ceo-dr-lisa-su.html

Status
Not open for further replies.