News Nvidia, Newegg Address Non-Existent RTX 3080 Availability

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

USAFRet

Titan
There are laws for Government public biddings in many countries , but for Private bidding houses the laws protects the contract , meaning it is lawful contract.
You keep speaking of "laws".
Please...show us the specific text of a "law" that would require fleabay to force a scammer bid of $XX,XXX to pay a scammer account that supposedly holds a physical item.

Just one. From any jurisdiction on the planet.
Just one...

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
You keep speaking of "laws".
Please...show us the specific text of a "law" that would require fleabay to force a scammer bid of $XX,XXX to pay a scammer account that supposedly holds a physical item.

Just one. From any jurisdiction on the planet.
Just one...

as I said the laws follows the contract . and I explained it already. once the contract is accepted by the court , it is lawful ..

you want just to focus on my expressions ? What I said is clear.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Yes, what you said is clear.
You've not been able to follow that up with anything.

Not really , you just want to focus on words not on context . the LAW protects private contracts that are accepted by both parties and is accepted by the court (that is nothing illegal in the contract terms) ...

This is the law that you are looking for . it is a general law , not case specific. and I dont need to prove everything I say here .. I am not in some type of an exam .

to all people here :

AVOID FAKING BIDS , AND DONT DO IT , Even if some "moderators" support it or thumbs it up .

USAFRet

Titan
Not really , you just want to focus on words not on context . the LAW protects private contracts that are accepted by both parties and is accepted by the court (that is nothing illegal in the contract terms) ...

This is the law that you are looking for . it is a general law , not case specific. and I dont need to prove everything I say here .. I am not in some type of an exam .

to all people here :

AVOID FAKING BIDS , AND DONT DO IT , Even if some "moderators" support it or thumbs it up .
"Even if some "moderators" support it or thumbs it up"

Not even close.

InvalidError

Titan
for Private bidding houses the laws protects the contract , meaning it is lawful contract.
Then it would be breach of contract between the bidder and auction house, not any actual law.

If you break a law, you get district attorneys or whatever other prosecutors may be appropriate on your ass. If you break a contract, then whoever you screwed over has to come after you on their own time and dime - enforcing contracts is entirely on you.

Unless someone goes way out of their way to cause eBay itself irreparable harm, eBay isn't going to waste its time, resources and cash filing all of the legal paperwork and pay for the investigations to identify all of the John/Jane Doe accounts used to place bogus bids. Its practical recourse does not go much beyond banning the accounts and retracting associated bids, same for the sellers.

As a seller, if you try to sue someone for bailing out on a bid, you will quickly be thousands of dollars down the hole on each John/Jane doe before you get the email account contact details and thousands of dollars more if you need to get their creation and usage traced through VPNs. Unless you are willing to be something like 10k$ down the hole on a bid you may never be able to cash in, you are better off cutting your losses by canceling the no-pay bid and leaving angry feedback.

Reactions: nofanneeded

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Then it would be breach of contract between the bidder and auction house, not any actual law.

If you break a law, you get district attorneys or whatever other prosecutors may be appropriate on your ass. If you break a contract, then whoever you screwed over has to come after you on their own time and dime - enforcing contracts is entirely on you.

Unless someone goes way out of their way to cause eBay itself irreparable harm, eBay isn't going to waste its time, resources and cash filing all of the legal paperwork and pay for the investigations to identify all of the John/Jane Doe accounts used to place bogus bids. Its practical recourse does not go much beyond banning the accounts and retracting associated bids, same for the sellers.

As a seller, if you try to sue someone for bailing out on a bid, you will quickly be thousands of dollars down the hole on each John/Jane doe before you get the email account contact details and thousands of dollars more if you need to get their creation and usage traced through VPNs. Unless you are willing to be something like 10k$ down the hole on a bid you may never be able to cash in, you are better off cutting your losses by canceling the no-pay bid and leaving angry feedback.

Thanks for your polite reply and correcting for me the terms I should use , this is the kind of moderator I like.

BILL1957

Commendable
Sep 8, 2020
Be even more funny if they release a 16GB 3080 in a couple of months, not getting a card will be considered a good thing then :)
They will release a 20g 3080 sometime in the future, that pretty much is a given and has been leaked but it may be 2 months or it may be a year from now. No one when it will release.

I think if AMD does not threaten the current vanilla 3080 performance with its new cards release then you will be looking at probably at least end of 2nd quarter 2021. There would be no reason to release it any earlier if that were the case.

But the actual cost is another unknown but I guess you will be looking at $1000-$1200 price tag for such an animal as well. That may take it out of the reach of many peoples budget over the current 10g in the $700-$800 price range.
You will not get higher performing 3080 cards without a higher price tag attached.

Reactions: thisisaname

BILL1957

Commendable
Sep 8, 2020
Maybe they are focusing on online sales rather than local stores , I dont think it is a paper launch.
Places like Micro Center and Best Buy do not build brick and mortar stores and staff them with employees hoping you will shop online instead of coming into the store.

Yes they are going after the online sales as well but their focus and bread and butter are in store sales.
Micro Center is the only national chain I heard of with any local units available for sale.

Best Buy had 0 units locally. I would guess that Best Buy with so many stores could not secure an ample number of units to sell to stock their stores even with only 2 or three cards per store.
Micro Center with only a few stores could stock their stores with what they got.

I do not think Amazon or Walmart had any units for sale, two of the biggest online sellers in the U.S.A.

Nvidia should have delayed the launch til the end of October giving themselves and the AIB partners more time to put an ample launch stock in the hands of the vendors.

Great job Nvidia. You managed to produce enough cards to almost give websites enough time to show them in stock. And the 3090 is supposed to be card in very limited supply. Is it going to sell out before it even goes on sale?
This is not a surprise. It's been known, and out there for anybody to know, who really wanted to. I guess if your head is in the sand, it might come as a surprise, but this is ALWAYS how it goes, and in THIS case it's worse because they simply can't make what they don't have parts for.

This information has been out there since the beginning of the month, before the actual paper launch even happened. I guess a lot of people just figured it was mouth breather journalism, but in this case, it was likely spot on.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7491...rds-tight-supply-until-end-of-year/index.html

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
This is not a surprise. It's been known, and out there for anybody to know, who really wanted to. I guess if your head is in the sand, it might come as a surprise, but this is ALWAYS how it goes, and in THIS case it's worse because they simply can't make what they don't have parts for.

This information has been out there since the beginning of the month, before the actual paper launch even happened. I guess a lot of people just figured it was mouth breather journalism, but in this case, it was likely spot on.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7491...rds-tight-supply-until-end-of-year/index.html
No, this is not always how it goes. I had no issue getting a 2080 on day one. Bots have not been a problem with any GPU launch until yesterday.

Here's a informational video on the subject
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHogHMvZscM

According to AIB's and SI's, this was not a paper launch, and they would be the first ones to throw Nvidia under the bus to avoid shouldering any of the blame. They had at least as much stock, if not more than they did for Turing. The demand was just that high. One of the AIB's, may have been EVGA, don't remember, is reporting they are getting more stock every couple of days. They expect larger shipments in October when they won't have to ship airfreight. It will also help having multiple models available(3090,3080,3070,3060?). We may well see inventory stabilize before the end of the year.

InvalidError

Titan
Best Buy had 0 units locally. I would guess that Best Buy with so many stores could not secure an ample number of units to sell to stock their stores even with only 2 or three cards per store.
More like Best Buy not wanting to risk getting sued out of existence by customers and employees catching covid-19 from people rushing through the doors to get RTX3080s on launch day. No product in store = nothing for people to storm stores for.

It is the most logical way to handle product launches in the middle of a pandemic - don't give people reasons to rush stores for something that can be more easily be done online.

No, this is not always how it goes. I had no issue getting a 2080 on day one.
What were the launch-day reviews saying about most of the 2000-series? "Buy a 1xxx instead if you don't have one already." So no surprise that the 2000-series got stuck to store shelves for a while.

Reactions: Phaaze88

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
What were the launch-day reviews saying about most of the 2000-series? "Buy a 1xxx instead if you don't have one already." So no surprise that the 2000-series got stuck to store shelves for a while.
Whatever the reason, you can't claim "this is ALWAYS how it goes" and then enter the disclaimer except for the most recent previous launch. We have never seen a launch like we did yesterday for a GPU. And I've been buying gaming cards since the original Voodoo Graphics.

No, this is not always how it goes. I had no issue getting a 2080 on day one. Bots have not been a problem with any GPU launch until yesterday.

Here's a informational video on the subject
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHogHMvZscM

According to AIB's and SI's, this was not a paper launch, and they would be the first ones to throw Nvidia under the bus to avoid shouldering any of the blame. They had at least as much stock, if not more than they did for Turing. The demand was just that high. One of the AIB's, may have been EVGA, don't remember, is reporting they are getting more stock every couple of days. They expect larger shipments in October when they won't have to ship airfreight. It will also help having multiple models available(3090,3080,3070,3060?). We may well see inventory stabilize before the end of the year.
Good thing we have an industry insider like you to set us all straight. Thank God for that.

It was KNOWN this was going to be a launch with a lack of supply, and was reported by multiple sources deep in the industry way before the release date was even announced. So to say it was simply "bots" or "the supply chain" or whatever excuse somebody wants to make up to account for why the cards are not available, is ridiculous. It's combination of a lack of yields, during a Covid 19 year where the entire supply chain has been about 90% broken for a while now, plus a major demand for cards that even the current generation models were not able to be kept filled with, along with power supplies, fans and CPU coolers, among other things.

To say this is just all down to everybody on Earth was all trying to order one at the same time, explains away some of the problems with the various websites crashing or having issues, but it doesn't explain away the lack of cards. So, whatever. No matter what the reason is, good luck getting one.

Whatever the reason, you can't claim "this is ALWAYS how it goes" and then enter the disclaimer except for the most recent previous launch. We have never seen a launch like we did yesterday for a GPU. And I've been buying gaming cards since the original Voodoo Graphics.
That's great. Many of us have been buying, fixing, upgrading and otherwise tinkering with computer systems since before gaming cards even existed. I don't know what you think that has to do with anything. There's plenty of people that couldn't drive for squat in the 60's and still can't today, so doing it for a long time doesn't necessarily mean a damn thing.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
That's great. Many of us have been buying, fixing, upgrading and otherwise tinkering with computer systems since before gaming cards even existed. I don't know what you think that has to do with anything. There's plenty of people that couldn't drive for squat in the 60's and still can't today, so doing it for a long time doesn't necessarily mean a damn thing.
What are you talking about?

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
To say this is just all down to everybody on Earth was all trying to order one at the same time, explains away some of the problems with the various websites crashing or having issues, but it doesn't explain away the lack of cards. So, whatever. No matter what the reason is, good luck getting one.
You seem a lot more angry about this than I am. I have no problem waiting a while to get a card. It's just a video card, not something vitally important to life like a new Jonas Brothers CD.

I'm not angry. I'm just surprised that people are surprised that there wasn't more than a light dusting of cards per retailer available, because the signs were all there as well as the leaks to back it up, that this was going to happen.

As far as the Jonas Brothers CD goes, nice bit that.

xrobwx71

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020
Preorders that went live on June 17, 0900 EST, would have sold out in 3 minutes. Just like the physical devices devices did yesterday.

They're building them as fast as they can. There would have been no ramping up of the assembly line.
Makes sense.

folfy20

Reputable
Apr 18, 2016
There are laws for Government public biddings in many countries , but for Private bidding houses the laws protects the contract , meaning it is lawful contract.

Some Bidding houses to avoid the fake bidding and avoid going to court , they ask you to deposit 10% of the initial Value of the product which will be returned to you after the bid is over or deducted from the total bid if you win that bid.

bottom line : dont put fake bids and dont encourage people to do it .. even on ebay.

seeing the bids reaching $ 80,000 , this is really scary if the seller decided to goto court.

and you need to know that Ebay bids can reach millions of dollars , and yes they are protected. you can even sell a private yacht on ebay if you want to. dont ever think it is not protected under the laws.
ebay is not an exclusively "private bidding house" whatever that means. Sure, sellers can set up private listings, but ebay is a worldwide platform; therefore, predominantly public.

Aug 16, 2020
There are bots everywhere... I saw Best Buy products on the RTX 3080 having comments before launch... Now, Amanzon making stupid comments https://www.amazon.ca/GeForce-RTX-3...dp/B08HR5SXPS?ref_=ast_sto_dp#customerReviews "I'm able to run games at 60 FPS at 1080p! Can't believe this looks as good as my ps4! "

I'm not angry.

I am! Not because I don't buy graphic card but because I lose my time to find one... I'm just asking to be transparent on their stock. They told nothing during the launch.