Nvidia Pulls 364.47 Driver Due To System Instability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahmedivx

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
DDu clean install went smooth for me, have no issues what so ever with the current games I play or the system itself

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
No problems with 364.47 here. I did (and always do) a 'custom' install and only installed the video drivers and phys x drivers. Then again, I have an old 780ti, so maybe the changes in the new driver don't impact me.

TripleHeinz

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
No problems at all with 364.47 for me, i'm posting from the updated PC. Did a custom installation (gfx driver only) and didn't clean up my previous settings. I have Windows 10 and a GTX 750Ti.

Memhorder

Distinguished
Glad I never installed it. Even 361.91 has issues for me. Might roll back further. Unreal Engine 4 seems to not like 361.91 but it's an Arma 3 specific driver so Arma 3 shall get my attention ;)

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
I, too, had problems during install with my Titan Blacks in win 10. Its worth noting that after a couple of failed reboots, you can easily just boot into safe mode when windows prompts you, and uninstall the drivers.

First time I ever had a Nvidia driver fail when not opting to do a clean install. Happens often with the new Crimson drivers from AMD, so I dont even bother trying to install new drivers without using the AMD cleanup utility (great tool, btw, kudos AMD) and DDU in safe mode. Guess I will now have to plan on doing the same with Nvidia drivers.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Happens often with the new Crimson drivers from AMD, so I dont even bother trying to install new drivers without using the AMD cleanup utility (great tool, btw, kudos AMD) and DDU in safe mode. Guess I will now have to plan on doing the same with Nvidia drivers.

My experience has been the opposite. I've gotten lazy and I never run driver cleaners anymore. No issues here. Not even with my Creative SB Zx (*GASP*) drivers which is a real shocker after my Audigy 2 days. But nope, no Crimson issues either. But who knows, that tool might come in handy some day.

Oh, and I don't mean this as a slam against Nvidia in the slightest, but this just goes to show that AMD and Nvidia's drivers are on par these days. They both have their issues (AMD is usually more open about them) and their rough releases here and there. But by and large they're both pretty good at least for WHQL releases.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Sounds about right. Thanks for making me system restore.
Eh.... it happens every once in awhile. Personally, I wonder how this got past beta testing without someone pointing out "Hey, this makes systems unstable doodz!"

In business, regression testing is generally an afterthought. Most companies these days run risk analysis numbers that place overall profits ahead of bug testing their periodic releases. It's easier to kick something out the door that mostly works, make a LOT of money, then clean up the little messes later with a EULA as protection.

Simply put... If they money they stand to MAKE outweighs legal fees/fallout from released software that causes them to LOSE money ... They are going to release it.
In the end (profit and loss considered)... They make a profit.
That is your final answer for 'how it got past beta testing'.

This is nothing... I can recall past instances where Symantec/McAfee/Eset released botched antivirus definitions that quarantined system files out of %systemroot%\system32\..

Prior to upgrading ANYTHING, ***ALWAYS*** have a restore path in-place that you have tested and know works. Several exist that are free.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Oh, and I don't mean this as a slam against Nvidia in the slightest, but this just goes to show that AMD and Nvidia's drivers are on par these days. They both have their issues (AMD is usually more open about them) and their rough releases here and there. But by and large they're both pretty good at least for WHQL releases.

For CFX/SLI certainly not---but AMD has shown some encouraging signs lately with more frequent driver "hotfixes" than they had been. For single cards, AMD's slow driver releases are generally less of an issue due to most new games working OK with older drivers, except those with Tesselation saturating libraries like Gameworks titles that need to be optimized by the driver team. But in terms of base stability with single cards, yes, I would agree AMD and Nvidia are on par there.

Still no fix for CFX in Fallout 4 though. I'm beginning to think they just gave up on the CFX profile---in the latest hotfix (yesterday?) the drivers default to single card for FO4 on my 2 290x install, and there isnt a manual FO4 profile in the list (although there apparently never was, even when CFX was "working" in previous driver releases).

WaltzWorker

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
Well... BOO!!! lol When it started updating it flashed 'black screens' on both monitors as it's done in the past... But they wouldn't stop!!! Suffice it to say that I was finally able to go back with a restore point and got it running... I don't think this update caused my system issues, but make them worse! Getting ready to do a fresh install... BOO!!

AsaDexter

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
The issues started before the installation was even complete. Monitor on and off, random resolution changes, a horrible popping sound. Was worried it had fried something. Was a pain with all of the glitches, but was able to get to the device driver and roll it back rather than doing a system restore. And yeah, I was lazy and had done the express install for the new driver, so maybe tied to that. Reported to Nvidia right when it happened.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
364.47 on my MSI GT72 laptop with GTX980 Desktop card. Custom/Clean checked. Only issue I had was my 2nd USB monitor went dark, but simple reconnecting it fixed it. Only happened once so far.

Circlestrafe

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
I had to system restore. will consider AMD next time.

...and when it happens with an AMD driver, will you consider Nvidia next time? In 30 years of building PCs (mostly for gaming), EVERY manufacturer has fubared something somewhere. Just because Company A released a driver/product that screwed YOUR system up today, doesn't mean that Company B you jump ship to is going to be a flawless relationship. At least it's not as ludicrous as the 'I'm NEVER buying from LMNOP because 2 of their products destroyed my neighborhood. (even though 50 million people have those same 2 products and lived happily ever after.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Another issue with Nvidia drivers. The biggest problem I ever had with AMD drivers was the flickering of the top left corner of the screen in Shadow of Mordor. I never had BSODs, never had to do a system restore because of an AMD GPU driver, and of course, their drivers never killed my GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS