Nvidia Pulls GPU Overheating 196.75 Driver

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

If it warms up the GPU then yes, but as others have pointed out if you use a third party monitoring software and/or fan controller then just turn the fans up manually. I've been using this driver for the last few days and hadn't noticed any issues but then my fans for the 8800's are run the mobo and are at 100% all the time and my 9500GT doesn't get hot even when folding.

G

I wonder if these drivers were released in anticipation of the 400 series and was sort of a "test" driver, to see if they could both work simultaneously. As the GTX 400 hardware is vastly different from the previous generation, perhaps they need two different sets of drivers?

G

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/03/04/gtx-470-pcb-gets-nekkid-put-through-thrashing/

A few GTX 470 benches.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]thorimmortal[/nom]@barmaley,+1 on monitoring your temps and adjusting fans manually.[/citation]

This is why i hate the GT2xx series. When i tested the GT260 and GT280 i noticed how hot they are, so I jumped straight from a 8800GTX to a 4870 and never looked back. NO MORE fiddling with the drivers and burning myself on my video cards.

I repair laptop MBs and video cards for a living, and i can tell you i get lots of nvidia GT2xx series cards with dead GPUs from overheating or chips that need reballing. It's not really nvidia's fault, it's the OEM's fault for using crappy ROHS BGA kits with VGA cards that run around 80-100 degrees.

[citation][nom]notty22[/nom]Video card issues are probably the #1 bricker of Laptops.Given the installed base, I bet ATI cards have a much higher % of failures.I have a 2004 Sony/ATI bricked . The current owners of ATI, the OIL Barons don't care much about the legacy hardware, in case you didn't know.[/citation]
[citation][nom]thorimmortal[/nom]@barmaley,+1 on monitoring your temps and adjusting fans manually.[/citation]

Actually, most bricked laptops come from #1 HP, #2 Sony and #3 Dell. It's 90% Nvidia chipsets, mostly MCPs (northbridges with on board VGA), especially the 430 / 6150 on HP DV2000/6000/9000, and GF 8600/9500 on Pavillion DV6000 / 9000 series. Again, CRAPPY COOLING.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]VioMeTriX[/nom]this actually fried my sons computer yesterday.... is nvidia going to pay for this?[/citation]
How did it fried your son's PC? I could understand the card being fried but the whole PC?

dennisburke

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Trying to play L4D and L4D2 online last night was a nightmare...never seen anything like that before. Two f...ed up WHQL drivers in a row...I'm back to the 195.62. I think the boys at Nvidia are spending too much time playing driving games with three monitors with those funny glasses.

jezzarisky

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
It's not like it's been that long since ATI was having troubles with their drivers. Neither company is without blame for bad drivers of past, nor will either be without blame in the future.

jezzarisky

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
[citation][nom]reynod[/nom]I have had enough problems with the 196.21 drivers thanks ... and I was thinking of rolling back another notch.Cheers[/citation]

I have been running the 196.21 driver for a little over two weeks now with not even a hiccup.

boredreader

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Wow, only if I read this post first. My 8800 GTS is failing like it is overheating with tons of defects on screen and tearing everywhere since the update. I hope this isn't a permanent damage!

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
nvidia's allowed to **** up drivers every now and then too.

and i think i'll just manually set my GPU fan to 100% when i launch a game. nvidia makes installing new drivers a real pain for us 3dvision owners, and i'm just going to wait till fixed ones come out b4 i go through the bother again.

nate007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Well all I can say is so much for ALL the Trash talking about ATI and it's drivers huh !
Seems like what goes around comes around. Personally I have had Both cards from either Company and I would say Nvidia puts more effort to improve game performance on its drivers but in all honestly the last year it has been not so great at dealing with issues on its Cards. In contrast ATI have cleaned up it drivers issues and seem to be improving not only on there Cards but putting more effort in the drivers.

What I am wondering about it now that Nvidia ADMITTED there is a problem what will it do with the people that have ALREADY damaged either the Video card and or whatever else on the PC ?
Thankfully I didnt upgrade my old Gaming PC to the new drivers , while my New gaming PC has a 5850 so not applicable here.

G

Installed the driver, after 1 hour on WOW Lich King, Video no longer worked for anything. My ASUS G1S Laptop is now DEAD!

G

my 9800GT fried up .. thanks to the new driver.. but honestly this is the first time i'm having problem with NVIDIA drivers.. b4 they actually put improvement in the drivers.. now they screwed up and hit the wall of shame.. Nice move .. need fast feedback on this fried card ..

nate007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Wow...sorry to hear that.
I am so glad I missed out on this whole fiasco, but I feel the pain for the gamers that will have to go through countless days or weeks maybe months before they get there issued resolved.

I had that same driver w/o any issues whatsoever, GPU was running at 39c idle 58c load (55% fan speed)

Its up to the user to have some sort of monitoring software on thier PC, not sure what all the hype is about since most NV GPU's will shut off once they reach their heat threshold. My board automatically starts beeping once ANY component reaches 70c..

yea but there is a difference between having artifacts (fixable) vs. a dead GPU (not fixable) :D

PieceMaker42

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Now I know why I have been crashing a few times over the past few days while playing BF:BC2. I thought it was heat, but wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for the heads up.

thezmurf

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Yepp. Another one bites the dust. The 9800GT seated in my Pavilion 9367 is now dead after using this crappy driver. Works (hmm) like a dream when I'm using MS standard VGA driver but when I install a Nvidia driver the screen goes bananas.

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
An Nvidia GPU bricked my $800 laptop. I looks to me like it is time for Nvidia to either start paying for their mistakes or go out of business.

While both ATI and Nvidia have had driver problems, ATI never bricked my laptop or cost me any $$$$.

I have poured over $1500 into Nvidia motherboards, video cards, etc, over the course of 10 years... not including my now-dead laptop. Then when something happens, Nvidia will not do the right thing for the people that have purchased so much from them.

Screw me once, shame on you. Nvidia get NO MORE $$$$ from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS