Nvidia Pulls GPU Overheating 196.75 Driver

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

using this driver i had several game crashes and even had windows 7 64bit enterprise give me a blue screen of death from a machine check exception causing my raid controller to corrupt all the data across all my drives to a point that recovery was impossible. Switched to the new driver nvidia released the other day and have had no problems since.

G

Had 2 8800GTS 640MB SLI’d from EVGA, now I have 1.

I had just noticed my legs getting warm, stuck my head down there and heard a distinct lack of fan noise. Cards were hotter than they have ever been, and I hadn’t been up and running that long, less than 2 hours. I set up a table-top fan to blow in there and was just setting out to find a way to force the fans to turn on when the screen stuttered, barfed up some nice purple and bright green and then died. Found out only one of them died, but unless I get some coin to help me replace the dead one (I am sure it is beyond any warranty) I am off to ATI. I am not flush enough to subsidize Nvidia’s lack of Driver skills.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
another day, another woefully buggy and low quality driver from nvidia.

was this one hurting quality and customers just for the quest to get higher benchmarks and hype for their new cards? or was it just innocent incompetence.

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
I'm glad I have an old 120 mm fan from a scrapped Sun server blowing out on my leg so that I can feel the temperature inside of my computer.

If it gets too hot, I'll just turn up that beast from ~1200 rpm to just a tad over 3000 rpm. By then it draws about 3 amperes and sound like a jet taking off, but it will definitely pull a lot of air out of my modified case :D

Those old Sun servers must have gone really hot :p

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
i hope everyone having trouble or ruined comonents like me has contacted nvidia. they need to know they are responsible for this, and replacing the damage they did. but i am sure they will make good on it.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Back in the day, Nvidia, Nvidia, etc.... then ... GPU problems they lied about and dis credited for over a year...

Granted, ATI has had its share of driver problems, and yes they release drivers every month, but I have never had the issues I had when I picked up my first Nvidia card... and their naming conventions... give me a break, they make it confusing to know if if you have a newer or older card... Especially since I am looking at replacing a laptop soon, I know what a Mobile 38xx series is, I know what a mobile 4xxx series is, and I know what a mobile 5xxx series card is.

ATI will not have a mobile 3xxx series card that out performs a 5xxx series card...

And I don't like the ATI CCC but the Nvidia control panel leaves allot to be desired

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
My #1 card (SLI setup)hit the max EVGA Precision can read which is 100 C so basically the drivers turned that cards fan totally off. Luckily I noticed it quickly before I ended up with a dead card like I have been reading about on Nvidia's forums.

ralderson

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
It happened to us on Thursday night. Card is fried. Fortunately no harm to the pc but we're stuck with an old low-end graphics card while I wrangle with the manufacturer. Best Buy basically told us to go away.

G

nVidia will need to pony up for some new cards on this mistake. If they don't, they'll lose customers for good...including me.

nVidia will need to pony up for some new cards on this mistake. If they don't, they'll lose customers for good...including me.
As has been pointed out in another thread in the forums you are on your own as far as Nvidia is concerned, looks like you are going to be an ATi customer from now on then.

GPU Common Sense = Monitor your GPU temps at all times = No burnt GPU

I can understand the frustration of people that were maybe folding and away from their PC but many users don't even bother to monitor their hardware and those users should not be entitled to anything..

G

Experienced two hard shutdowns on my i7 920/ Asus P6T/ GTX 295 after having played COD Modern Warfare for 5 to 10 min. Noticed that the exhaust temp was rather unusual hot and there was an unusual loud fan noise, compared to the previous times I've run COD MF. At first I didn't know what to suspect Mobo or Gfx... I think I know where to look now. the GTX 295 still seems to work, but it now shows regular pauses. Not long but, just long enough to be noticable (and annoying).

acyuta

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
After reading this, I was apprehensive about the 196.75 driver installed on 5-3-10. I had bought a 9800GT 1gb a few days back (on 27-2-10). However, so far, there has been no problem with either the temp of GPU (~50C), fan speeds, or CPU temp. Maybe this is because I am not into gaming, but more into video rendering and conversion. I am keeping the 196.75 driver and hoping for an update soon from NVIDIA that will fix the problem that many others have reported.

I'm also still using the 196.75 driver as I've had no problems with it but that maybe because my 9500GT only has a 2 pin fan and my 8800's fans are powered from the mobo and as such the fan control side of the driver has no effect, this might go some way to explain the lack of issues that some have had whilst some have had terminal meltdowns.

josephrot

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Hmm...

RE: >
and
>

For those having trouble locating the download for the 196.75 driver package, is there any more accurate URL or link we can get??

josephrot

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Sorry, previous Message should have said:

From previous comments, it appears "safest" to revert back to the so-called Beta driver set 196.34, NOT to go back to the 196.75 or to the now-dangerous 196.21

Why risk it using anything else for now?

It's clear that it may take many days or even a few weeks for Nvidia to sort out and repair the problems, then test and then announce yet another driver Update package.

Again, maybe using the 196.34 level drivers is the best point to revert to for now.

What are the dangers with the 196.21? I ask because I have not heard of any and wonder what you know that we don't.

mtdR

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I need your help guys : after downloaded 196.75 and roll back 196.21 my computer continue to crash on the same games in the same timing.
So i downloaded SpeedFan program to check at my GPU's temperature and the speedfan. When i don't play my GPU~60°C and my speedfan is between 1800-1900 RPM.
When i tested to play video games, the speed fan was between 2000-2200 RPM and my GPU's temperature was at 99°C, so i quit before crash.
I have a few question : 1. Do you think it will change anything if put an older driver than the 196.21 ?
2. Is it possible to manually increase the speedfan manually with a program? if yes whitch one.
3. Do you think a format will be able to change anything? (i doubt because 196.75 is no longer on my computer).

Thanks

Try Rivatuner together with the 196.34 beta drivers.

mtdR

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
the 196.34 beta drivers isn't for windows XP sadly :( so i ll try an older version, if its dont work i'll use your Rivatuner with the 196.21 driver till nVIDIA release his fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.