Nvidia Quadro FX 4800: Workstation Graphics At Its Finest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

why do i feel like when everyone compares workstation cards to gaming ones they get it wrong. a 4800 Fx will performs 99% like a 260GTX and if you softmod it to a Quadro than you have the same effect the other way around. really you are paying for driver support. i much rather just pay for the card.

ankolistoflower

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
They really mean it when they say great support. I once got a custom driver made specificly for my system overnight for a glitch I had. It saved me from loosing a client and a few thousand dollars for that one specific gig...

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]bob49574[/nom]why do i feel like when everyone compares workstation cards to gaming ones they get it wrong. a 4800 Fx will performs 99% like a 260GTX and if you softmod it to a Quadro than you have the same effect the other way around. really you are paying for driver support. i much rather just pay for the card.[/citation]

I think the comparison to the gaming card came from readers in past workstation card stories requesting such comparisons.

ph3412b07

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
Great article, I appreciate the benches comparing the GTX 280 on workstation apps. I'll spend my money on gaming cards and leave it to corporations to purchase workstations...

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]I think the comparison to the gaming card came from readers in past workstation card stories requesting such comparisons.[/citation]
this is challanging the consumers intelect with all things on the table ... actulay is the same GPU chip but performs so differently because of few modifications ... wonder how much this thing will keep up from nvidia and amd ... makeing their customers stupid so obvious ... i mean it is the same fukin engine at heart why sell it so overpriced ?

G

Looking at the results, I cannot understand how you can wholeheartedly recommend FX 4800 over cheaper FirePro V8700. Quadro benchmark results do not seem "convincing" to me since differences are quite small in most cases. The recommendation has to be based on type of work/application someone is using.

armistitiu

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
I'm getting tired of NVIDIA's crap: "....but our cards have CUDA support". Enough marketing! I think someone who's willing to buy a card because they want to program on the GPU MUST know that both vendors have a SDK for stream programming and it's actually the SAME thing. I've tried them both (FireStream and CUDA) and there are very little differences between them. If they wanna brag about 3rd party apps...well how many are they? 2? 3? Just wait until OpenCL (sdk and cl) is finally released and maybe then we'll see more applications in this GPGPU area and maybe they'll stop with this "oh but we have CUDA" thing.

fayskittles

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I would like to see them use riva tuner and to tell the drivers it is not a geforce and see what kind of bench marking they get then. Or the other way around. Turn the workstation card into a gaming card. How about throwing a game on a workstaion card. See how it handles it.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I don't think a business will select a card based on how it does overrall in these benchmarks but how they do in individual benchmarks. I think there is a good reason to go with the FireStream instead if you are using something like Maya predominantly.

G

I think you do know that they are getting an extremely responsive support team which comes when you pay the premium price of Quadro, right?

empstar

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
fayskittles wrote:
How about throwing a game on a workstaion card. See how it handles it.

ya I agree. I want to see the score too. Crysis, 3D mark Vantage etc.

marokero

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Thanks for the article. I wonder if there's a chance Nvidia will send you one of their Tesla solutions for review...

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]I think the comparison to the gaming card came from readers in past workstation card stories requesting such comparisons.[/citation]
Eh, it would have been more interesting if it was softmodded. I know the GT200's don't take well to being softmodded (appearntly it is possible), but I doubt anyone thought the performance would be the same unmodified.

G

Me being an ATI fan, I always find it a pitty when NVidia overtakes ATI.
But then again I can be grateful to NVidia for giving alternatives, and for allowing the concurrence to drop prices of these cards.

Sorry for my previous post,I accidentally pressed the submit button.
I wished sometimes we could delete, or modify our previous posts.

G

I don't think there's a sane person buying a workstation graphics card to play games. They are 2D accelerated,or openGL accelerated, but I doubt they would perform well in DirectX /Direct3D games.

G

V8700 costs a lot less than this "quattro stagioni" and in those benchies quattro wins, it does usually it with a little margin but still you recommend this pig. In Maya V8700 simply wins.

scoob

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I wish the Quadro cx would have been included in the tests, Im more into Video editing but there is alot one can do with 3D programs to make your projects even better and im gonna build a new workstation and im a little confused lol, the Quadro Cx is fantastic with Adobe Premier but does it also kickass with other editing software (Avid,,,).

scoob

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I wish the Quadro cx would have been included in the tests, Im more into Video editing but there is alot one can do with 3D programs to make your projects even better and im gonna build a new workstation and im a little confused lol, the Quadro Cx is fantastic with Adobe Premier but does it also kickass with other editing software (Avid,,,).

Status
Not open for further replies.