Nvidia Releases Entire Lineup of DX11 Mobile GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Pretty impressive that they were able to update the entire mobile lineup this quickly and with truly new products and not just rebrands.

For once.....good job nvidia!

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
FoShizzleDizzle, why do you think that ?

They will only be used whilst using serious 3d stuff like games and 3d apps, and I think that people usually do their work/gaming at places where there is a socket available. Even then the gt 420m will do just fine without one, I think.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]Yay, hope I can get some of those CHEAP! I'd like a notebook with which I can crack wpa2 in 15 minutes.[/citation]

... What, your cracker uses OpenCL or CUDA? What does that have to do with a GPU update?

Congrats to Nvidia, will be interesting to see what they're actually capable of and what the pricetag will be. Also, as Optimus enables the GPU to switch off, well... Switch off to what? An Intel IGP will be there as well?

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
The inclusion of Optimus is no surprise given the relatively power-hungry nature of these chips, but doesn't that add to the price of implementation when you need another graphics chip in there to switch over to? Or am I missing something?

Just in time for AMD to release the second wave of Radeon Mobility DX11 cards this fall(6xxx series). Playing catch-up is a bitch which is probably why these are not just rebranded parts. Nvidia has proven time and time again that they require a strong competitor or they stop innovating and start stagnating um cough rebranding(GTS 240 aka 9800 GT aka 8800 GT). I hope AMD doesn’t let up as we should get some good competition in 2011 which is good for everyone.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]maximus20895[/nom]I can only imagine how hot these will get..[/citation]
we all know how that GF104 460 gets right =p need atleast the watt requirements before start branding things hot.

kilthas_th

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hopefully these new parts from the new architecture don't suffer the same fate as the old 8(4/6)00M series. Nice to see them back in the game.

G

'These mobile GPUs will go well with their battery life of about 10 minutes.'

Name one gaming mobile GPU that has good battery life - yeah there are none. So your point is what exactly?

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]... What, your cracker uses OpenCL or CUDA?[/citation]

There is a CUDA SDK available that works with aircrack, so the answer is yes and it will work like a charm with the proper wireless chip...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]FoShizzleDizzle[/nom]These mobile GPUs will go well with their battery life of about 10 minutes.[/citation]
Battery Life? LOL. Who plays games on battery? Are you really on a plane tearing through a single-player campaign of Modern Warfare 2?

The enthusiast laptop products are for high-end laptops that are more about transportability than mobility. Its a lot easier to take a 15-pound, 17-inch laptop and power-brick to a LAN party than it is a 40-pound steel case with a 24-inch LCD monitor.

Still, for the price, I would stick with a desktop. I mean, seriously, how many LAN parties are people going to these days that they need a $2500+ laptop solely for gaming?

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Well, there are no good ion netbooks (1201n is sold out), and all the existing mobile gpu's either suck (gt 210M) or are ridiculously overpriced (gt 280m).

haramir

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I can't possibly be the only person here that can't help but add a "Prime" any time he reads the word "Optimus" can I?

NotYetRated

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Let's hope these guys come in cool and cheap. Haha lets also hope Intel drops processor prices. While were "hoping" lets go ahead and hope Sony starts giving away Bravia tv's for free.

ares1214

Splendid
[citation][nom]x-fi gamer[/nom]AMD/ATi fanbois do you hear that OWNED!!! MuHAHAHA[/citation]

So with no proof of benchmarks, first you assume it will beat what AMD has. Well, this is what, 9 months late to the party, so id hope it would beat AMD, even though it wouldnt surprise me if it doesnt. Next, it might consume a lot of power/cost a lot/run hot, and all those things that make Fermi 100 bad. So if anybody has been "owned" its nvidia as they are losing the war.

Whats the power consumption on some of those, it looks like they kept most of the cores on the first three and just scaled the clocks down, they didnt drop half their cores like ATI did so i imagine GTX480M's in SLI would pump out a ton of heat.

theoutbound

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Wow, this has been a long time coming. It's still good to see some competition for ATI though. I can't wait for some performance benchmarks for these parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.