Nvidia Reveals Pascal: GTX 1080 And 1070 To Beat Titan X, GDDR5X Debuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's already known. Being released June 10, price of $379 MSRP.

@kcarbotte: You say these GPUs require less power, but that's not true. The graph shows the 1080 having higher power requirements than the 980, though it does have better perf/watt but strictly speaking will require a higher amount of power.

jfkeenan

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Twice as fast as a Titan X? I'm currently running GTX Titan X in 2 way SLI so I can get nearly 60fps in 4K. So I can't wait to SLI 2 GTX1080's! Shut up and take my money! first post too. cool never did that before.

The graph is performance in VR. Nvidia is releasing some new software optimizations for higher FPS in VR. Outside of VR, normal gaming, it is not 2X the performance of a Titan X. Heck, even with VR it won't be - numbers are marketing.

LookItsRain

Distinguished
Ill believe the hyper when the benchmarks come out, i have a hard time believing these performance numbers. Maybe the 1070 founders edition at max overclock beats a titan x that isnt overclocked at best.

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
I saw this quoted as well: "2x perf and 3x efficiency vs Titan X wheb using Pascal's special features". I'm guessing he said that, but not the whole quote made it in.

I'm anxious to see Toms test the 1080 so we can actually see what the REAL performance increase is.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Never watched one of these livestreams, previously, but that dude needs some serious polish. Should've been half as long, at most. He seems to think he's Steve Jobs, but he's not. I'm guessing nobody has the balls to tell him that.

As for the specs on the GTX... It's a little more than double the clock with slightly fewer transistors & shader cores? So, yeah, I'll buy that it can do 2x the perf, in some cases. It does make me just that much more interested in seeing the 1080 Ti, though.

I really don't see your complaint here. For one thing, he's putting on a show for an audience. He has to be sociable with them.

A higher binned chip with more OC potential for $699.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you enjoyed it, great. But there were over 7 M viewers of this thing, and you'd never see anything on TV with that kind of audience that's so poorly paced and unpolished.

It could have been great, with a different presenter and if the segments had been trimmed, a bit.

Anyway, that's not why we're here. We got the key specs, and now the waiting game continues. Let's see some benchmarks!

BTW, I don't see how anyone could follow the chat stream.

I think the Tom incident was intentional, according to Sakkura.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
As someone who has a decent 4k display for gaming and done a lot research on it I can tell you that a pair of 970's struggle for most ultra settings. With research even 980ti's in SLI have to work hard for current games @ 60fps. It's not all just the vrams either, the clocks are peaked. With these 1080's having lower clocks I'm skeptical about the 4k issue, VR is nice but that's only one part of the landscape. Unless Tom's or someone can show some useful benches I'll probably have to wait till the 1080ti or something similar.

3ogdy

Distinguished
I loved the article, but you wrapped it up the wrong way, I believe. This is how I would've finished this article:

Last we checked, we got an x70 card with 87.5% of the (high-speed) VRAM we were lied to about and we were told we'd get. Is history following its course with the GeForce GTX 1070p?
Is nVidia being an HIV-infected prostitute dying for customer money again? That means selling a 7GB (practically usable) card while lying to your customers you're selling an 8GB one.
Stay tuned for actual reviews to see what you're being told to spend your money on!

InvalidError

Titan

Nothing bold about those claims: new architecture + die shrink from 28nm to 16nm = massive performance improvement with potential for at least 5X Maxwell. Nvidia merely doubling performance of the Maxwell generation gives away that Nvidia is tapping less than half of the potential 16nm has.

tmach

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
AMD, make your move, this time I'll wait. Bought the 970 before AMD's 300 series launched and I regret it.

No need to regret that. 970 came out nearly a year before the 390x, which is the only one that beats it. There's ALWAYS going to be a better card a year out.

Bartendalot

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
AMD, make your move, this time I'll wait. Bought the 970 before AMD's 300 series launched and I regret it.

In all fairness, you had to wait 9 months or so between the GTX970 and the launch of the 300 series.

Assuming the Polaris launch is smooth, you shouldn't have to wait very long to see benchmarks of Pascal to Polaris for comparison.

The last time I waited on AMD was for the launch of the FuryX which was a waste of a month before I picked up a 980 it which has been a great card.

Status
Not open for further replies.