Nvidia Selling its Own Retail Add-in Graphics Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Am I surprised by this? Actually, I'm far more surprised by nVidia somehow gaining the capability to manufacture its own boards, than I am by the price. (I mean, 66% more than on NewEgg? This is Best Buy, after all)

My guess is that nVidia has these boards actually produced by someone else, (likely eVGA or PNY, both of which, IIRC, have produced their "reference boards" in the past) and simply re-badged it as their own work. After all, re-branding is a skill that nVidia's had years to hone!

G

Means they get extra $ for the Chip, makes sense seeming they are not doing so well lately!

CTPAHHIK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
[citation][nom]cryio[/nom]GTS 460? That's a "X" there, not an S[/citation]
GTS 460 is a typo in article, should be GTX460

randomizer

Champion
I would not be surprised if these were manufactured by Palit. They've got the capacity to do this. There's not that many manufacturers they could be getting from anyway. Half of the brands on the market are just stickers on someone else's product.

EDIT: I'll be sure to read the article next time.

halcyonnn

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
For everyone speculating at who makes the board, please actually read the article.

"The packaging also makes it abundantly clear that it's designed and built by Nvidia, despite being a product from the Foxconn factories."

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
and yet company never surprise me.. They never learn anything.. Now Nvidia is going to follow the same path as 3dfx. They company they took out of the business so elegantly

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
@ randomizer. That or perhaps BFG dropped out of the video card business to solely manufacture the nVIDIA brand, or sold their facility to nVIDIA. The two events do seem to coincide nicely.

Funny how it seems they're doing what ATI did, just in reverse. I wonder if eventually they'll go fully into reverse and end up where ATI began - being the sole manufacturer of their products.

Shivetya

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Now this, just after Nvidia only managed to bring its product to market six months later than ATI...and longer for the mainstream.

3dfx anyone? Although maybe with that price for a stock card, other card manufacturers aren't going to care anyway.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Am I the only one who doesn't care to decide between XFX, Palit, ASUS etc.?
Give me a gold ole' Radeon 5870 with a fat ATi sticker on it. Not XFX, and not AMD either.
:D

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I agree with the above comments.
I though the 460 was supposed to compete with the 5770, so it should be roughly half what it's selling for here.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Wow. This is pretty shocking. Usually you don't want to compete with your customers. This is also why Microsoft doesn't sell computers...

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
So is this the horrible 768 MB or the decent 1024 MB version?

Off topic:
Why is there a QR code on the price tag? Product page link?
Is anyone besides Best Buy doing this QR thing?

Last time I was in the US they didn't have them, although that was before Android...

ALANMAN

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Definitely would NOT buy from Foxconn. Friend of mine bought a 9600GT couple years back. The first one failed not long after it was purchased. The replacement from the manufacturer never worked right and they refused to replace it again.

kansur0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I think the market they are tapping are the people who have absolutely no clue there is an online or computer store market that actually specialize in computer parts. Actually...they are tapping the people who actually have no clue. People who have a hard time finding the "on" switch. You could tell them that this video card makes the mouse pointer go faster and look crisper and they would buy it.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
[citation][nom]djhg2000[/nom]...Off topic:Why is there a QR code on the price tag? Product page link?Is anyone besides Best Buy doing this QR thing?Last time I was in the US they didn't have them, although that was before Android...[/citation]
They (I guess I should say we) started that a month or so ago. I'm personally not a big fan of it because a lot of times there's less info on the tag, forcing you to either have done your homework, or have a smart phone with an app that can scan them. Although I guess I would care less if I had a smart phone.

On topic: that IS some cool packaging, but Newegg does have spec cards for less money. If you want instant gratification, then you have to pay for the cost of having sit in a store instead of a warehouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.