[quotemsg=13493591,0,1685449]thnx for the tip, i was kinda hoping the reason shield wasn't available in EU was because they'd skip Shield 1 and start shipping Shield 2 directly
I just checked amazon.com and if i order it there i'll pay like $199 and a few bucks shipping, so that's about €170......
But when i checked : http://www.androidwafer.com/nvidia-shield-to-get-portal-but-still-no-european-release/ I almost got a heartattack (or at least my wallet did)
Importers are currently selling the SHIELD for around £250 on Amazon UK, €335 on Amazon Germany and €330 on Amazon France. But these figures are considerably above the $249.99 (approximately €180/£150) selling price in the United States – the difference is so large it cannot simply be accounted for by European sales taxes.
so i'm gonna wait a few more weeks and if nothing changes I'll order from US..... Even if I order 2 I'd still pay less[/quotemsg]
Wow, expensive. I would have a heart attack myself, and the wallet would scream and run from me laughing...LOL.
But WAIT for sure, you'll be a LOT happier knowing the wait actually got you a REV2 K1 model. Might as well get something out of waiting a year
I'll be shocked if it doesn't get announced at google I/O in two weeks with availability immediately or in July. I'd guess that depends on how many the still have left after dropping R1 to $199. That was supposed to end in may, but they kept it going (clearing stock I'd guess so keeping it running). Google/NV just announced project tango a week ago or so, and last year shield was all over the center of the floor being demoed.
Clearly google is moving into gaming (they have a game site for devs now for quite some time), so I'll be shocked if they don't do the announcement of R2 at google's show since it's perfect timing as last year was out july 31st and pre-order in end of may IIRC. Rumor is they swapped to tegra for a gaming tablet instead of qcom also. I hope they are doing that as nobody else is tackling gaming on android like Nvidia.
Definitely watch out for importers jacking up things
At those prices the rev2 would be a decent deal anyway as I doubt it will be over $300 and they may hit $250 for pre-order or something to kick it off. I doubt K1 is much more expensive to make and should be a drop in replacement with little effort as K1 is low watt kepler supposedly (we'll see but I suspect it's good on power with A15r3 also dropping juice). All around crazy to buy old version so close to the new one unless they put it out at $350 or some crazy price. If they want to sell the crap out of them they'll mark it at $250 or lower since it cost so little to develop (10mil for R1) and you really want market share no matter what as long as you're not losing money. Console death is the goal, along with expanding gpu sales to streamers. Also I'm sure they want OpenGL pushed (valve helping, allowing porting to shield also etc, gabe wants DX/windows dead) as at some point that leads to an ALL NV box with no WINTEL. Ultimate revenge on Intel for killing the chipset biz years ago. There is a lot of hate between NV/Intel so a cheap shield just leads to more NV android stuff and gpu sales. I'm praying for $250 or less. I won't bite at $300 until 20nm R3. I'd pay for that die shrink but not $300 for R2. I know it's better than R1 but not $100 better...ROFL.
I really think they should just sell at cost until next year so more games/devices with tegra are in the wild pushing the brand and android gaming. Whatever kills vita/3ds/consoles is good for NV sales and the android gaming ecosystem (any opengl stuff great for steamos ports too). They can go a year without profits from shield, just don't sell at a loss. BOM is probably under $170 since 3ds is $101 and Vita is $159 IIRC and that was launch. I'm sure for both it's down now so r2 might even be made under $170 especially since NV owns the soc. They don't have to charge themselves $25 for it