Nvidia vs ATI 2010

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Yeah.... I'm sure someone with the tag gtx300 is as impartial as he says.... Besides that, real benchmarks or it didn't happen... the random number that pops onto the screen during the closing part of what might be a real time run means about as much as this dirt I have here.. or claiming that it is over 9000.. you know... I'm sure it will be fast (at least faster than the gtx285, or they won't bother releasing it as a gaming card), I'm not sure how fast, and even if the bench mark has numbers all over it it still means nothing without the setting and resolution info.

"I'm not a fanboy but look how good I am at acting like one." Would be a better way to start your comment by the way.

gtx300

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010

whatever you say daedalus685 you are just an ati fanboy that will cry when the new nvidia card comes out

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

Have you had problems with ATI drivers, personally?

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Did he who named himself after a graphics card and claimed to not be a fanboy by professing his undying love to an unreleased card just refer to the guy who logically explained the situation a fan boy?

I love the internet... I love it so damn much...

Well, I'm not sure why I a ma fan boy, other than the good old christian motto of the world where "If I don't agree with you it must be because I'm right and you are going to hell."

But cheers non the less, I am glad folk like this don't often become boffins to bother me at work.. Though that is not true, I'm sure some of them pretend to be asstards on the internet too.

daedalus685, I do believe you were duped in to believing that the video was comparing a 295 to a 5970. You were looking at a comparison of a single GPU to a dual GPU. That was not the 5970, it's a 5870, which we all know isn't quite as fast as a 295, it's also quite a bit cheaper, and Vantage gives extra points for having PhysX.

Anyways, with the same system, and an old 8800GT used as a physX card. These are my scores: http://service.futuremark.com/home.action;jsessionid=AF39E716C5B52FE10C1C027746F4789E

I'm unsure if that link works for others, the score reads 20750, which happens to be higher. Granted the i7 is OC'ed, but the GPU scores are almost the same as the 295 due to getting physX from my old 8800GT.

Without the OC I recieved 19584, which means either PhysX accounted for a lot of the deficet on the video, the drivers on the 5870 were poor on that test platform, or something is fishy about the test.

I don't see the checkbox, but I don't know what preset was used on the tests in the video either. Anyways, the 295 is supposed to be faster anyways. It's the 5970 that's supposed to compete with the 295 and that test was done with Cat 9.9 drivers, which probably weren't do so well anyways since it was just at release.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
the 5970 more than 'competes' witha 295. it destroys it:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/overclock-radeon-5970-guide/8

the 5970 at stock is not even how ATI want to sell it. they had to drastically lower the voltage so it would comply with the ATX standard 300w limit. they make it very simple to overvolt and run it at 850/1200 and beyond. and its no contest from there.

right now, the 5870 is slightly behind the 295 in performance. but ahead in cost, and efficient. and as drivers mature it will likely overtake it. especially after DX11 becomes standard.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
ah i see, my mistake.

im actually considering buying a 5970 atm. i was simply going to get a second 4890 for crossfire, but looking at my finances i could just about stretch to a 5970 on selling my current 4890...

man im so tempted...

welshmousepk

Distinguished
nah, ive no need for that as a gamer (who wants a screen bezzle blocking your view?). a single ultraHD monitor would be nice though.

mainly i like the idea of playing crysis with 60FPS for the first time ever.

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
This is a never ending cycle....Ive been a nvidia fan threw the 7 series of card's and 8 series....Then got tired of the rebranding and decided to try an ATI card which happened to be a 4870 and ive had nothing but good thing's to say about it!

ATI has a good lead this year soo far and there stock is rising alot! Hell i bought 500 shares of ATI stock when it was just over a dollar a share :D Everyone at that time thought i was stupid they said ATI was doomed! I say this is a normal cycle...Nvidia got lazy now they are hurting for it but they will pull out of it and im sure they will have good card's to compete here later this year.

Im going to wait to see what Fermi has to offer and what ATI refresh has to offer before buying a new card.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Lol... This thread is so epic fail on ATi part. The only arguments have been 5870 beating the GTX295 but I will say this again the GTX295 has been out for a hell of a long time. I am GLAD ATi released something that could beat it (most of the time) because if they didn't then that would mean ATi failed. Now its Nvidias turn and guess what - LOGICALLY - if they had a card, called the GTX295, that can keep up with the NEWEST ATi cards that means that they have had time to invent something BETTER than the GTX295. What do you guys think? HMmmmmmmMmm?

What is your opinion of the 5970? You didn't forget about that card, did you?

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

Make sure you have a big case, b/c the 5970 is actually longer than the gtx 295, so you need clearance. If you have clearance and money, i'd go for it. It'd be fun to have the fastest graphics card in the world for a bit :D

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Nope did not forget. Look up benchmarks it actually performs above the 295 in most games but not by a huge margin. I saw a dirt comparison and it was roughly~ 20 fps difference. It may seem amazing but we should not pop any bottles until fermi comes out.

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

yea both the 5870 and 5970 are both bigger than the 295. I never measured my system when i got my 5870 and everything together except for the video card and when i went to put it in , it didnt even come close to fitting lol. Ended up costing me another $140 more than i thought cause i had to get a new case. If you measure out the 5870 its 11.1 inches. which is dam big. and the 5970 is a full inch longer than that.

295 = 10.5 inches
5870 = 11.1 inches
5970 = 12.25 inches (huge)

welshmousepk

Distinguished
clearance should not be an issue, i have 11.4 inches until the drive bay, but i can simply have the card extending into one of those bays.
im pretty sure im gonna get one, problem is ill have to sell my 4890, and be without a video card for a week or so.

and at werxen, its actually considerably more powerful. if you see my above post, ATI had to downclock the 5970 considerably so it could qualify as an ATX card. but they make it very simple, and virtually guarantee, that every card will at least be able to hit 5870 speeds (850/1200) with every overclock reviewed so far hitting at least 900Mhz on the core. at this point, the 5970 has almost a 50 percent lead on the 295 in most games.

i know you cant really say its an absolute, since not everyone will overclock. but to buy this card and leave it at stock voltage and clocks would be silly. like buying a ferrari and only driving it in the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.