Status
Not open for further replies.

rescawen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
As everyone knows ATI dominated 2009 and the exciting battle continues to 2010. Many electronics such as the mobile products this year is going be most epic. AMD has released its evergreen on time but Nvidia has officially pushed Fermi to march. Most likely fermi>evergreen , but IMO the HD6xxx will be EPIC.

I am holding my breath till the HD6000 and I want to know which company do u think will dominate and give conclusive reason and argument to it.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
im still waiting for the openCL initiative to bear fruits. ATi's hardware-physics alternative is still nowhere to be seen (2 years overdue). if it does come-out then bye bye nvidia. eyefinity is still a tad too expensive, and a dx11 killer-app is nil.

nvidia is trying to murder the lucid chip which was suppose to be exciting.

i say ati already have a near perfect execution with its hardware releases, which gives them the upper hand.

i have a feeling that if nvidia fails with fermi, ati will do to nvidia, what nvidia did to 3dfx.

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
how do you know Fermi will really be stonger than Ati's current cards?
I haven't really looked around, but what are the spec's?
Maybe Nvidia pushed Fermi back cuz it wasn't stronger than the Evergreen cards.

Nvidia has always been like 2 years ahead of ATI. Nvidia is far better. And will always be.

and this is why i called you an idiot in another post, right now ati is ahead, even HD4k vs G200(b) was close (4870 ~ GTX260, 4890 ~ GTX275, 4870X2 ~ GTX295, the 4870X2 actually pulls ahead of the GTX295 because of driver improvements

ATI was out first with DX11, which will pay them off, like the 8800GTX was the first DX10 card on the market... and we all know the kind of situation ATI was in with the HD3XXX with around 8 months late...

IMO, Nvidia is now in the shoes of ATI back in the HD3XXX days and vice versa with ATI with the 8XXXGTX.

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

My thoughts exactly. It is funny how some people can have very short memory.

rescawen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
We all must remember there are less scientists working at graphics segment at ATI than Nvidia. I still love tegra, but its not getting the attention that it is capable of.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
right now ATI hold both the performance AND price/performance crown. normally they duke it out, but fermi is delayed and given ATI a chance to pull ahead.

the way i see it, is that ATI have done something amazing with the 5 series cards. the performance jump between this and the last gen is absolutely huge. much more than most generation leaps.
Nvidia need to really come up with something good to come out on top. and even when they do, it wont be cheap.
i really dont think nvidia have it in them this gen. and i think they will be playing catchup for the rest of the year.

even if the extra time on fermi allows it to rival the 5870 (i doubt they could surpass it, given the massive performance leap) it will be so much more expensive by the time its released, that only die hard nvidsia fans (fanbois?) will buy them.

ive got nothing against nvidiam my alegience goes with whoever currently offers thebest cards at the best price. right now, that ATI without a doubt. and i have a feeling it will stay that way.

but if nvidia do come out with sometihng more powerful at a reasonable cost, ill surely be getting one instead of a 5870.
but right now, im expecting to be purchasing a 5870.

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
If anything, I only see ATi's lead growing through 2010.

*Assuming* Fermi does come out in March/April... there are a couple of fundamental issues Nvidia have to overcome:

1. It is not competitive per mm^2 of chip compared with Evergreen.
2. Even the top of the line Fermi is not going to be quicker than Hemlock.

Thus, ATi can set the prices from high end, and can scale them appropriately to ensure they (ATi) make a profit, and Nvidia cannot.

Two other issues are:

1. With Nvidia's design team spending so long on Fermi, how can they expect to catch up in 1 generation? Can Nvidia's finances afford them to take several generations to catch up?

2. Nvidia have to compromise the graphics performance for compute performance. ATi can offload this to their (AMD) x86 CPUs... indeed, the bulldozer archiecture is the first step toward designing CPUs and GPUs as one integrated system which load-balances depending on FP/Int requirements. This is a fundamental problem with their (Nvidia's) strategic direction that they (Nvidia) need to sort - otherwise they will never be competitive with ATi on a per mm^2 basis.

I think Nvidia will have the better card this year. Seems one way or another the green team seems to put out a better performing card ( gaming ) on a more regular basis than the red team..... will I buy one...... not sure yet. Don't have a need.

The 4870x2 faster than the 295 or better performing..... I disagree with that personally. Nvidia plays more games better than the red team allowing physics along with it....... yes, Physics does matter. If you think it doesn't you're not being honest with yourself nor are you a dedicated gamer.

Prices..... I think eventually ati will lower it's prices but...1. when it comes time to replace the 5000 series..( old )...2. the low price higher powered cards are a lost thing. Nvidias next card will keep prices up..... will probably be more expensive than ati's 5000 series release therefore ati has no incentive to lower prices. 3. You and I will be caught in another price gauging scheme by both companies if we want anew card.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
In this market you'd better be able to make the cheapest product or the fastest product... and nothing I've read indicates Fermi will be cheap. Soo... it had BETTER be fast for Nvidia's sake.

4745454b

Titan
Come on Jack. If we keep this civil and back things up with links this could be fun. Ill start as I always do, at the beginning.

AMD.

Seeing as they've released most of their line up already 2010 will be mostly quiet from their GPU division. They will release the last of the 5xxx cards around the time Nvidia brings out Fermi. If Fermi is a huge hit we might see the 5890, but I don't believe AMD is planing on making that card. The biggest problem I see for them is a lack of a card at $200. The 5770 is close, but its really a $170 card. The 5850 is the next card up, but is $300. They need a 5830 or a 5790 at $220.

Nvidia.

Fermi will come out, and I believe it will be around march/april like they say. What will be surprising to some is the performance. The top end will be faster then the 5870. It will also be close to the 5970. The high thermals/power draw will prevent it from turning into an X2 card. (they could/will end up using the 448SP card for that however.) As they've already said, they will still use the G92 for the midrange. AMD should sell lots of 57xx cards to people looking for DX11 on the cheap. After that I'm not sure.

Big questions remain. Will Nvidia manage to scale fermi down to the lower ends? Will TSMC manage to keep both companies supplied with cards? Will Intel decide to enter the market once GF does? (ok, thats more like 2011-13.) Will Nvidia's software based Tessellator work as well as AMDs? Interesting times ahead for sure.

Guys, please remember that this is not a race to see how many fanboys can post per page.

You forget that the HD5850 was supposed to be a a $260 card but shortages, supply/demand and no competition to balance it out have inflated the price. My guess is that it WILL be the $200 card. I suspect it will get down toward its release price by the time the new Nvidia cards come out and then if they are at all competitive it will start heading down to $200. There is a big gap between the HD5770 and HD5850 though, something to fill it would be nice.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I think Fermi will be competative power wise, but way out of line price wise. ATI will slash prices on their cards, nvidia will be forced to milk its loyalists with excorbitant pricing to stay afloat. By next christmas we will be getting details (if not leaked benches) of the 6xxx, while Nvidia rebadgeds fermi into the 4xx series on a smaller process. I guess I am not expecting much to change.

Oh and regarding swifty's comment about physics. I was playing a game just earlier and didn't fall through the ground or anything like that, weapons still hit the A.I as well. Physics seems to still work fine with ATi. Are you sure you didn't mean Physx?[/quotemsg]

Dats wut I wuz tryin ta say.....fizziks wid a malcolm on da end....... worrrrrd homey.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

Well actually, the leap from the 7900GTX to the 8800GTX was probably higher, as it was the performance of 2 7900GTX's in SLI.
The leap from the 3870 to 4870 was also quite big, as the 3870 ~ 8800GT, and the GTX 260 was around 2 8800GT's in SLI.

Status
Not open for further replies.