nvidia vs ati

buci

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
personally i'm an nvidia fan and have been for quite some time. i only owned an ati card ONCE and i will NEVER again own another. As far as what's going on with releases, i think it's great for consumers who buy vid-cards every couple of months. Also, being the manager of the most prominent computer store in NE PA(not that that means anything spectacular), nVidia seems to be controlling the market right now w/ATI being the underdog. Very few of my customers will get ATI graphics cards unless swayed that way by one of my guys that's an ATI nut. I have built computers that are hardcore gaming machines and NEVER have any one of those customers requested ATI. Now, this is not to say that ATI is inadequate, because they are not, but more games are optimized for use with nVidia GPU. i believe what eVGA said on the promotional stuff they sent to me which stated "One Day Every GPU In The World Will Be Powered By nVidia, And eVGA Will Be There When It Happens"

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I still don't know what you aim at with this post. At first it sounds very biased, then near the end you try and balance it out so as not to kill what could've been a gr8 post - but the ati vs nvidia debate is sooo old and very streched out, so much that no one actually cares (or at least people who can make up their own opinion).

Informed buyers will buy according to what they need and the rest is caught up with the marketing wagon that sometimes just bullsh*ts people into thinking that they actually buy a good product.

I also don't see why people get so agro and nasty when they talk about product x that's supposed to be better than product y. Maybe they're trying to convince themself with some self reassurance on afore said card?? Who knows....

I could go on about the first Nvidia card I owned and how disgusted I was, but I don't. Because one mistake lead me to the simple notion that what other people say is trivial, and ons should make up one's own conclusion/decision based on your ability to deduct logic from bullsh*t .. Still I don't go out and proclaim that Nvidia is bad, do I know?

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
I don't see much difference between them these days. I bought a Radeon 9500 Pro last time because the choice back then was a no-brainer (FX chips were loud and lacking in DX9 performance), and a Geforce this time because it gave a bit better performance than similar Radeon cards and had SM3.0. I'll happily switch back to ATI for the next computer if they're offering better than nvidia at that point.

cleeve

Illustrious
New card is an X1800 XT, last was a 6800 Ultra.

Both cards were awesome. Nvidia and Ati both ROXXORZ!

You sir, are a salesperson who has swallowed too much PR. You claim Nvidia is better, yet you obviously have never owned a top-end Ati card. So how do you know the difference?

You haters can eat my 3dMarks...

johncastle

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
If Ati did not release the Radeon series you most probably would have fx series as the top product in the market right now(costing 500$).

Competition is good, that makes companies produce the better products with the lower price. I wish there was another competitor in the market.

"One Day Every GPU In The World Will Be Powered By nVidia, And eVGA Will Be There When It Happens"

What a stupid claim :D. By this kind of motivation eVGA will not be going anywhere.

bobbydamm

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2005
The 'choice' Nvidia cards always seem to disappear first and be the hardest to find, while some ATi cards (can u say X800XL) stick to the shelves longer. As I said before, if the 6800 GT PCI-E had been available on a LOCAL store shelf then that would have been my choice.
The X800XL had the 16 pixel pipes and a 256 bit bus and 256mb ram, so I said what the hell, and I'm honestly very satisfied with it now.
Granted some things have been tossed in the ring since last November
when I got the XL, but it's so damn good on screen it would take a hell of a good deal to pull me away from it now.
I have a BFG 6800 OC (agp) in my older machine.
The XL is just a tad faster.

Gamer_369

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
personally i'm an nvidia fan and have been for quite some time.
Then I guess that explains the motivations of this post.

i think it's great for consumers who buy vid-cards every couple of months.
I don't, it's too expensive.

Very few of my customers will get ATI graphics cards unless swayed that way by one of my guys that's an ATI nut.
I don't buy it. Even if it were true, your customers don't really represent the entire GPU market. So just because they might not be purchasing ATI cards doesn't mean everyone else isn't either.

Just like the FX days with nVidia, ATI had a rough ending to 2005. But I think it's evident that they're managing to regain whatever mindshare they lost, especially with the recent launch of their successful x1900 series cards.

ATI is far from out of this war, and will continue to remain a strong contender, imho.

buci

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
personally i'm an nvidia fan and have been for quite some time.
Then I guess that explains the motivations of this post.

i think it's great for consumers who buy vid-cards every couple of months.
I don't, it's too expensive.

Very few of my customers will get ATI graphics cards unless swayed that way by one of my guys that's an ATI nut.
I don't buy it. Even if it were true, your customers don't really represent the entire GPU market. So just because they might not be purchasing ATI cards doesn't mean everyone else isn't either.

Just like the FX days with nVidia, ATI had a rough ending to 2005. But I think it's evident that they're managing to regain whatever mindshare they lost, especially with the recent launch of their successful x1900 series cards.

ATI is far from out of this war, and will continue to remain a strong contender, imho.

never said that they do represent the entire GPU market. all i stated is that generally i see more nvidia customers than ati customers. even my bulk order customers buy more nvidia than ati. personally i dont ati will be much of a competitor to nvidia in the future. especially with nvidia buying uli and making the "bridgeless sli". but PERSONALLY wtf does my personal OPINION matter...it's all subjective anyway and you'd have to be a retard to sit here and argue opinions....

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Simple fact is your opinion spawns alot of unecessary flaming.
I dont see ATI going away anytime soon, even though Nvidia aquired
ULI. --ATI's RV570 is speculated to allow driver compositing. Also, future
realeaes may allow Crossfire without a bridge/dongle.
ATI is also bringing to the table their version of the "SLI Physics" for multi
GPU systems. Its a very competitive market, and if anything, we could use
a couple more companies to create some competition. Of course we'll never seen Matrox put out a truely competitive enthusiast GPU, their driver department is nightmarish.

(I miss 3DFX)

You may personally be seeing more orders for Nvidia products, but figures
are showing the demand for the X1900 series outpacing the 7900 lineup.
Nvidia's also having a small....(keyword small) shortage on the 7900GT's and even the GTX's. Notice how long they sit out of stock on etailers?

Its not that their trying to get rid of the 7800's. Its that 90nm yeilds were much like the R520.....high, but not quite high enough.

buci

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
ATI is also bringing to the table their version of the "SLI Physics" for multi
GPU systems. Its a very competitive market, and if anything, we could use
a couple more companies to create some competition. Of course we'll never seen Matrox put out a truely competitive enthusiast GPU, their driver department is nightmarish.

(I miss 3DFX)

You may personally be seeing more orders for Nvidia products, but figures
are showing the demand for the X1900 series outpacing the 7900 lineup.
Nvidia's also having a small....(keyword small) shortage on the 7900GT's and even the GTX's. Notice how long they sit out of stock on etailers?

Its not that their trying to get rid of the 7800's. Its that 90nm yeilds were much like the R520.....high, but not quite high enough.

I MISS 3DFX TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
well for me its all matter if i can get the best for the buck, i had an MX440 128ram for about 3months cus i bought this old POS pc and im slowly upgrading. i was searching for a new card and i was so confused and it was a choice between ati and nvidia... i personaly and a little bit of an nvidia fan. but that doesnt mean shit to me. if i can get a choice over a x1900 over a 7800 i would take it all the test show! nvidea make good middle end cards but ati just out perform them in the high-end range.
in the end i found a agp 6600 128 ram and i love it. its amazing i dont always need to have everygame on max as long its not an Mx

Sempron 2200+
256ram
40gb hard
Ge6600

a1ien

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
personally i'm an nvidia fan and have been for quite some time. i only owned an ati card ONCE and i will NEVER again own another. As far as what's going on with releases, i think it's great for consumers who buy vid-cards every couple of months. Also, being the manager of the most prominent computer store in NE PA(not that that means anything spectacular), nVidia seems to be controlling the market right now w/ATI being the underdog. Very few of my customers will get ATI graphics cards unless swayed that way by one of my guys that's an ATI nut. I have built computers that are hardcore gaming machines and NEVER have any one of those customers requested ATI. Now, this is not to say that ATI is inadequate, because they are not, but more games are optimized for use with nVidia GPU. i believe what eVGA said on the promotional stuff they sent to me which stated "One Day Every GPU In The World Will Be Powered By nVidia, And eVGA Will Be There When It Happens"

What is your point of this post? It sounds as if you are trying to convince yourself into believe that nVidia is far superior to ATI because you don't fully believe it.... :roll:

While I find this thread pointless, I did want to just mention one thing about dongle-les crossfire.

But the X1300 and X1600 already can do bridgeless Xfire going directly through the PCIe bus to comunicate from the 'slave' to the master. This is the way most people envisionsed ATi's originaly concept as they initially described it, what they obviously found was that the penalty on the then ubiquitous 20-24 lane MoBos was too crowded for good communication between their top end parts and that the small framerate advanatage on even the X850 series would be helpful on the launch of a product that will have much criticism, just like SLi did. I think dongless will still be slower than using a dongle, but the asthetic displeasure of a dongle is something to big for many, versus a variable length SLi bridge that is somewhat more asthetically pleasing (but for me I see as worse because it's 1 more part inside the airflow), once both move to bdrigless methods they will both do better IMO.

And the advent of Havok's HavokFX is just peachy for both companies, especially if you could add an X1600/GF7600 to an X1900/GF7900 and have the X1600/7600 do the physics and the X1900/7900 do the graphics in gaming, and then during your day to day work the X1600/7600 power additional monitor for your nice little array. That's what I'd like to see.

bobbydamm

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2005
Not that this has any relevance to your reply,
but the 7600GT wipes the floor with the X1600XT.
Oh!
I like what I see in these reviews! Almost able to keep up with an X1800, but can definitely keep up with the X1800GTO.
Not bad for a 128 bit.
I'm really likin this card.

bobbydamm

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2005
Not that this has any relevance to your reply,
but the 7600GT wipes the floor with the X1600XT.
Oh!
I like what I see in these reviews! Almost able to keep up with an X1800, but can definitely keep up with the X1800GTO.
Killed the X800XL
Not bad for a 128 bit.
I'm really likin this card.