News Nvidia's Enhanced Anti-Mining GPU Limiter Debuts in Mid-May

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
But why is mining tied to scalping? Like, shoes don't mine crypto but are still scalped. Gamers just want new cards to play games, scalpers scalp stuff people want. I don't think it's completely the cause of mining, I think scalping is just an issue in a lot of spaces.
In other words, what's the incentive for a scalper holding the reduced hashrate card and not scalping it anyways? Why would they sell it cheaper if gamers, the primary consumer of the card ((unless mining is bigger than the PC gaming community?)) are still paying scalper prices just to play games, since the websites selling the cards still don't have systems against bots buying?
It just exacerbates the problem, I think that's the relation: item A is on high demand due to "reasons", then if I scalp it, I get juicy return/profit. And as I said, the "high demand" part went to oblivion due to miners, again, wanting GPUs en-masse.

This is also to say that, gamers are not necessarily the ones paying scalpers the increased prices on the GPUs and it could may as well be miners just doing the math and netting profit even at 10X the price (exageration). I still think most gamers (young people at least) just don't have the spending money to justify buying a card at the current inflated prices unless they are pretty much forced to do so.

Cheers!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I see the limiter as another ID-10-T switch of sorts.
People: argue that they have the right to use the products they bought anyway they want. Entitled to break their gpu(s) how they want, and still get a freebie within the warranty?
Nvidia: counter-argue that they have the right to implement locks/safeguards to reduce the rate of RMAs and protect company investments.
It's the reason the 10 series and on have been voltage locked. It reduced the number of gpu deaths to PEBKAC and saved the company money.
It's all about money in the end.

They designed and released a gaming gpu, and people discovered they happen to be good at mining blockchain.
Nvidia's all like, surprised Pikachu face, "Hold up, we didn't design our cards with that in mind, so we need to get this under control!"
That's why we have - the following in particular - 3080 and 3090 Vram thermal threads going up. The AIBs didn't design their cards with mining in mind either, but some do handle it better than others.

Mining is running the gpus out of spec and going to increase the rate of RMAs, thus costing them more money.

Fact of the matter is, for Nvidia:
-no limits = more returns and money lost.
-limits = fewer returns and money saved.

Because money.

But why is mining tied to scalping? Like, shoes don't mine crypto but are still scalped. Gamers just want new cards to play games, scalpers scalp stuff people want. I don't think it's completely the cause of mining, I think scalping is just an issue in a lot of spaces.
In other words, what's the incentive for a scalper holding the reduced hashrate card and not scalping it anyways? Why would they sell it cheaper if gamers, the primary consumer of the card ((unless mining is bigger than the PC gaming community?)) are still paying scalper prices just to play games, since the websites selling the cards still don't have systems against bots buying?
Because miners won't buy the card. If the bids don't go as high on eBay, they won't sell as high. I'd expect scalping, but eventually you'd end up with lower opening bid prices.

May 4, 2021
It means Scalpers will take all the stock once again and Miners will have to wait for Nvidia's Driver to unlock the mining again
This is just a circus

Reactions: Geezer760

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
It's really baffling how this point is missed by the anti-Nvidia/Intel crowd. If your goal is to only buy from companies that don't prioritize money over you, then you aren't going to be buying from anyone.
Well, eventually we all will buy from someone (company) Nvidia,Intel,AMD etc.. it just depends on what we can afford or the budget we set we can afford to spend it just sucks that at this point in time prices are so outrageous, I'll buy from any of these companies, but I also do not bow to any of them, but in reality their real main goal is MONEY, it's just business, but it also sucks when they try and stick it to the consumer, but I also would never call myself a fanboy of any.

Last edited:

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
It means Scalpers will take all the stock once again and Miners will have to wait for Nvidia's Driver to unlock the mining again
This is just a circus
What if they also play the role of the scalper, they make extra cash, you never know, money makes people/companies commit shady practices, just a thought.

I agree Punkncat that the limiter won't last but I also agree with AtrociKitty in that Nvidia shouldn't be doing this to their cards. Consumers should have the right to use their hardware as they wish. Making some money off your GPU when your not using it to game is a reasonable request. These limiters have less to do with keeping cards out of the hands of miners than pushing thier mining cards on miners. Plus when you take Nvidia's arguemtn fact that the RTX 3090 isn't worth limiting due to the return rate...so what happend with the return rate on 723 USD mining card with a 26mh/s...lets see to hit the 106 MH/s like a RTX 3090 you'd need roughly 4 30HX cards at a cost of 2892. What is the price of an RTX 3090 if you can get it, oh yeah anywhere from 1500 to 2500 dollars. Yeah Nvidia's argument falls apart with some basic math. This is all about their bottom line. But to be fair some of that will depend on the pricing of their higher hash rate cards. If the 220hx is indeed only 3000 USD than Nvidia will be telling the truth. Time will tell how Ngreedia they are or not!

Just buy GPU from company that did not limit their mining performance. Don't like what nvidia do? Then just don't buy their gpu. Just do this and this thing should be non issue for everyone.

Reactions: atomicWAR
Scalpers are the issue, not miners. Not all miners are scalpers, and not all miners have bots buying the cards. The issue should be focused on websites that sell them, not the product. What's the point of nerfing a product, only to sell it thru the same websites where the same bots are gonna buy them all up to scalp regardless?
Mining activity allows scalping activity to continue for a very long time. If there is no mining the demand for gamer will eventually satisfied. Ideally 100 gpu will go to 100 gamer. But for mining farm 100 gpu will go to one farm and they want another 200 for themselves. This bottomless demand cause gamer unable to get theirs and scalper can keep selling and selling at crazy price because not only miner keep buying some of them also wiling to swallow the high price scalpers are charging thinking they will going to make that money back on mining.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Just buy GPU from company that did not limit their mining performance. Don't like what nvidia do? Then just don't buy their gpu. Just do this and this thing should be non issue for everyone.

Completely agree on not using Nvidia in said situation. Currently I am not in the market but if I was, this would certainly be a negative mark in my mental "plus and minus" list I make when getting parts. When ever RDNA 3 and RTX 4000? drop these are things I will be thinking about. For now I guess I am a bit of an arm chair critic until I actually get some skin in the game. Regardless it is disappointing seeing Nvidia take this route.