Nvidia's Kepler to Arrive in 2012

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

There aren't just technical limitations, but economic limitations as well. With this poor economy, the existing cards are not selling as fast and I'll bet they are really holding out so that the stock of existing cards will be sold during Christmas 2011. Businesses squeeze as much as they can out of one tech before rolling out the new one.

c1c2c3c4c

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]new003[/nomMaxwell will be crazy. I mean applications probably won't take advantage of it for a long time right?[/citation]

a good ray tracing program could fill most of the extra processing power, and the rest could be used to add tessellation, true 3d rendering and depth of field...
theres a long list of things that they can improve right away to fill that void.

c1c2c3c4c

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
carbon nano tubes should be used to build gpus, lol they have superconductivity due to quantum tunneling which would mean that there power is only limited by the amount of energy you can supply, and they would have 0% heat generation.... nVidia please get away from silicon its already to small to have a reasonable loss of performance per nm.

ps. sorry if this is already posted but its not showing on my screen

c1c2c3c4c

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
let me clarify, that last statement nano tubes can be superconductors or semiconductors depending on there arrangement and the heat could be generated in the semiconductor state.

CyberAngel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I predict stagnation at about 2020 due to atomic level limitations
Insulator needs to be three atomic layers thick
then
after awhile..the carbon nanotubes will allow for 1/1000 of wattage
and the 3D stacking game begins - a new boost in performance
but that's the limit folks - the future looks bright
but at the end of the tunnel is a mountain wall
unless...
someone invents subatomic particle quarkputers
which operate at zillions of ZetaHertz speed...

c1c2c3c4c

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
@CyberAngel

quantum computers can handle some image data in theory and since 1qbit per second = 1^2bit per second (500bit/s = 250000qbit/s) the resulting speed would be much faster. so there is definatly smaller and faster GPU beyond nano tubes... they just don't resemble todays computers...

supersteeve

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
I know its off topic a bit, but if you guys are trying to talk about a new way to build these cards... why havn't Intel, Amd, and Nvidia try and explore more in Quantum chips. i know the technology is off by a few decades yet. but it cant hurt any. and as of right now the only functioning quantum computer has about 60 sides on a single core. since its only an experimental rig yet can u imagine if it was not buggy. theoretically a chip, you could put 100s of sides on a core. and compute 10x faster than chips with the same amount of cores. yes one flaw would be power use and heating. but if you find a way to make the core be able to you less power. heat drops a lot. then refine the cores itself and you have something that could possibly be built in a computer sooner than u think. the first generations would not need to have some huge amount of sides just 4 in my opinion. and that would double if not triple the speed in itself. but that is just starters. hence binary would be obsolete at this point. which still wont be to far off from being obsolete at this point anyways at the rate we are moving in technology. Binary i personally give it about 10 years tops before everything goes to hexadecimal anyways. and another thing we would end up moving back to sign waves (analog) but instead of multiple ups and/or downs equal a 1/0 you could theoretically multiple spots of which a core can compute as a curtain hexadecimal letter or number. like in hexadecimal. so technically in one up down cycle you could have computer every single hexadecimal unit in half of a wave and the other half do the same thing... then along with that note all you could need is 16 sides on a single core to make such feat possible. and just adding more cores will only reduce the amount of lag it takes to go from side to side and compute the single digit. which i do know this is off topic of specifically graphics cards. but the cores could go from 512 in nvidias' 580 and 15xx in amds' 6970 you could have about 2 cores in itself and compute just as much. and that is including the amount for the ram on the chip. hence we now finally got a computer that will be able to run on hexadecimal without writing a code to make it into a binary number and compute that way. and hence you double if not more the speed of the item is being computed. with just that alone.

so the multiple cores. More than half the time computing hexadecimal is lost. the fact that it could compute two entire hexadecimal sectors in one single up/down pattern the single computer could be 16 times faster with 16 sides on a single core than a quad core right now with the 16 sided cores are . and that is is just the beginning of quantum mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.