Question NVMe freezing PC on BIOS post

Mar 6, 2020
Hello everyone,

I'll try to be as detailed as possible in explaining my issue.
I have upgraded my XPS 7590 from it's factory installed NVMe of 512 GB (Toshiba kxg60znv512g) to a 1TB 970 EvoPlus.

The issue is that my big PC being prevented to move past the bios post comes when installing the Toshiba NVMe that remained from the laptop into the desktop PC as a secondary drive.
The desktop PC has a Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS motherboard with a Ryzen 3600X and a WD Black SN750 NVMe as the main system drive, another 860 Evo as a secondary and a 2TB HDD also as a secondary drive.

The details of the issue is that as long as the Toshiba NVMe si connected to the Asus motherboard the initial BIOS POST freezes and never moves past it.
Now, i know that the motherboard listed above only has one NVMe slot so i purchased a PCIe adapter which worked great with another NVMe i tested on it.

I'll list what i tried to make it work:
  1. Removed Toshiba and changed AHCI to RAID, reinstalled Toshiba and tried again (Nothing changed)
  2. Removed all Drives from the motherboard and installed only the Toshiba NVMe without using the adapter (Still freezes on BIOS post)
Now here's the interesting bit:
I powered up the PC without the Toshiba drive adapter, booted into windows and then placed the PC into sleep mode.
I then installed the PCIe adaptor with the Toshiba drive and brought the computer back from sleep and guess what happened:
Windows was able to recognize and install the Toshiba drive. I was able to delete everything on it, format it, delete partitions, etc.

On reboot, it still won't go past BIOS POST screen, freezes there.

I would also like to add that there is no way to enter the BIOS with the Toshiba NVMe installed.

From all my tests it's clear that the adapter is not the problem here, also i don't see why it would be a compatibility issue if i was able to force it to be used once windows loaded up.

My question is simple:
Has anyone encountered something similar before and does anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this issue?

Thank you all in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums,newcomer!

You don't need to set the storage controller to RAID, unless you have identical drives. Did you wipe the Toshiba drive clean prior to migrating it to the desktop? Also, speaking of desktop, list your desktop specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Check and see which version of BIOS you're working with for your motherboard. Can you parse a link to the drive adapter, you speak of?

Mar 6, 2020
Hello!

The Toshiba kxg60znv512g NVMe came from the laptop and after upgrading the laptop with a higher capacity NVMe i migrated the Toshiba NVMe to the Desktop PC where all of these problems are happening.

Since my problems are only happening on the PC with this drive i will list below the desktop PC specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS, Socket AM4 (latest bios)
Ram: HyperX Fury Black 16GB, DDR4, 3200MHz, CL16, 1.35V (two of them)
SSD/HDD: irelevant, tested only with the problematic Toshiba kxg60znv512g NVMe installed
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 2060 RTX
PSU: Seasonic S12II-520 Bronze, ATX12V, 520W
M2/NVMe PCIe Adaptor: AXAGON Adaptor PCI-Express 3.0 x4 la dual M.2 SSD, Active cooler (Irelevant, inserted Toshiba NVMe directly into the motherboard M.2 slot with no other drives connected and problem was still present

Let me clarify again, Asus TUF motherboard is on the latest bios and i've listed a test with the Toshiba NVMe above where no drives were present except the Toshiba one just to make sure there are no compatibility issues or configuration mistakes working together with other drives

Looking forward to feedback if possible!

Mar 6, 2020
Kenethew, i have not found any kind of solution to this and since given up.

In the meantime i gave the the NVMe to a friend which has used it as his primary OS drive and works fine for him on an MSI motherboard.