Question Nvme m.2 gen 4 in gen 5 slot

Apr 5, 2023
Gen 5 is my main m.2 slot but should i put in the gen 4 slot because my 1tb is gen 4 as well? Or would it not make a difference.

Solution
It's not going to hurt the 4 gen drive to put it in a gen 5 port.

Not sure how many drives you have, how many M.2 ports you have, what motherboard you have or the specifications of the M.2 ports, but........................if you are highly concerned, you can certainly do your own trial and error comparisons with real work loads to see if there are differences.

If you are driven by benchmarks, that may affect your decisions, even if you can't tell the difference in actual use. That would be a very common reaction. Benchmark envy.
Apr 5, 2023
Ok but i will get my gen 4 m.2 speeds in the gen 5 slot though right? And that it was ok to put it in there knowing it wouldnt speed it up? Just wondered if it wasted resources or lanes.

It's not going to hurt the 4 gen drive to put it in a gen 5 port.

Not sure how many drives you have, how many M.2 ports you have, what motherboard you have or the specifications of the M.2 ports, but........................if you are highly concerned, you can certainly do your own trial and error comparisons with real work loads to see if there are differences.

If you are driven by benchmarks, that may affect your decisions, even if you can't tell the difference in actual use. That would be a very common reaction. Benchmark envy.

Reactions: Yupperzzzzz
Solution
Apr 5, 2023
Ok well i took the plastic cover off the gen 5 pads would you take thermal pad plastic covers off if the slot is left unused? It says remove before use. Use of port? or motherboard? Lol

D

Deleted member 2838871

Ok well i took the plastic cover off the gen 5 pads would you take thermal pad plastic covers off if the slot is left unused? It says remove before use. Use of port? or motherboard? Lol

If you don't have a m.2 drive in the slot you don't have to remove the film from the thermal pads.

Reactions: Yupperzzzzz