[SOLVED] NVME SSD as a boot drive on asus z97-p motherboard

Dec 13, 2014
Hello,

I am planning to buy kingston a400 m.2 ssd and I have asus z97-p mobo, I keep hearing that my motherboard won't be able to support the ssd as a boot drive so I need advice with it as I intend to use it as a boot drive. My bios is updated.

Thanks

Solution
This might be one of the rare cases where the board supports PCIe drives but not NVMe (only AHCI). You can tell by the support list. Some PCIe drives would work, for example the 950 Pro (with OPROM) or AHCI variants of XP941/SM951. NVMe drives would require a BIOS mod (if possible) or the Clover EFI workaround. Also, of course, M.2 SATA drives would work - the Kingston A400 is M.2 SATA, not NVMe.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello,

I am planning to buy kingston a400 m.2 ssd and I have asus z97-p mobo, I keep hearing that my motherboard won't be able to support the ssd as a boot drive so I need advice with it as I intend to use it as a boot drive. My bios is updated.

Thanks
https://www.kingston.com/us/ssd/a400-solid-state-drive
Being an M.2 imparts zero performance benefit over a standard 2.5" SATA III drive.
Which WILL work natively on your motherboard.

It is the same drive, just in a different package.

As far as booting from a drive in that port...almost no drives of that vintage had that capability.
Only with a subsequent BIOS update might that have been possible.

Looking through all the BIOS updates, I see no mention of that capability being added.

This might be one of the rare cases where the board supports PCIe drives but not NVMe (only AHCI). You can tell by the support list. Some PCIe drives would work, for example the 950 Pro (with OPROM) or AHCI variants of XP941/SM951. NVMe drives would require a BIOS mod (if possible) or the Clover EFI workaround. Also, of course, M.2 SATA drives would work - the Kingston A400 is M.2 SATA, not NVMe.

Solution