[SOLVED] NVME SSD not showing up!! BIOS up to date

Mar 2, 2021
Hi all,
My old SSD (Toshiba KBG30ZMS128G) suddenly died (got blue screen, when I went to reinstall windows, the windows couldn't find the SSD anymore).

I just went and bought the WD black SN 750 to plug in to my computer, but the new SSD isn't showing up anywhere. BIOS shows {none} plugged into the M.2 Slot.

I've tried disconnecting the HDD when reinstalling windows based on this thread:
using a flash drive, but the installer showed that there was no drives available to install windows on. THe only step I wasn't able to follow was:
"Click on the secure boot option below and make sure it is set to another OS, not windows UEFI." Since my dell PC didn't have those options under secure boot.

It doesnt show in device manager either.

I've tried the methods in other threads, SATA operation set to AHCI, secure boot off (apparently this is CSM on dell computers).
The SN750 doesnt appear to come with any drivers - I installed their SSD dashboard but it wasn't able to find my plugged in SSD either.
I'm not sure what else I can do. I've just updated the BIOS but it didnt help. There's nothing in disk management either.

The old SSD is also nvme so it shouldn't be a problem.
My PC is an Inspiron 3670 and the motherboard is 0H4VK7, windows 10.

Last edited:
Solution
Have you reset cmos.

Pull the plug. Push power button for 10 seconds. Install nvme. Use a screwdriver/paperclip to short the cmos reset pins. Plug back in and it should detect the drive as a hardware change and offer bios settings/OS option. Take bios, make any changes to xmp etc, save/exit.
Hi all,
My old SSD (Toshiba KBG30ZMS128G) suddenly died (got blue screen, when I went to reinstall windows, the windows couldn't find the SSD anymore).
I just went and bought the WD black SN 750 to plug in to my computer, but the new SSD isn't showing up anywhere. BIOS shows {none} plugged into the M.2 Slot. I've tried disconnecting the HDD, but it still isn't able to find the SSD. It doesnt show in device manager either.

I've tried the methods in other threads, SATA operation set to AHCI, secure boot off (apparently this is CSM on dell computers).
The SN750 doesnt appear to come with any drivers - I installed their SSD software but it wasn't able to find my plugged in SSD either.
I'm not sure what else I can do. I've just updated the BIOS but it didnt help.

The old SSD is also nvme so it shouldn't be a problem.
My PC is an Inspiron 3670 and the motherboard is 0H4VK7.
Does the old ssd show in the bios?
Is the m.2 slot enabled in the bios?

Mar 2, 2021
Yes, the slot is enabled.
The old SSD came with the PC and was working for 2.5 years before the sudden BSOD, then afterwards it was no longer in the BIOS ( I assumed that the SSD died)

Mar 2, 2021
I took it to the shop this morning and had them test both the new and old SSD, and both were detected by BIOS.
Is the only option to replace the motherboard now? I was told that since its a premade board on a dell, they can't just replace the m2 pcie slot. My friend wants to try soldiering if off and soldering on a new one though.

I took it to the shop this morning and had them test both the new and old SSD, and both were detected by BIOS.
Is the only option to replace the motherboard now? I was told that since its a premade board on a dell, they can't just replace the m2 pcie slot. My friend wants to try soldiering if off and soldering on a new one though.
I suppose you have nothing to lose by letting your friend have a go at it.
You might want to start shopping for a new mobo.

You have space for three 2.5 sata ssd's......would that work?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Have you reset cmos.

Pull the plug. Push power button for 10 seconds. Install nvme. Use a screwdriver/paperclip to short the cmos reset pins. Plug back in and it should detect the drive as a hardware change and offer bios settings/OS option. Take bios, make any changes to xmp etc, save/exit.

Solution
Apr 14, 2021
Hi Ruisen2000,

This is an older post so I hope you figured out the issue by now however I went through a very similar issues as you did. I have windows 10 and installed my ssd and could see it on bios/device manager but NOT on Disk management. I went through reinstalling drivers using diskpart ect. but nothing seemed to work.

The way I finally solved this issue was by using the control panel and going to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Storage Spaces. For whatever reason windows 10 had created a Pool/Storage space with my new SSD and this made it so I was unable to partition it in diskpart or disk management. After I deleted the Pool/Storage space for my m.2 SSD I was able to see the SSD in disk management and partition the new M.2 SSD.

Hope you already figured this out but it took me forever to find this solution online so posting in case it helps anyone else!

Best,

Shark