[SOLVED] NVMe too hot?

Subatago

Prominent
Mar 15, 2019
Hi,

I just bought a Samsung 870 EVO Plus and noticed it runs rather hot. According to spec it should run at 0-70°C.

After benchmarking this is what HWinfo reports:
Annotation-2020-10-24-211605.png

I don't know why there are 2 temperatures, but temperature 2 his 79°C (Benchmark was 3.5GB/s, no throttling).

The drive is also right under the PCIe slot (under the GPU)

Is this normal or is there an issue here?

Solution
Its normal, although running it under the gpu might heat it up a little more. I'd pay more attention to the average temps under load, as those are the most important. The thing is that its very rare in real life a time when you are constantly stressing your ssd, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Its normal, although running it under the gpu might heat it up a little more. I'd pay more attention to the average temps under load, as those are the most important. The thing is that its very rare in real life a time when you are constantly stressing your ssd, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Solution

Subatago

Prominent
Mar 15, 2019

I can move it to the second slot (which is under the 2nd PCIe slot), which is the PCH slot. Not sure if that'll effect the performance?

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
I can move it to the second slot (which is under the 2nd PCIe slot), which is the PCH slot. Not sure if that'll effect the performance?

What chipset motherboard do you have? Most motherboards should have an m.2 slot above the graphics card slot, I would recommend placing it there. Again, the thermals are normal, however, so it is fine to leave it where it is.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There are 2 temperature readings because one is the NAND flash and the other is the Phoenix controller. The latter actually runs better warm, it's kinda in the name.
Problem is, hwinfo doesn't tell you which is which...

What does Samsung's Magician software tell you regarding thermals? That would, IMO, be more useful than hwinfo here; I also use it.

Subatago

Prominent
Mar 15, 2019
There are 2 temperature readings because one is the NAND flash and the other is the Phoenix controller. The latter actually runs better warm, it's kinda in the name.
Problem is, hwinfo doesn't tell you which is which...

What does Samsung's Magician software tell you regarding thermals? That would, IMO, be more useful than hwinfo here; I also use it.
Annotation-2020-10-24-212557.png

Guess the 2nd one is the controller in this case. So the 1st temperature is the one to stay under 70°C i suppose?