Question NVMe Upgrade and clone tool

Mar 16, 2021
Hi
I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro R50-C-12N (PS562E-08x024OB) with a NVMe 128G MZNLF128HCHP-0000

I'd like to upgrade the internal SSD drive to 256 or 500G (not sure if the laptop is capable in first place) and I'd like to know what part would you recommend and also what tool to use to clone the existing drive.

I've attempted it so far with both items stated below using “Macrium Reflect” to clone but no luck so far, when the ssd is cloned and replaced the laptop doesn’t recognize the new drive, also checked it in the bios and it doesn’t see the new ssd either.
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB PCIe NVMe M.2
Crucial P2 CT500P2SSD8 500 GB

Any advice would be appreciated

Many thanks in advance

Mar 16, 2021
Mar 16, 2021
Hi,

Not until now, just downloaded it and installed it.
It doesn't recognise the source drive but not the target one, do you think it may be the adapter?

Using explorer I can see the new drive.

Thanks

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro R50-C-12N (PS562E-08x024OB) with a NVMe 128G MZNLF128HCHP-0000
That is sata drive.
If nvme drives are not being detected, then most likely only sata drives are supported (and nvme are not).
Look for sata M.2 drive like Samsung 860 evo, Crucial MX500.

BTW dynabook support page mentions only sata M.2 drive support. Nothing about nvme drives.

Mar 16, 2021
Oh I see!!, thanks both your comments.
I've checked the M2 SATA SSD (like the Samsung 860) and the actual connector look different.
Did I quick search online and it suggest that both formats are compatible (SATA M+B key and NMVe M Key)

https://superuser.com/questions/1303299/can-you-connect-an-m-2-sata-to-an-m-2-nvme-port

I'll order a SATA drive and I'll give it a go, also noticed that the usb adapter is not SATA compatible so I'll also need to be changed it.

Many thanks for the good support.

Regards

I've checked the M2 SATA SSD (like the Samsung 860) and the actual connector look different.
Did I quick search online and it suggest that both formats are compatible (SATA M+B key and NMVe M Key)
Connector may be compatible, but that doesn't mean both sata and nvme drives will be compatible with your system.
System has to support them too. Connection without support will not work.

TRENDING THREADS