NZXT Kraken G10 + Corsair H55 - Unsatisfactory Temperatures

Promisek3u

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
I recently purchased the NZXT Kraken G10 + Corsair H55 and I'm still reaching 80 degrees Celsius when I benchmark using MSI Kombustor. Could it be the positioning of the radiator?

http://i.imgur.com/V9M28uY.png Here is a picture of my setup.

If you're wondering why I put the radiator on top like that, it's because the tubes for the H55 can't reach the front of my case.

Additional Parameters:
Corsair SP120 Attached to Corsair H55 - 775 RPM
Corsair AF140 Exhaust - 600 RPM
Corsair SP120 Attached to Xigmatek Dark Knight - 775 RPM
2x Corsair AF140 Intake - 400 RPM

Solution

I'm thinking of underclocking it because I play World of Warcraft and I don't need to use my GPU as much, in comparison to my CPU. Do you recommend any software(s) for underclocking?

I also suspect that GPU Boost 2.0 is doing some 'wacky stuff' because when playing the game, I will reach a GPU Core Clock of around 1170 (according to GPU-Z) and a GPU Memory Clock of around 1750. This is probably raising my temperatures considerably. I'm sitting at around 60 degrees Celsius when playing WoW. With the...

Promisek3u

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

I am using the EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2771-KR GeForce GTX 770 2GB. I haven't touched any overclocking, so I assume it's just set at the boost clock.

Rammy

Honorable
You should probably have your H55 set up as an exhaust, either at the rear or top (probably doesn't matter much) though you'll probably get the best results if it's in a different place to where the CPU is exhausting (so, if it works best at the rear then it's probably best to align your CPU cooler pointing upwards and visa versa)

Also, those fan speeds are very low, so they aren't going to be pushing huge amounts of air. Depending on which SP120 version you have, they are capable of up to 2350rpm, so you should be easily able to extract more performance here.

Demorthus

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
If you're benchmarking that's normal, but too hot. For a GPU 70-75C is toasty, above that isn't recommended. Although I have to admit, even for me that seems odd and absurdly hot, try and check the thermal paste on the card is applied correctly and the heat sink of the water cooler is making complete contact... I use a 780 and I never hit above 77C... and that's aircooled.

Promisek3u

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

The reason why I wouldn't want to set up the H55 as an exhaust is because the hot air from my CPU would blow directly into the radiator. I also don't think I can re-position my CPU heatsink to exhaust upwards because it's locked in a sideways position.

The Corsair SP120s I have have a maximum of 1400 RPM, so I am running them at ~50%. How much higher do you think I ought to make them? As of now, I can only barely hear my computer running through my headset. I've tested it and at around 975 RPM I can noticeably hear my fans, even through my headset (it goes around my ears too).

Demorthus

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
You're going to have to put them to 60%-75% if you don't want it to sound that bad, aside from that try push/pull or underclock that puppy because it's too hot for benchmarking. (Although games never really get it that hot either)

Promisek3u

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

I am using the Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste and I'm quite certain my water cooler's heatsink is firmly attached. I reach lows of 32 degrees celsius at idle, but once I start benchmarking I will eventually reach 80.

Rammy

Honorable
50% is probably fine if you aren't pushing the card very hard, but if it can't dynamically respond under load then it's very understandable why you have high temps - especially if you aren't exhausting the hot air.

I'd try them at 100% and see how much of a difference it makes (again, with the fan as an exhaust). From there it should be fairly easy to see if you have an issue with your setup (poorly seated heatsink etc) or if it's just that you are trying to run a high load with a very low cooling solution.

The whole advantage (or a lot) of the G10 is that you "move" the heat to a more beneficial location rather than bounce it around the case. If you can't exploit that characteristic then it's likely your results will be disappointing.

Promisek3u

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

I'm thinking of underclocking it because I play World of Warcraft and I don't need to use my GPU as much, in comparison to my CPU. Do you recommend any software(s) for underclocking?

I also suspect that GPU Boost 2.0 is doing some 'wacky stuff' because when playing the game, I will reach a GPU Core Clock of around 1170 (according to GPU-Z) and a GPU Memory Clock of around 1750. This is probably raising my temperatures considerably. I'm sitting at around 60 degrees Celsius when playing WoW. With the stock cooler I would reach 70-72.

Solution

Demorthus

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014

Yes, MSI Afterburner (alot of control) or EVGA Precision (simple GUI)

Promisek3u

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Is the rear exhaust fan insufficient in expelling heat from my case?

Promisek3u

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Thanks a lot for your help! :)

Promisek3u

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

I just tried ramping up the fan to 100% (1450 RPM) and after benchmarking with MSI Kombustor for 100 seconds, I reached a max of 71 degrees Celsius. I still think that's a bit high..

dossboss

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
I have same card with H55, temps doesn't reach 60, and the ambient temp is about 30 degrees.
First, have you removed the plate covering the vrams? if not the pump is not with full contact with the card, u have to remove it or get a copper shim, if yes, I would recommend reapplying thermal paste.
second, make sure that your pump and fans get 100% power if you have load, (by mother board fan control programs or so).
Third review the corsair guide of placing the pump and rads for better results.

good luck

americaneagl

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
I had a very similar setup! Last night, I ended up going back to the stock fans that came with the GTX770. The issue I had with the G10 and H55; it appeared that anti-aliasing was not working, jaggies came out after a few minutes of GPU use despite the GPU temps below 70. I had the radiator getting air as intake, exhaust up top. I also did not remove the VRAM plate as it appeared to make sufficient contact between the pump and gpu with it on. I may revisit this setup and play around with the fan speeds and/or make the radiator fan become an exhaust. I was also using Noctua fans, may need to go with the SP120 or broader fan...

Cawton Mentor

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014
As per your drawing, that top fan should be expelling the heat not sucking it in
you are fighting heat rising and positive air pressure to try and suck air in through the top. Giving you high temperatures

Cameron Skinner

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
For Starter, Using MSI Kombuster should be a big no no, That software is pushing you card harder than anything you normally do ever will, its also been known to kill cards. that would be one cause of high temps, check to make sure the cooler is seated properly because it sais hand tighten but i have to use a screw driver to tighten mine properly to make sure it was seated so your could be the same,

Hope this helps Dude,

Cameron

jcardoso

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
Hi Promisek3u,

I had the same problem after installing G10 Kraken in my R9 290. When playing BF4 the temperature increase over 90 degrees celsius. I tried to change the radiator cooler positioning and nothing worked. I decided to check the contact of the watercooler in gpu, then I realized there was a millimeter gap between the pump copper plate and the GPU. Readjusted the pump screws so that there is full contact between the pump and GPU without any gap. When I turn on the PC the temperature was in 33 degrees celsius and when I play BF4 the temperature did not exceed 63 degrees celsius.
I hope this can help others as well.

Mule__

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
i have this same problem with the mounting screws even tightened down as much as possible by hand. The cooler looks like its touching the dye. it levels out around 70 degrees celsius, when i remove the cooler the thermal paste looks like more on one half of the cooler and i did the pea method. Ive taken it off several times and redone it being as careful as possible but it always gets way too hot............