[SOLVED] Obnoxious buzzing sound from HDD

Lytatroan

Commendable
Jan 21, 2021
Hey guys, title says it all. Basically, my HDD is making annoying buzzing sounds every once in a while. Adding pressure to the front panel, exhaust port, and side panels stops the buzzing. Here's a video showing the sound. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eQ9LKeOrtCiXKcmwG1Z1JkNZe6pNiwpC/view

It's very obnoxious, and happens all the time. I heard from a Youtube video that you can remove the buzzing by using a rubber band to stop the buzzing by putting it around the caddy. My case is the Cooler Master MB500. Here's the video, it uses a Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 but they are similar enough for this to work.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeNEK3W9fRc&t=186s

Any help is appreciated, and I wish to not spend any money to fix this.

Lytatroan

Commendable
Jan 21, 2021
That suggests something isn't mounted securely.
Check all the screws, for everything.
It may not be the drive at all.
I have a toolless caddy for my hard drive. I guess I also need to organize some of my cables, it is quite messy in the back

OOPS! Forgot to mention that adding pressure to the HDD also stops it.

Lytatroan

Commendable
Jan 21, 2021
All I know are the cables in the back are PSU cables, RGB cables, and fan cables, and 1 SATA power and 1 SATA data cables. Not sure what can vibrate there, so I assume its my HDD.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Check rivets/screws that hold the tooless caddy to the case, the case frame, etc. Prime suspect. Putting pressure on the hdd will naturally stop the noise since you just supplied shock absorbers - your fingers. Pushing the case etc will stop the noise because you are physically changing the pressure on the frame, either opening the gap or closing the gap to where things don't vibrate.

Stop trying to apply band-aid work-arounds, fix the cause of the problem, not the results.

Lytatroan

Commendable
Jan 21, 2021
Check rivets/screws that hold the tooless caddy to the case, the case frame, etc. Prime suspect. Putting pressure on the hdd will naturally stop the noise since you just supplied shock absorbers - your fingers. Pushing the case etc will stop the noise because you are physically changing the pressure on the frame, either opening the gap or closing the gap to where things don't vibrate.

Stop trying to apply band-aid work-arounds, fix the cause of the problem, not the results.
Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna see if I can tighten any loose rivets and screws AND attempt the rubber band fix.