[SOLVED] OC my Ryzen 5 3600x makes my ram to fail

Jul 28, 2020
Hi, i tried to OC my ryzen 5 3600x to 4,250 Ghz, but when i restart my pc, i get ram fail under startup, what are im doing wrong? do i have to adjust my ram setting
I have Asus rog strix b550 f gaming, with amd ryzen 5 3600x and hyper fury 3200 ddr4 ram.

Solution
The SVI2/TFN value will change depending on the load. That's where Prime 95 Small FFT comes in.
I've read that when using hwinfo, the min, max, and average values should be ignored; it's what the Current value settles on.
Yes it does move around a lot on mine and I suppose it can do so differently depending on how motherboard VRM design works too. It's the true core voltage being reported by the processor so it also showing the effects of the the load line which is even more important to know when using a fixed voltage. In auto it's also showing the effects of the algorithm; hence the moving around is even more pronounced.

I wouldn't suggest completely ignoring min/max nor average. Max value is particularly important since...
Good CPU-centric overclocking technique is to reset RAM to default clock speeds with no XMP settings. That would probably be a clock speed of about 2400Mhz. Then overclock the processor and test for stability. Once it's adequately stable then start to overclock and stabilize RAM.

In the end, Ryzen 3000 doesn't all-core overclock very well. Especially a 3600X you're better off using PBO as it will not stress the processor with high fixed VCore voltages, leading to early degradation. It will also provide good performance for lightly threaded workloads as well as highly threaded. Gaming benefits more from lightly threaded performance.

Ryzen does, however, benefit greatly in all scenarios from higher RAM clock speed so don't compromise that to get higher CPU clock speed.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Hi, i tried to OC my ryzen 5 3600x to 4,250 Ghz, but when i restart my pc, i get ram fail under startup, what are im doing wrong? do i have to adjust my ram setting
I have Asus rog strix b550 f gaming, with amd ryzen 5 3600x and hyper fury 3200 ddr4 ram.

I use the Ryzen 3600X. i can give you the settings that worked for me. I run mine at 4.250ghz with a voltage of 1.4V. I enabled the Xamp profile on my motherboard. but you may need to manually adjust the volts just a little higher for the Ram to work

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Ferimer
I totally forgot to mention that the tradeoff gets worse the higher up the product stack you go.
About a month or 2 ago, the OP in one thread OC'ed their 3950X to 4.3ghz. Neat, right?
Until I looked up the specs and saw the single thread boost clock: 4.7ghz...
That person had thrown away 400mhz for 100 - maybe 200mhz, multi thread performance.

Manual OC is poop on Ryzen 3000, and is the inferior method VS getting a big cooler and getting 3600mhz ram and tightening the timings. There's no risk with current degradation on the latter method either!

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Ferimer

Distinguished
@Ferimer
That thread you linked is talking about AUTO voltage settings, which swings to 1.4v, etc, is fine.
THIS is about MANUAL voltage settings, which leaving the cpu running at such Vcore values regardless of load is NOT fine.
You did read all of that right? Majority of the posters ran their CPU's at 100% load and saw temps exceeding 70 degrees which is why they degraded. here is a quote "So i ran 1.287v 4.125ghz with load temps ~85C for roughly 2 months".. another one "The system was used for 3d animation in blender by my wife so it saw a pretty hard life. I forgot to mention temps, they were around 70C since the chip had a NH-D15 on it"... Unless the OP in this case is doing that then they shouldn't have a problem

Ferimer

Distinguished
PLus this quote from the person that did the testing shows that his temps ran higher than 95. which is higher than what any normal person gaming would do. "It had quite a rough life, as it went through the Fmax & Pmax testing and sometimes exceeded Tjmax (95°C) at the same time because of that.It never exceeded ~ 1.33V in high current conditions, however the workloads definitely were the worst-case possible"

NOt to mention Ryzen has stated that 1.4V max down is perfectly fine and normal for 3000 series chipsets
Actually, AMD has stated it will hit up to 1.5V (your reference) but that's when boosting a SINGLE CORE in LIGHT BURSTY workloads. But not using a fixed VCore. They processor must be allowed to throttle back by lowering VCore according to FIT to as low as 1.2V when temps get hot under heavy all-core workloads.

And besides, this does nothing to help OP with his stated problem of RAM failing at startup.

Last edited:
Better using c state overclocking if you really must overclock (and your bios allows), it at least allows powersaving voltage and clock reductions to kick in at lower cpu load outs.

As said, pointless overclocking a ryzen 3000 series cpu apart from for bragging rights.

You bought 3200 speed ram and expect it to run at 4250???
Ram is binned and the chips capable of higher speeds are used in faster speed ram to be sold at a higher price.
Sometimes you get lucky and can safely exceed the specs, but do not count on it.
If you wanted 4250, you should have bought 4250 speed ram in the first place.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
As stated above you have a ways to go for TJMAX. As for your RAM don't use DOCP instead configure the RAM manually by inputting in speed and voltage and the memory timings for each channel. Good Luck 🤦‍♀️

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Ferimer
Why so selective with your counter arguments?
Chip degradation happens when high voltage meets high current causing electro-migration amongst other things - not just heat.
The cpu handles the above on it's own when Vcore settings are left to auto. On manual, it stops doing that, and now, the user has to 'pamper' it - keeping current low by lowering voltage as much as they can.

These cpus are already pushed close to their limits already, and people want to push them further than is reasonable? The cpu needs to be allowed to throttle, and people want to take that away too?
Geez, folks that get that hung up on it should've gone Intel...

@geofelt
Pretty sure you misread the OP's post...

For Ryzen 3000? I thought that only helped with Ryzen 1000 CPU's.

You are right, just been reading up.
Does work with ryzen 2*** cpu's too though.

I'm seeing some results where undervolting (if your cpu allows it) actually increases maximum all core pbo speed because there is more voltage and thermal headroom to allow for it.

I'm going to stop out of this one because I need to catch up somewhat on the eccentricities of ryzen 3***, christ the gen 1 chips were finicky enough!

Ferimer

Distinguished
@Ferimer
Why so selective with your counter arguments?
Chip degradation happens when high voltage meets high current causing electro-migration amongst other things - not just heat.
The cpu handles the above on it's own when Vcore settings are left to auto. On manual, it stops doing that, and now, the user has to 'pamper' it - keeping current low by lowering voltage as much as they can.

These cpus are already pushed close to their limits already, and people want to push them further than is reasonable? The cpu needs to be allowed to throttle, and people want to take that away too?
Geez, folks that get that hung up on it should've gone Intel...

@geofelt
Pretty sure you misread the OP's post...
I wasn't selective. I read what you posted and those are the quotes from other people that experienced their own issues. Its all there in the link you posted. feel free to double check.

Jul 28, 2020
Have you figured this out yet?

Hi folks, yes, i think i got it, i now run at 4.375 ghz at 1.36v , in ryzen master i got full pot on every core and same in Cpu Z. Temp is on 64 degree under heavy load. I use Nzxt Kraken z63 280 cpu cooler. I works fine for soo long. :) I can post a screenshot :)