Question Oculus Quest 2 - Do I need wifi 6? what would be enough for use without the link cable?

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
Hi all

I'm looking to buy an Oculus Quest 2 and I'd like to use it over wifi instead of the link cable.
I have a standard router from Sky broadband in the UK.
I think that does 100mbps via ethernet.

Got 2 problems.. I think my router isn't fast enough in general and I connect to my PC via powerline as the living room is far from the PC.

I was thinking of buying a Wifi6 access point to connect via the spare ethernet cable from the powerline and broadcast wifi6 speeds through it.
But I'm thinking now that this won't be enough anyway as the router can only do 100mbps..

So do I need a better router in general?

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Speed shouldn't matter, just consistency. You may want to move your router closer, or you can just get an extension. Just to clarify, you are talking about using sideloaded Virtual Desktop for PC VR, right? You don't need Link for regular Quest VR.

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
Speed shouldn't matter, just consistency. You may want to move your router closer, or you can just get an extension. Just to clarify, you are talking about using sideloaded Virtual Desktop for PC VR, right? You don't need Link for regular Quest VR.

Yeah talking about Virtual Desktop for PC.
Moving the router is not an option I can't do that, nor moving the PC.
The way I see it I got 2 options.

1. Buy a new router that's more powerful although it'll still be 2 rooms and 1 floor away.
  2. Buy an access point to connect to the powerline that's in the same room as the PC

Which one do you think would have better consistency? I think maybe 2?
So are we saying 100mbps is enough for the Oculus Quest 2?

If I'm missing something so my questions come out stupid please let me know!

Thanks