[SOLVED] Oculus Quest vs Windows Mixed Reality Headset

Hoetan

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017
I'm looking to buy a VR headset with my special requirements in mind. As I have limited room space (1.5m x 3m) and would not be able to set up external sensors that headsets like the Vive require, I'm stuck between choosing an Oculus Quest or Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) VR Headset.

Please note I also live in Australia, so I do not have access to buy headsets like the Valve Index.

I love how the Oculus Quest is completely wireless, and lets you play games without requiring a PC, but I would also like to be able to get games like Fallout 4 VR on Steam and play it on the Oculus Quest. I've heard this is a bit troubling and sometimes a bit broken with some streaming options introducing issues like stutters. In Australia, I can get this headset for $630 AUD (for 64GB version).

On the other hand, the WMR is like the Oculus Quest in terms of not requiring outside sensors and just uses the sensors on the headset itself, but it can plug into the PC and play SteamVR games. However, I lose those in-built games the Quest has but I can guarantee I can play SteamVR games. However, these headsets are $700+ AUD.

As a casual fast food worker, I don't make A LOT of money, so I need to be extremely sure of what I want before I go and buy it. If anyone can help give some advice, it'd be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: I should mention I always wear glasses, so it is a massive plus if the headset is comfortable for people who wear them!

Last edited:
Solution
Have you considered a Rift S? It's about the same price as the Quest and has a very similar tracking design. Rift S allows you to move the lenses away from your face to accomodate glasses but be warned, using glasses with VR headsets has the possibility of scratching the lenses. Might be worth looking into lens protectors or prescription lens adapters.

audie-tron25

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
Have you considered a Rift S? It's about the same price as the Quest and has a very similar tracking design. Rift S allows you to move the lenses away from your face to accomodate glasses but be warned, using glasses with VR headsets has the possibility of scratching the lenses. Might be worth looking into lens protectors or prescription lens adapters.

Solution

Karl1000

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016
If you need prescription lenses you can improve with lens inserts. I use inserts from vroptician.com and i am total happy. Best upgrade for my VR Headset!

Oct 3, 2019
I own an Acer WMR headset and I would never buy another... The controllers are trash (touchpad doesnt work 80% of the time, triggers squeak A LOT) and the tracking for them is bad to where you cannot throw objects in VR (Budget cuts is a nightmare), also aiming down sights loses tracking on your dominant hand which makes shooters irritating, build quality is bad... Hmm lets see what else, I've spent more time troubleshooting problems with the headset itself than I have in VR and I've played probably over 100 VR hours. It doesn't have physical IPD adjustment (I get eye strain quickly no matter the software IPD adjustment. I could go on but you get the point...

If you only play racing games, its a good headset.