OCZ Sporting USB 3.0 External SSD at CES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onyx2291

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
I'm not sure how fast USB 3.0 is since I haven't looked that much into it, but would can it really make use of the speed of the SSD? As my external hard drives right now only go at 10-17 mb/s.

wira020

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Onyx2291[/nom]I'm not sure how fast USB 3.0 is since I haven't looked that much into it, but would can it really make use of the speed of the SSD? As my external hard drives right now only go at 10-17 mb/s.[/citation]

USB3.0 is supposed to be 10x the speed of USB2.0 theoretically... and no, it's not really a good idea to me actually... given the cost/storage size of current ssd lines.. i'd say we're better just stick with thumbdrives as it is cheaper and growing in sizes... and if speed matters, a normal HDD would also benefit from the USB3.0 connector as USB2.0 was the main limiting factor...

simply put, i think this is just one of things that makes other people feel better of themselves feeding off other's envy....

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Onyx2291[/nom]As my external hard drives right now only go at 10-17 mb/s.[/citation]
That might be your drive...I have an external drive and it copies at about 30-40mb/s

krazyderek

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
i still say 3.5" SSD are a waste of time, there is zero economy in SSD right now so all you're doing is producing something that's isn't as usefull as a 2.5" SDD in terms of notebook and desktop swappable boot drives.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]krazyderek[/nom]i still say 3.5" SSD are a waste of time, there is zero economy in SSD right now so all you're doing is producing something that's isn't as usefull as a 2.5" SDD in terms of notebook and desktop swappable boot drives.[/citation]
Really?
I want a 80GB X18-m, and yes, I'd likely put it in my desktop. Though it'd soon enough go into a laptop...
These big drives are expensive...
I think either a 64GB flash drive or a 80GB 1.8" SDD would do it for me.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I would say that USB 3 is worth it over USB 2. It definetly needed to be replaced sooner than it has been. However at least eSATA has gotten more popular so at least I am not stuck at running my external drives at slower speeds. Annoying when you are trying to do backups.

G

Well USB 3.0...Well all of us been using usb 2.0...so releasing usb 3.0 is better...and most of us will take it for granted...yes we'll complain now...but as soon as it hit the shelves...everybody will just be using it...and nobody we'll complain...until they release usb 4.0...XD

Status
Not open for further replies.