OEM Systems (esp DELL)

G

We use a lot of Dells where I work. It's a corporate standard, decided by purchasing :)

Here are a few things I've noticed about Dell:

Dell uses a large number of Intel motherboards with a Dell customized BIOS that locks you out of everything.

Dell slightly under clocks the processor for stability (my 800Mhz system that should have a clock speed of 799MHz, registers an internal clock of 797Mhz in every cpu id program I've tried.

Dell puts NO environmental monitoring in their systems (desktop or server)

90% of all of the SDRAM Dell systems I've tested come with Cas3 memory.

90% of all of the RDRAM Dell systems I've tested come with PC600 memory.

Their 815-based solutions are very unstable under Win2K

but by gosh, Dell (for us) is really cheap.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
look who they're competing against, it gives you a better frame of reference-Compaq, Gateway, and Hewlet Packard. Now when you compare Dell to these companies, how bad do they look? They start to look pretty good! Remember that the average user knows less about their computer than the average driver knows about their car (I was LMFAS when I saw two football players sitting on a curb with their girlfriends while a tow truck operator was replacing their flat with their spare!)

Suicide is painless...........

G

Did you actually have a question in your post? What you seem to be saying is that OEM computers suck. Ok, anyone who reads this post that doesn't know that OEM computers suck, tell us why you didn't know this, or why you disagree that OEM computers suck!>

G

Lots of intel OEMs use intel MBs/chipsets. You're processor isn't "slightly underclocked" that's the just the way the program is reporting the clock. 2 out of 800 mhz wouldn't increase stabiltiy if it wasn't already near the edge. 90% of RDRAM systems are PC600 because you bought them that way. They were sold with that for people who didn't feel like researching their buy and didn't want to spend the green stuff. Cas3 is by far much more common (especially in the past) and just as well in business situations. I think the bios lock is done so that employees don't decide to try tweeking their systems and end up messing them up.

TRENDING THREADS