Official Specs for the Asus Eee Keyboard Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
[citation][nom]thejerk[/nom]I'd like dual-core for that price, please.[/citation]
Yah, but I guess you pay for the extreme portability and unusual form factor. Otherwise, it's just a netbook with a smaller screen and bigger keyboard...

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I think this design was poorly thought out. I could see a potential use for the basic concept if you could pair it with a tablet to be able to get more productivity power and a keyboard for when you need it. Aside from that I don't really see much of a use for something like this and it would need different specs to really be useful for productive purposes.

G

Wow, you guys just don't get what this product's function actually is, eh? This isn't supposed to be like a laptop or netbook. It's supposed to be more like a set-top box that sits on your living room table and let's you watch videos, browse the web, etc, on your HDTV (hence the Ultra Wide Band transmission capability). The little screen is actually an input device, not a monitor.

That said... why is it XP and not MCE? Also, the price/power. Also, it does seem pretty useless, not even taking the price into consideration.

babachoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
When I first heard about the EEE, I didn't hear much, but it piqued my interest. The general idea of the form factor and limited functionality seemed like a decent idea to compete with the (nonexistent?) tablet market. But any novelty has now worn off because for $600 I could get a pretty nice laptop. One that has 4 times as much RAM, 10 to 20 times HDD space, a screen I can actually see (do they really expect people to stop typing and hold that entire contraption up to their face just to see what they just typed?), a non-Atom processor (I'm not sure an Atom could power anything other than a cell phone with any proficiency), and with an OS much better than XP.

Sorry Asus, as a G71 laptop and P6X58D Premium desktop owner, I really do love your products, but this one is just pathetic.

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
So Asus went from being the logically priced, well built, common sense performance machines, to the Apple-esque, flashy gadget/toy making price gouger? I don't like it, not one bit. Next they will be making anodized aluminum Monitors that cost $900...

This needs to be much cheaper to actually be something to buy somewhere around $200 and it would be a decent product but for $600 they have got to be out there dam minds you can get a laptop that can do all that and more and be 200% faster then that and run win 7. This will be a total failure and will only be bought by people that dont know any better and have money to burn on useless products just because its new.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
The main reason for the high price tag has got to be the wireless HDMI connection. That is the feature that makes this greater than a laptop for the same purpose, since you can be completely wireless yet controlling your tv from across the room. I personally will stick with my HTPC tower, but I can see the advantage of having the whole setup, including mouse/touchscreen, within a single small, portable form factor.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
1987 - $599 = Amiga 500: 7Mhz 68000 (16/32bit CPU)/ 512k RAM (K not MB) / 880K floppy drive. 640x400 @ 4096 color graphics, 4 channel audio, PAR / SER / 2x mouse/joy ports.

- No Hard Drive (Requires a $250+ HD controller first)
- No Modem ($300 = 2400baud - much slower than 56,000 baud which is about 1/200th of todays typical connection)
- No CD-ROM drive ($500+) or CD-R drive (not made yet)

But it did multi-task, play games and still functional enough to use the internet today. :)

Here is what it looks like: http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/amiga/h/a500ful.jpg The PSU is about as heavy as todays 15" notebooks :)

But for JUST a keyboard that will still require wiring for power and to a monitor... not sure of the market.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
1987 - $599 = Amiga 500: 7Mhz 68000 (16/32bit CPU)/ 512k RAM (K not MB) / 880K floppy drive. 640x400 @ 4096 color graphics, 4 channel audio, PAR / SER / 2x mouse/joy ports.

- No Hard Drive (Requires a $250+ HD controller first)
- No Modem ($300 = 2400baud - much slower than 56,000 baud which is about 1/200th of todays typical connection)
- No CD-ROM drive ($500+) or CD-R drive (not made yet)

But it did multi-task, play games and still functional enough to use the internet today. :)

Here is what it looks like: http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/amiga/h/a500ful.jpg The PSU is about as heavy as todays 15" notebooks :)

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I can see the potential, however, 4 hour battery life...that is barely enough for the extended version of "The Fellowship of the Ring". If you want to hang out all weekend watching TV, and bumming around the internet, I see many trips to the AC charger in your future.

nusgo

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I love products from ASUS, I've own a MoBo M2A-VM and now I bought me an UltraPortable UL50VT (which is not that portable, no matter what Best Buy says), but is a great buy. For me ASUS was just about good products @ a fair price. But that's all over, this keyboard is way too expensive, it doesn't justify itself. I don't see the market for it to exploit.

Side apart, I'm sure if this was introduced by Steve Jobs it would become an instant sales hit.

babachoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
[citation][nom]SAAIELLO[/nom] This will be a total failure and will only be bought by people that dont know any better and have money to burn on useless products just because its new.[/citation]

You'd be surprised how many customers that might be. Just look at all the people who buy Apple/Mac products. They pay $2500 for laptops that have onboard graphics and old processors. They pay $700 for a 10" Ipod Touch (Ipad) that can't make phone calls nor function as a laptop. There's a lot of clueless people out there who buy whatever the mainstream media and advertising tells them to buy.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
The concept is nice but it is another niche item... what I am disgruntled about more than the price point is the 4hr battery life... and wtf is the ** for after the battery time? I could look it up but it should have been included in the article.

goodsyntax

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
At this price it should be packing the Atom D510, at least 2GB RAM, Win7 and a keyboard charging dock a-la Logitech DiNovo Edge that has useful ports on it like HDMI, DVI, S/PDif.

18 months ago, these specs were good, if a bit underpowered, and was rumored to be at least $100 less. Today, this combination of hardware can be bested by a modern smart phone, Windows XP is nearly End-of-Life and the costs puts it in direct competition with eeeBox and mainstream laptops.

The form factor is indeed unique and has a lot of potential, but the cost is high and the hardware implementation is already obsolete. Too bad...I expected better from Asus.

G

Like mentioned, the price is a little steep.
I'd expect they had at least the N450 in there for that price, and a 2GB ram stick.
These days 2GB even for netbooks is the norm (especially since they reduce the swap file to nearly zero to improve on speed)!

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
i couldn't personally use this... but my mother is buying one to replace the laptop she only uses for Netflix she streams on her HD TV... small for factor and easy to use on couch... battery life doesnt matter because it never leaves the couch...

thats about the most practical use i could see in this... other than maybe be nice to take notes with in a classroom setting....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS