Ok, here is my final build... Finally. I'm ready to order it, I'd just like some feedback if possible.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kR73mG

So, assuming that link worked, that is the build.

I'm using Newegg.ca for everything, I'm very new to this and would prefer to deal with one re-seller.

I went with the Z97 because it was on sale and onle $30 more than the H97 I originally planned on going with, so someday I can SLI or overclock if I decide I want to.

I went with 16GB of RAM, because it may become relevant for gaming someday and RAM prices seem to be rising all the time.

I chose the i5 4690 because I won't be OCing, and it seems to be very good, and less expensive than the Xeon.

The GPU was on sale and came highly reviewed.

The HDD is simple and cheap, I don't need much more than that lmao. I won't be using an SSD since it's an additional cost I threw into RAM or something.

The monitor is a decent 1080p, if I understand, and can downsize it 720p if necessary, which is nice.

The case is a bit pricier than I originally intended, but has lots of fans and tons of excellent reviews.

The power supply was highly recommended by some and seems very good, plus it has 10 year warranty... Seems pretty awesome.

I just threw the keyboard in there to get a better idea of costs, I dunno what peripherals I'll use.

I'm uncertain whether to go with Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. I'm leaning towards Win7 because I'm familiar with it.

I'll be pretty much using this build for gaming, not much else that's intensive. No video editing or coding or anything like that.

*UPDATE*

Am I missing anything at all? I do have a different aftermarket cooler because the Vortex wasn't available. The 212 EVO weighs too much for my motherboard, I don't know if the 450g max weight is legit, on Gigabyte's website, but I figured I'd respect it and find a lighter cooler. Anyways, I'm only getting one to be on the safe side for cooling the CPU.

Thank you for your time :).

Solution
Just get 8gb RAM. Simple as that. For gaming 16gb adds no gains and it will not for a LONG time. Most games still use 3gb or less.

You would be WAY better off saving the money and putting it towards a better GPU. A gtx770 is a HUGE improvement over a gtx760 and is attainable on your budget easily.

You have no need for a case with "superior air flow" You do not have a 'HOT' GPU and you will not be overclocking the CPU.

No, you do not buy aftermarket coolers. AMD coolers are fine. Don't let anyone tell you they run hot. The R9 cards with non-reference coolers run perfectly cool. No problems.

titanHUNTER

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 24, 2014

He was correct regarding the PSU and heat dissipation! SMH The less the efficiency, the more watts the PSU has to pull from the wall...the watts that are not used are dissipated as heat!

titanHUNTER

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 24, 2014

It depends on the air flow in your case and whether your PSU fan is facing up or down. They do not have heat issues, but they do exhaust a lot of warm air. If you do not have proper air flow, heat can and will build up, increasing the temp of the GPU. I recommend that you get a case with a side panel fan if you do plan on Crossfiring down the line.

Have you ever had any luck using a side panel fan with multi-GPU builds? I tried one with my gtx570s, and my temps went UP a few degrees. I have seen a few studies that show how it messes up the flow of sir from front to back and traps the hot air in the case.

I believe a side fan only really works for multi-GPU setups if you have reference coolers on the cards. For other style cards, all you really need is a strong top exhaust fan/fans as the hot air is blown up from the cards.

Also, you ALWAYS ALWAYS want the PSU fan facing down not up.

You are neglecting MANY things like heasink quality, hybrid fans, fan speed, heat tolerances.

Just because a PSU wastes more watts as heat, DOES NOT mean it will run hotter. There was a test done by hardwaresecrets.com where they ran alot of PSUs through heat tests at load. The results were everywhere. Some platinum PSUs were hotter than some bronze ones, and vice versa. It is all about the PSUs cooling system, which varies for EVERY PSU. So a blanket statement like "more efficient PSUs always run cooler" is 100% not truth. The only truth you can say about it is that more efficient PSUs convert less energy to heat.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

Would you recommend something like a Vishera FX 8350 over an i5 4590 or i5 4690 for gaming purposes?

I'm guessing the 280x is less expensive than the 770?

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

How exactly do you get "good" airflow? Simply keep the PSU fan facing away from other components, and fans and some space in the and around the case? Well, I was looking at Z97s recently, and I guess I would SLI unless I went for an AMD GPU. I'm kinda torn, I was set on the GTX 760, but now I'm not so sure.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

What about Nvidia GPUs, are their stock coolers good too? And just for the sake of argument, do aftermarket coolers exist for GPUs?

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

In that case, which ones have the best internal cooling systems?

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

I'm not really big on overclocking, I've never done it... Or even owned anything better than a cheapish retail laptop. But I was going for a Z97 so I could overclock and SLI down the road, just to be safe, in case I need those things.

So, no real reason not to go with the 280x other than fanboy/girl reasons? Like, the 770 isn't made with higher quality parts or anything?

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

I'm somewhat inclined to go with Nvidia, but it might have a lot to do with the fanboys' advice. But saving money for the same performance is always nice.......

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

Hmmm, well I'll be ordering pretty soon, within the upcoming weeks. I'm going to take some time to review and research AMD GPUs, and then decide which one to go with. Thank you for all your valuable help! :) It's been great chatting with you.

ccasystems

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013

I wouldn't say it's pointless...extra ram can always be used for hard drive cache, which makes quite a difference in a lot of applications including online MMO games. Go with windows 8.1, you can make it run just like 7, but leaner and with more features.

Genocide Joe

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

If I may add my two cents.

I have been an avid PC gamer since 1999, and have built countless PC's for personal use as well as for friends. I have been down the AMD/Intel route where it comes to CPUs and GPUs. I have run single cards and both Crossfire/SLI combinations, and have settled in firmly with the following:

Go with the Intel CPU and the NVidia GPU. Buy the best single card solution that you can afford at the time, and then, IF DESIRED...add a second GPU later on. I am currently using a single GTX 780 and will NOT be adding a second one to my build, as the single 780 dances circles around anything else I have built.

I have recently built a 780 SLI rig for a friend and was able to compare it side by side with my single 780 with him sitting next to me. Yes, his benchmarking scores are higher than mine across the board as it comes to FPS. However, neither him nor I can see a single difference when gaming as both the single and SLI builds are smooth as silk.

Also as far as ram goes. 8 gigs is all that you currently need unless you are planning to do video rendering. If your main focus is gaming, 8 is certainly enough, as while gaming I have never seen ram usage hit the 3 gig level. It has always been 2.6 at max; that said, if the dollar amount is minimal I would go with the 16 for future-proofing. IF the dollar amount is minimal.

Lastly, go with Windows 8.1 and download a free software called Class Shell at www.ninite.com

This uses far less resources and allows your 8.1 to look and behave exactly like Win 7. I went to 8.1 kicking and screaming but figured I should try it before beating it up and will never look back.

PS, slip an SSD into your build and you will surely have a happy face on!

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

What?! The extra RAM can be used by the HDD to actually improve performance in some cases? That seems pretty significant, although, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with 8GB for now.

But, people say that some games run poorly or not at all on 8.1.

You have to manually set up a HDD cache, and in my experience they make very little to no difference.

I have never had an issue with any game on 8.1. My games all run perfectly.

Genocide Joe

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

I agree...I have not had one problem myself with 8.1

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

Well, in that case, for gaming, would you be more inclined to recommend AMD CPUs? Since the GPUs run the same basically, the AMD prices are better but Nvidia has sweet deals like free games. On the other hand, AMD gives away bundles of games, which is sweet, even get to choose which games. But not all cards support it :/.

Genocide Joe

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

After building MANY PCs using both AMD and Intel CPUs, as well as, AMD and NVidia GPUs, I would certainly go with an Intel CPU and an NVidia GPU. This is of course based upon personal opinion and customer feedback. My most requested and praised "gaming" builds were a 4670K CPU and a GTX 780 GPU with 8 Gigs of ram and an SSD.

I have nothing against AMD CPUs. I quite like them. I like the idea of something being less expensive and through overclocking, getting very good performance out of it. That is not for everyone though, and in the case where the person would rather mess with overclocking as a hobby, and not for real performance, or not overclock at all, an i5 fits the bill.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

8GB of RAM eh? Good, glad that's still enough. I'm definitely leaning towards Intel, but no so much towards Nvidia. Although, my build currently has a GTX 760. Thank you for the feedback, I will keep this in mind!