Ok, here is my final build... Finally. I'm ready to order it, I'd just like some feedback if possible.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kR73mG

So, assuming that link worked, that is the build.

I'm using Newegg.ca for everything, I'm very new to this and would prefer to deal with one re-seller.

I went with the Z97 because it was on sale and onle $30 more than the H97 I originally planned on going with, so someday I can SLI or overclock if I decide I want to.

I went with 16GB of RAM, because it may become relevant for gaming someday and RAM prices seem to be rising all the time.

I chose the i5 4690 because I won't be OCing, and it seems to be very good, and less expensive than the Xeon.

The GPU was on sale and came highly reviewed.

The HDD is simple and cheap, I don't need much more than that lmao. I won't be using an SSD since it's an additional cost I threw into RAM or something.

The monitor is a decent 1080p, if I understand, and can downsize it 720p if necessary, which is nice.

The case is a bit pricier than I originally intended, but has lots of fans and tons of excellent reviews.

The power supply was highly recommended by some and seems very good, plus it has 10 year warranty... Seems pretty awesome.

I just threw the keyboard in there to get a better idea of costs, I dunno what peripherals I'll use.

I'm uncertain whether to go with Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. I'm leaning towards Win7 because I'm familiar with it.

I'll be pretty much using this build for gaming, not much else that's intensive. No video editing or coding or anything like that.

*UPDATE*

Am I missing anything at all? I do have a different aftermarket cooler because the Vortex wasn't available. The 212 EVO weighs too much for my motherboard, I don't know if the 450g max weight is legit, on Gigabyte's website, but I figured I'd respect it and find a lighter cooler. Anyways, I'm only getting one to be on the safe side for cooling the CPU.

Thank you for your time :).

Solution
Just get 8gb RAM. Simple as that. For gaming 16gb adds no gains and it will not for a LONG time. Most games still use 3gb or less.

You would be WAY better off saving the money and putting it towards a better GPU. A gtx770 is a HUGE improvement over a gtx760 and is attainable on your budget easily.

You have no need for a case with "superior air flow" You do not have a 'HOT' GPU and you will not be overclocking the CPU.

I disagree. I recently bought a second 660ti for $150 to pair with the one I have had for a while. I get consistent performance between that of an r9 290 and an r9 290x. For $150 I could not be happier. Adding a second 760 down the road is a great plan.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

So the main difference is the SeaSonic has 550w or something around there? And the gold rating is simply for "reducing" your electricity bill? That's lame, the difference would be marginal.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

I was thinking that too, it's amazing, instead of rendering your old GPU obselete and spending big bucks on a new one, you can use the old one and get the same type for a lower price than what you bought the first one for, and get some massive performance boosts, that's a hell of an opportunity. The Z97's markup price is pretty worth it for that option down the road. Thanks for all the feedback, from everyone.

Yes, that is correct.

Gracodana

Distinguished

I guess it is a bit down to personal preferance I wouldn't really recommend but you would I guess if you want to do but I think it's better to have newer hardware personally.

This is 100% an opinion.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

That's a lot of money saved for going with the SeaSonic. The money saved on the electricity bill is pretty minor, so the gold rating seems like a marketing gimmick, and the 750w is probably more than I'll ever use.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

Is there any objective reason for going with newer hardware as opposed to SLI? Like, does newer hardware get better PhysX or anything?

Gracodana

Distinguished

just look at the 750 and 650 it will be those sorts of differances, you get more power Efficiency such as the 750/ ti can run off just the PCI. You also do get better techniques like physx as you say.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

So there are legitimate reasons, it just comes down to whether you want to spend the big bucks on a new GPU and render your old one obsolete, maybe sell it for a fraction of its original value online.

Selling GPUs 2+ years down the road is never a very good idea. You will likely get 50% for them. It is better to just keep them around. I am a firm believer in buying a second card used for cheap and using SLI/ CF instead of buying a whole new card as long as the pair of cards will be the same/ close in performance.

For example, I can buy a second 660ti for $160 and have performance between a 290 and a 290x. Why would I buy one of those when I can have the same/ better performance for only $160?

Everyone who complains about micro-stuttering/ no SLI/CF support is just making excuses. I have used multi GPU setups my whole life (AMD and Nvidia) and I have never run into micro-stuttering or game support issues that have made me wish I went with a single card instead.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

You would keep the old cards even if you don't use them for anything?

Ya... Now that SLI works better than it did 7 years ago, SLIing is an awesome opportunity. I'm pretty set on a Z97 just for that capability right now.
That's good, about the instability issues being mostly nonesense, but if you do experience issues like that, can you turn one GPU off to get rid of that issue?

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

I'm seriously learning towards the GTX 760 of all now, then, I mean I can buy one and enjoy it until I find I need another one, that is so badass and I see so much value!
I love that, how SLI doesn't get in the way in any circumstance.

Gracodana

Distinguished

you might think of a 770 because a 760 is good but it is struggling with some games on ultra so the 770 would give you enough horse power to deliver a good framerate at high settings when only using one card in case the game didn't support SLI.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

That is a good point, it is only an extra $100. On the other hand, I could also go with an R9 280, can the R9 280 compete with the GTX 770?

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

Yes, I've read about that being the case. It seems AMD cards have more issues than Nvidia cards too. All the Newegg reviews for AMD GPUs are pretty poor, they seem to have a lot of issues.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

So take them with a grain of salt? That's good.

Gracodana

Distinguished

I prefer nvidia cards as a whole but those reviews I would disagree with AMD runs a bit hotter and uses more power but they are still powerful and have support for a lot of games that they run better then nvidia

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

Yes, the heat is kinda sketchy, can you buy GPU coolers? The extra power is no biggie to me, it barely impacts the electricity bill. So, some games run better on Nvidia and others on AMD? A lot of the R9 series GPUs have complaints of leaking oil and what not, stock fans breaking down, in the Newegg reviews.

Yeah, people like to hate AMD for no reason. I personally like their CPUs and GPUs quite alot.

Generally people seem to think and say that the 770 blows away the 280x, when in reality they are basically the same. Some games run better on the 770 and others on the 280x.