[SOLVED] Old 4k gaming gpu?

Dec 21, 2021
I have a dell optiplex 3010 I gave my parents and now I am getting a new psu so I will give them the thermaltake smart 600w.

They will mostly not use the pc but my mother does like playing old cods specifically bo2 and bo1 zombies they have a 4k surround sound in the basement and I would like to be able to play full 4k on whatever card I get. Would a gtx 580 be able to play bo2 on 4k60? I would like to keep the settings higher too I know it doesn’t take much for a gpu to run 4k high at 60 on such an old game but I would like to keep it on the cheaper side maybe a 660 or 650?
I will probably wait until prices drop until I purchase a gpu but if I find a good deal I might snag one before then. Thanks. :)

specs of the optiplex:
I5-3470
8gb 1600mhz dual channel ram
500gb sea sonic 2.5inch hdd
Thermaltake Smart series 600w

Solution
Well, if you want 4k60, the absolute bare minimum GPU you need is something with DP 1.4/HDMI2 so it can actually output 4k60 in RGB888 format. Otherwise, you are limited to YUV 4:2:0 which will cause images to look blurry/smeared since color bandwidth is 1/4th of brightness'.

The lowest-end Nvidia GPU that supports HDMI2 is the GTX950. For DP 1.4, you need a GT1010 and up.

My GTX1050 can do 4k60 fine in simple games like Portal 2. Based on my limited experiments trying to play WoW and FFXV on my UHD TV, I'd say a GPU about twice as powerful would be the minimum requirement to drive 4k60 with some degree of comfort.
Even with older games 4K60 is gonna be hard. I don't think you'll be able to run 4K games even at lower settings on anything older than the GTX 1000 series. And then there's the question if you don't have a bottleneck elsewhere. I wouldn't dare touch any 4K games with my overclocked 8700K and a GTX 970.

Reactions: Dean0919
Dec 21, 2021
Even with older games 4K60 is gonna be hard. I don't think you'll be able to run 4K games even at lower settings on anything older than the GTX 1000 series. And then there's the question if you don't have a bottleneck elsewhere. I wouldn't dare touch any 4K games with my overclocked 8700K and a GTX 970.
It’s that hard to run 4k on old games? My old 660ti I had was running 1080p high at 200fps on bo2 zombies so I figured That they could achieve around 4k60 they’d be fine with 1440 I’m sure 1080 I guess is ok but I know it will run more than 1080.

Look up Zwormz on YouTube he tried some gpus at 4k On bo2 I should actually go watch those videos myself to get a reference point.
I can tell you from first hand experience, my brother plays bo2 with a i3 8100 and a 750ti if I am not mistaken about the exact CPU, 4k resolution with mixed settings of low, medium and high with average 65fps. He gets some dips of 40s but mostly stays a bit above 60fps.

InvalidError

Titan
Well, if you want 4k60, the absolute bare minimum GPU you need is something with DP 1.4/HDMI2 so it can actually output 4k60 in RGB888 format. Otherwise, you are limited to YUV 4:2:0 which will cause images to look blurry/smeared since color bandwidth is 1/4th of brightness'.

The lowest-end Nvidia GPU that supports HDMI2 is the GTX950. For DP 1.4, you need a GT1010 and up.

My GTX1050 can do 4k60 fine in simple games like Portal 2. Based on my limited experiments trying to play WoW and FFXV on my UHD TV, I'd say a GPU about twice as powerful would be the minimum requirement to drive 4k60 with some degree of comfort.

Solution
Dec 21, 2021
I can tell you from first hand experience, my brother plays bo2 with a i3 8100 and a 750ti if I am not mistaken about the exact CPU, 4k resolution with mixed settings of low, medium and high with average 65fps. He gets some dips of 40s but mostly stays a bit above 60fps.
Yes you are correct the cpu are very similar. If a 750 ti does it that’s all need to know as a 750 ti is little less than the 660 ti and prices for 660 ti to 680 are similar so when prices drop I’ll look for 680 or similar as I do want to stay above 60 and maybe turn settings up a little with some oc thanks for the reply!

Dec 21, 2021

I know about all that hdmi stuff and I didn’t even think about it I will be forced to use hdmi unfortunately so I will have to do maxwell or better won’t i?

Dec 21, 2021

You know lots more than me obviously I know to check that kinds of stuff but I forgot thank you for telling me and I learned a little too. Thanks

InvalidError

Titan
I know about all that hdmi stuff and I didn’t even think about it I will be forced to use hdmi unfortunately so I will have to do maxwell or better won’t i?
If you don't want blurry colors or to be stuck at 30Hz refresh at 4k, yes.

Additionally, 4GB of VRAM is likely the minimum viable for 4k too - doesn't make much sense to run native 4k using the lowest-resolution textures available to squeeze everything into 2-3GB of VRAM. While I like the extra sharpness on 4k, it isn't quite as pleasant when the textures end up looking like they are out of a SNES game or worse.

Dec 21, 2021

Additionally, 4GB of VRAM is likely the minimum viable for 4k too - doesn't make much sense to run native 4k using the lowest-resolution textures available to squeeze everything into 2-3GB of VRAM. While I like the extra sharpness on 4k, it isn't quite as pleasant when the textures end up looking like they are out of a SNES game or worse.
Okay I understand I’ll definitely wait until prices drop for maxwell cards as I need to fix my main pc right now but thanks for the help depending on how much prices drop I’ll look at 960 or better as maxwell are usually great over locking cards. In my main pc im not getting display on my 780 ti so im going to fix that first and then I’ll start looking for Maxwell Cards. Thanks for the help guys I will now close this thread.

Dec 21, 2021

Well I don’t know how to close the thread lol