[SOLVED] Old HDD not showing up after cloning it to new SSD using optical drive bay.

May 10, 2020
I installed SSD into my friends laptop(Lenovo Ideapad 15-ibd), but I put it into optical drive bay, then cloned the contents of HDD onto the SSD, after that switched them. (It only has one slot for storage device, expect drive bay.) The laptop uses Windows 7 proffesional.
The OS from SSD boots fine, also the old hdd drive is showing up and working fine and after booting up I get a window to restart now or restart later. After restarting the hdd isn't showing anywhere, not disk managmenet, not even list disk in cmd.
What should I do?

Last edited:
Remove the hdd and see if you can boot normally.
Assuming you can, what are your plans for the old HDD?
What did you use to clone the HDD?
By any chance is the ssd a samsung?

If you can not boot with only the newly cloned ssd, something went wrong in the process.

May 10, 2020
Remove the hdd and see if you can boot normally.
Assuming you can, what are your plans for the old HDD?
What did you use to clone the HDD?
By any chance is the ssd a samsung?

If you can not boot with only the newly cloned ssd, something went wrong in the process.
I can boot with only SSD, I used Macrium Reflect free, for the old HDD he will use it as extra storage for games and other files. The HDD is detected in BIOS

May 10, 2020
Remove the SSD and using your W10 install media navigate thru troubleshoot>advanced> cmd prompt and run the diskpart clean command on the hdd.
https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/...-a-drive-through-the-command-prompt-005929en/

The UEFI bios may be blocking access to the HDD since it's bootable.
I formated the hdd in another computer. It still only shows hdd in BIOS. The thing is the only hard drive that doesn't show on Windows is the old HDD which came with the laptop. But ssd drives works fine, don't
I might just buy USB to Sata adapter for that HDD, and use it as external one. And/or just buy another hdd, but im not sure if it will be also just only be detected in BIOS.
The other thing I regret is buying only 500GB SSD, it would of been more benefical, in this case to just buy 1TB SSD, but right now that would too expensive.

Last edited: