Question Old psu cables fried 1 ssd but not the other 2?

Jan 27, 2023
So I used the old psu cable because I didnt know that you could fry your hard drives, it is what it is. But what I dont get is, I used it on all 3 of my SSD's 2 of them nothing happen to them and 1 of them is not recognised by bios. PC never started when I tried to use the old psu cables, just did a click and turned itself off as if it was trying to save the components. So what I am wondering could the 3rd SSD disk be alive? I tried to use the same SATA cables and power cables as the other 2 and still not recognised by bios. (There was no burnt smell or anything)

USAFRet

Titan
So I used the old psu cable because I didnt know that you could fry your hard drives, it is what it is. But what I dont get is, I used it on all 3 of my SSD's 2 of them nothing happen to them and 1 of them is not recognised by bios. PC never started when I tried to use the old psu cables, just did a click and turned itself off as if it was trying to save the components. So what I am wondering could the 3rd SSD disk be alive? I tried to use the same SATA cables and power cables as the other 2 and still not recognised by bios. (There was no burnt smell or anything)
It might be.

The only way to know is to connect it/them to a properly configured system, and see what happens.

Reactions: mikehenro
Jan 27, 2023
So I did that, and everything seems to be working fine just not that one ssd. When I've checked everyone elses stories about this they usually say that all their SSD's went out when they switched. But only one of mine, I tried different SATA cables, (even the same ones that works for the other 2) And I also used the same power cable that I am using for the other 2 but nothing. But I find it strange that only one of them got fried in that case and not the other 2. (And obviously the one I needed the most was the one that died).

USAFRet

Titan
So I did that, and everything seems to be working fine just not that one ssd. When I've checked everyone elses stories about this they usually say that all their SSD's went out when they switched. But only one of mine, I tried different SATA cables, (even the same ones that works for the other 2) And I also used the same power cable that I am using for the other 2 but nothing. But I find it strange that only one of them got fried in that case and not the other 2. (And obviously the one I needed the most was the one that died).
There is no "usually".

Everyone has a different set of parts and results.

Sometimes, it is far more than just toasted drives.

Reactions: mikehenro

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Jan 27, 2023
If you pay a great deal of money to a specialized recovery lab to try and find out, maybe.

Otherwise, if you've tried it on different PCs on different cables on different parts, not by you or I.
I havent tried it on another pc just yet. So amybe there is hope. Regardless, I do appriciate the info