older sata to Sata III ?

veddan

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
I have an old 500 GB laptop hard drive from a MacBook Pro with an sata connector. It has two separate connectors close together.

I'd like to use it with my 990FXA-UD3 motherboard, but the connectors are different.

Do they make cables that convert from the laptop drive to my motherboard connections?

Solution
Old SATA used the SATA data Cable and the older Molex connector + SATA power cables. Apple specific HDD's also use the small 4 pin connector to monitor heat for the fan speed...

So, it should have the SATA power and Data connectors close together... Just use those and ignore the others.

...??? Why are you putting an "ancient" HDD in a new system?
Old SATA used the SATA data Cable and the older Molex connector + SATA power cables. Apple specific HDD's also use the small 4 pin connector to monitor heat for the fan speed...

So, it should have the SATA power and Data connectors close together... Just use those and ignore the others.

...??? Why are you putting an "ancient" HDD in a new system?

Solution

veddan

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014

trying to save some cash, but just saw some 1 TB WD drives for 50-60 dollars, so it makes more sense to upgrade. Just didn't want to spend over $100 if I could avoid it.